Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

First PA sour point

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Enough with the hugs and kisses, kids. Play nice.
Besides, this thread's supposed to be about the event. You want to trash peeps do it elsewhere.

So--sounds like PA is on track. In a move reminiscent of past World Cups--and what better event to emulate?--I hear there were cows next door and nets on only three sides of most fields. Were the spectators required to wear goggles? Was there enough space to accomodate them all? Couple that with a nearly invisible (but first rate apparently) officiating corps and it seems things are perfectly set-up to bring on TV. Is Sky anything like OLN?

disclaimer--please feel free to set me straight as I wasn't there--just what I've heard.
Ahhh...I love this...

Revised plans for round 3 are to just scrap the idea of netting altogether, it's just a waste of time anyway isn't it? I've decided that next time, we can just sit in the pub for two days rather than waste time trying to put nets up which gale force winds are just going to bring down again anyway...makes my life easier.

Spectators can walk around the outside of the fields, the players round the inside, security controlled staging area. In retrospect, I guess taping off the areas that we thought might be dangerous to spectators was a bit of a lame idea too. Next time we'll just let them go where they like and I can save even more money by not having people do security either.

We've also decided that spectators don't need to bother wearing goggles, after all they're an expensive piece of kit so we can't really expect people to buy them just so they can watch and they can always put their hands over their faces and squint between their fingers if they're worried about getting hit.

On that note we've also decided to scrap insurance as well...after all if we aint got it, no one claim against it...simple really, wish I'd thought of it sooner and just pocketed a couple of grand and gone on holiday...oh well...

The cows next door? Damn, I knew we forgot something. Unfortunately the field we're using is dedicated to the PA venue and the field next to it is not used by live stock either. I did intend to ask to have the cows grazing in the field for a whole week before the event just to make sure it was well & truly full of sh*t for the players to walk & slide through...god knows I seem to wade through enough of it....unfortunately I forgot, but next time I'll remember and on the day I'll make sure they're lined up right in the next field so that players in the dead box can still have something to shoot at when they get bored.

Oh, must remember to import a couple of thousand rabbits to make sure there's plenty of ankle breaking pot holes too...I could do with a laugh and I reckon I'd make a fortune from "Kirsties Home Videos" while at the same time sacking the full time grounds-men who maintain the pitches...

Wow...this great...I can't believe how much money I'm not spending...

Oh yeah…and ref's...what a flipping waste of time. Especially the idea of trying to create an independent refereeing organisation and trying to get people outside of the industry to take paintball seriously. I mean c'mon…professionalism in paintball. Oh god! laughing so hard I nearly got a hernia... Go on, tell me another. What a load of bollox that idea obviously was, I can just get a load of pimply 14 year olds who work at some site to do it...I'm sure they'll do just as well...won't they?

But hang on a sec, everyone cheats don't they? So if we just accept that everyone cheats, why even bother with refs at all? In fact, we'll just throw out the whole rule book altogether, it's pretty frikin' pointless anyway...you only need rules for a sport and as paintball isn't and probably isn't going to be, lets just full auto and lamp the living crap outa each other till we run out of paint...oh no...wait a sec…save some so you can shoot at road signs on the way home...

Baca, I'm so glad you weren't there as you'd have been so deeply disappointed, lucky you listened to such accurate reporting of the event tho which enabled you to make such a constructive post. Lesser men wouldn't have the balls to post something just on hearsay and rumor, but you've obviously got what so many lack.

Your open support and constructive advice has opened my eyes...and I thank you. I'll try and get everything just the way you described it and you have my open invitation to come and inspect things on May 16th at Round 3...and don't bring your goggles...after all you won't need 'em :D

Mikey D

I suck
Sep 14, 2002
Birmingham
'oh a sarcasm detector, what a reaaaalllly great invention'
*boom*

keep up the good work. you know we all appreciate it :cool:

Parksy

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Newcastle, UK
Even with the problems the tournament has had... mainly the wrath of the gods type apocaliptic weather it is still the tourney series to play in the UK. Personally think there isn't a tourney series came anywhere near it in this country.

Any tournament will have problems of some sort. It is how they are dealt with that stands them apart...

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by Hatts
Wow...this great...I can't believe how much money I'm not spending...
Does this mean a reduction in the game-fee is in the pipeline because if so I could probably get more of the bloody students on my team to attend events (or not unless I could find free paint for 'em :rolleyes: )

Seriously though it was a great tourney Hats although you might want to consider getting Rodbaston College to relocate to the sunny south... there's a nice spot just down the road from my house that would be ideal... ;) :p

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Hatts
Ahhh...I love this...

