Filling your bottle

• fill the bottles yourself

Votes: 133 67.2%
  • have a trained person from the site filling for you

Votes: 65 32.8%

• Total voters

Huni J

Nov 23, 2013
But should an expert be expected to know what you have done to your air system in the privacy of your home.

For example, you put WD40 in your fill nipple (DO NOT DO THIS!) and then hand it over to the expert, who then promptly sets fire to everything with a large explosion.

Im not trying to scare you off, but the best method is probably education, so you can do it yourself safely.
I agree with you totally. One should be educated enough to know ins and outs before handling things practically! So again, it leaves with two choices, you rather learn by yourself or you rather get an expert to demonstrate or teach you. Both are correct ways I think.q

Abyss

Feb 11, 2014
Kettering
As a new member I hope no one minds me posting in this thread,but I would have to say I would prefere a trained/ experienced person to fill my bottle,and hopefully take a little time after the game to show me how to do it myself,I am new to the sport and don't fully understand how to fill my own bottles yet so will be looking for instruction at every opportunity,as I think it's important to know how your kit works

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
As a new member I hope no one minds me posting in this thread,but I would have to say I would prefere a trained/ experienced person to fill my bottle,and hopefully take a little time after the game to show me how to do it myself,I am new to the sport and don't fully understand how to fill my own bottles yet so will be looking for instruction at every opportunity,as I think it's important to know how your kit works
Good point of view to have

Read up the air information link on page 9, this takes the UKPSF HPA1 air safety information and adds a quick guide to filling up at an air station.
There are a few YouTube videos about showing how to fill

No site will have a problem with helping out a new player and going through how to fill.
When I began fills were obtained by either handing your bottle to a bloke in a shed, doing it yourself with no instruction other then seeing the others around you or asking one of them to run you through it

Reactions: Receboga

Abyss

Feb 11, 2014
Kettering
Thanks for that I will go find the stuff on page 9 sounds very useful,strangely although wearing air in different circumstances in the brigade we never refilled the bottles lol we had techs for that weeks of training to qualify to use breathing apparatus and nothing on actually how they fill lol

Receboga

May 12, 2014
London
On my first walk on i had no clue how to do it, no one even bothered to ask do we all know how to fill the tank. So in my opinion a short training, reminder before every event is a must. For some reason those guys assume that anyone owning some gear knows everything about paintball :)

Reactions: Canon Fodder

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
On my first walk on i had no clue how to do it, no one even bothered to ask do we all know how to fill the tank. So in my opinion a short training, reminder before every event is a must. For some reason those guys assume that anyone owning some gear knows everything about paintball :)
Part of the reason walkon's are cheaper is that you're using your own stuff and require less staff to look after you, the best thing to do if you're unsure about how to do anything is ask one of the other players or grab a member of staff, they will be happy to help.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
If you're prepared to go the the expense of buying your own kit you should really be proactive in learning how to use and maintain it. I don't mean that to sound condescending.

No one that I've ever met would ever refuse help to anyone who asked, even over what some would consider a relatively simple process so don't ever be afraid to tap someone on the shoulder and ask a question :)

Reactions: Canon Fodder

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
If you're prepared to go the the expense of buying your own kit you should really be proactive in learning how to use and maintain it. I don't mean that to sound condescending.

No one that I've ever met would ever refuse help to anyone who asked, even over what some would consider a relatively simple process so don't ever be afraid to tap someone on the shoulder and ask a question :)
Plus I imagine from a liability point of veiw sites should not fill peoples bottles up for them given they have no idea of the history of the bottle. Sure it might be in date and look fine but how does the marshall doing the fills know if someone in the past decided to oil a fill nipple? At least with the site bottles they know the history of them.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Some important points made above

Sites are fully liable for the safety of their staff
Liability under that, their insurance etc will require them to be responsible for the fill station and the site cylinders
They have no control over customer cylinders, when bottles are checked they can only make basic checks that it's uk legal, is in date, is the correct cylinder for the fill station and a passing glance over condition

They cannot be 100% sure of joe bloggs' cylinder, so unless their risk assessments & insurance state only staff operate fill stations then they offset that liability to the player

Idealy no one should get to touch the fill station without a basic check of the bottle, familiarization with the particular fill station and an assurance of basic air safety knowledge

Cue the ukpsf air pass
This was brought in a few years back to get a minimum level of 'competence' to players
The site says self fills are for air pass holders only, checks for an existing pass when players get bottles checked and runs a 15 minute session for those without (also over 18s only)

This has died down again, but as a new player ask for someone to show you what to do, preferably staff

See the air safety information / hpa 1 linked earlier in the thread for general information