Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

I luv Camo!!!

Now we all know the earth is a cube not flat :D

Personally i wouldn't class Rec-ball as a 'sport'. It's name is the clue, Rec-ball.

At the same time though i do enjoy recball and feel it is needed for tourney ball to survive.

At B'ham uni the paintball club has around 200 members, out of these 200 members we have 7 tourney players. 5 of which (including myself) would never have found/got interested in the tournament side of things with out woodland paintball.

Tourney ball is hard to get into and expansive. I would imagian most people that play get hooked by going paintball for the day down at a local woodland site.

Even Bob Long started off in the woods ;)

This is the kind of debate that can go round in circles for ever, since it's all just opinions, and these are mine

So how many pennys is that then?
Keep smiling :)
-EDD

James@Kartelprime

JCS Sport
Nov 22, 2003
Elsham - N Lincs
Visit site
I agree with Edd, rec - ball is an integral part of paintball, with out which you wouldnt see as many new teams starting out in the tourney scene.

I cant say this for sure but i could guess that a good 80% + of tourney players all started down your local site playing rec - ball and that if you hadnt played that "running around the woods palying army men" you woudlnt have been hooked.

I agree the public do have a missconception that paintballers are "sas wannabes" but when you educate them into the other aspects such as sup air there are intriged.

it just mean thats the tourney ballers have to promote paintball as a sport and get it in the public eye but without the core foundation of rec - ball bringing in new players every week who then look for further challenges such as sup air we woudlnt have tourney players to promote the sport.

is the circle of life :D :D

as such i have just as much respect for your camo clad rec - baller as i do any tourney baller they are just both into there own thing.

:D

but i love sup air ;)

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Originally posted by Hatts
Now this caught my eye, "Robbo" posting in "Rec-ball"???? ... you get lost Pete? :D ;)
I thought Pete "never" post in rec-ball forum, he said so once.

I don't think paintball in GENERAL is a sport. It's a hobby that we're all crazy about, yes. It's a game we all enjoy. But a world class sport? We're not ready. We haven't been ready.

Now people will get into a pissing match about it, "Oh we're a sport" "Oh you're full of bovine excement" "Oh you don't know what you're talking about."

Ok, if we're a sport, why are 90% of the players anyhing but athletes? Why do a large percentage of the players SMOKE? Why do a majority of teams NOT have workouts, or endurance training or the like? We're players in a game, that's all. There's no shame in it.

Just freakin' play. Get over your egos, and play. Rec, tourney, scenario, backyard, who cares. You're passionate about your flavor, so is everyone else. After going to an MXS game this weekend, and seeing guys there pour just as much money, time, energy and effort into their game as the top ranked tournament players do, I've come to a conclusion that dedication is dedication no matter WHAT kind of paintball you prefer. There's no need for "open warfare" on the other types of play, especially when it doens't encroach on your preferred style. (Unless you think it's somehow "hurting" you, which is isn't. Woods play damages tournament airball fields much like a sticky-note damages a contract.)

So who cares? As long as you call it paintball, it's all the same. Only the environment changes from place to place.

And to bring it back to topic, the clothing changes too. You wear what works in the place you need it to work. It's really that simple.

-Tyger

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Originally posted by Tyger

Ok, if we're a sport, why are 90% of the players anyhing but athletes? Why do a large percentage of the players SMOKE? Why do a majority of teams NOT have workouts, or endurance training or the like? We're players in a game, that's all. There's no shame in it.

-Tyger
Just like to point out that in the UK
90% of footballers are not athletes
90% of rugby players are not athletes
90% of badminton players are not athletes
90% of swimmers are not athletes
90% of marathon runners are not athletes

You are only looking at the top end of sport and forgetting the grass roots.
The best ballers in this country are athletes and they are the ambassadors of the sport, some of new guys coming up are the future of the sport and the rest of us just like playing the sport, we may not be athletes but without us there is no sport of paintball.
A true sport is something that can be played by all not just the elite

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Dark Warrior
Just like to point out that in the UK
90% of footballers are not athletes
90% of rugby players are not athletes
90% of badminton players are not athletes
90% of swimmers are not athletes
90% of marathon runners are not athletes

You are only looking at the top end of sport and forgetting the grass roots.
The best ballers in this country are athletes and they are the ambassadors of the sport, some of new guys coming up are the future of the sport and the rest of us just like playing the sport, we may not be athletes but without us there is no sport of paintball.
A true sport is something that can be played by all not just the elite

Dark, I think you need to re-read Tyger's post mate.....but this time maybe understand it :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Tyger
I thought Pete "never" post in rec-ball forum, he said so once.

Just freakin' play. Get over your egos, and play. Rec, tourney, scenario, backyard, who cares. You're passionate about your flavor, so is everyone else. After going to an MXS game this weekend, and seeing guys there pour just as much money, time, energy and effort into their game as the top ranked tournament players do, I've come to a conclusion that dedication is dedication no matter WHAT kind of paintball you prefer. There's no need for "open warfare" on the other types of play, especially when it doens't encroach on your preferred style. (Unless you think it's somehow "hurting" you, which is isn't. Woods play damages tournament airball fields much like a sticky-note damages a contract.)

-Tyger
You think this distinction between tourney asnd woodland is being drawn because of ego ???????????