Baca, I'm so glad you weren't there as you'd have been so deeply disappointed, lucky you listened to such accurate reporting of the event tho which enabled you to make such a constructive post. Lesser men wouldn't have the balls to post something just on hearsay and rumor, but you've obviously got what so many lack.
No need to thank me--it's why they pay me the miniscule bucks.

Just to make sure I've got this correct now you're saying that there was netting on all sides of each field? And there were ample refs to do the job properly? And there was plenty of space for the attending crowds? But no cows--how disappointing. And as I'm unfamiliar with Euroland TV someone might offer a comparison of just where Sky fits into the hierarchy of networks over there.
Additionally, it seems to me that if the goal is to be the best and brightest you ought to be prepared to be questioned on results. I have certainly never shrunk from offering an opinion on the biggest tourneys--regardless of the fallout. If you re-read my post it is mostly questions. That you have chosen to see it in a negative light perhaps reflects more directly on you than on me. :)

[EDIT ADDED: have just seen posts by Jose and others and they offer fair explanations of the circumstances. How hard was that?]

Silentbob

Gold Mentalist
Apr 17, 2002
Isle of Man
hamptonmanor.org
AHAHA

"Best comback EVER"

Hatts is sarcy, more sarcy than you BACA!!

(Sorry guys, I just read the comeback in the style of the Comic Store man out of the Simpsons and it made me giggle)

Originally posted by Baca Loco
No need to thank me--it's why they pay me the miniscule bucks.

Just to make sure I've got this correct now you're saying that there was netting on all sides of each field? And there were ample refs to do the job properly? And there was plenty of space for the attending crowds? But no cows--how disappointing. And as I'm unfamiliar with Euroland TV someone might offer a comparison of just where Sky fits into the hierarchy of networks over there.
Additionally, it seems to me that if the goal is to be the best and brightest you ought to be prepared to be questioned on results. I have certainly never shrunk from offering an opinion on the biggest tourneys--regardless of the fallout. If you re-read my post it is mostly questions. That you have chosen to see it in a negative light perhaps reflects more directly on you than on me. :)
Indeed their was netting on all sides...until around 3pm on Saturday when gale force gusts of wind brought it down on 2 sides. Alas time and resources dictated that there was insufficient time to reinstate it before Sunday, but as the gales continued throughout the weekend it would have been rather pointless anyway...the area was however cordoned off from spectators for safety reasons.

Ample refs to do the job properly? Hmmm...and what do you consider "ample refs"? Unfortunately there were not as many referees as we would have liked, however I consider that given the experience of the referees available, yes there was.

Ample space for the attending crowds :D...plus acess to trade food & toliets so they could eat, drink, deficate, urinate, play with nice shiny toys and even watch some paintball to boot...

For info Sky Sports are pretty much the top of the Christmas tree as far as the UK goes...

I have no objection to being "questioned" on results...and I read your post several times before I responded...I've also read it again several times since...and it doesn't come across any different now to the first time I read it....focusing on the problems and loaded with sarcasm...

perhaps I have misinterpreted the spirit with which it was intended...although I suspect not. Perhaps I might have taken your post more seriously if you had balanced your "line of questioning" by also asking about some of the more positive aspects, but then I also suspect that either they weren't reported or were perhaps tactfully omitted from the report ... ;)

I have certainly never shrunk from offering an opinion on the biggest tourneys--regardless of the fallout.
I'm flattered that you consider the PA League to be one of the biggest tourneys...we're certainly aiming to be...ahhh..."significant" :) and the concept behind the PA is not simply to host yet another paintball tournament...there is an awful lot more to it and behind it...

That you have chosen to see it in a negative light perhaps reflects more directly on you than on me. :)
You can ask me some questions about the good stuff now if you like...and then I'll see that in a positive light...and it'll restore my Chi or Karma or whatever the hell it's called.

You know I often wonder that with paintball having such a hard time already why it is that when someone comes along who tries to do something good, our own community starts slating it, pulling it to bits and focusing on the negative. I'm sure glad the people we're working so hard to sell paintball too don’t know about this forum…because I am strongly of the opinion that if they read your “questions” they’d come away with an impression that we’re a nothing more than a bunch of amateurs dicking about in a field with toy guns. I just can’t get my head round exactly the point of your “questions”? In what way should I take them in a positive light?

But no cows--how disappointing
Told you you'd have been disappointed :D

Burb

#1 Soi Cowboy.
Nov 27, 2001
Middleweight
Quick Point!

Hatts are you the chap who orders teams to get to fields?

If so, you owe me a new pair of underpants.

Man you're scary.........buy a Megaphone and speak softly :)