Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Inter-university Paintball Tournament

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by Steve Hancock
We are thinking about how we can get BUSA (British University sport Association) recognition for paintball...
That's been an ongoing project for some time... the mid 1990's in fact because that's when I first tried

The continuing sticking points on the issue are numbers of University Clubs (from memory I think you need 16 minimum) and the fact that BUSA only want to recognise Sports that are already recognised by the Sports Councils

Back in 1998/99 a few of the Uni Clubs got together and set up the University Paintball Federation with a view to really putting the pressure on BUSA. We ended up with six or seven affilated Teams but couldn't get most of them to do anything, people tend to graduate and fail to train up the next generation to replace them :(

Steve. I don't know if you've already got in contact with the Portsmouth Uni Club but it would be worth your while. They've been going continuously since 1988/89 which makes them by far the most established Student 'ballers in the UK

R

raehl

1988?

That would make them one of the most established on the planet. Few clubs even state-side go back that far; the only one coming to mind is West Point.

Try and avoid World Cup and the weekend of October 11 as I'd like Brit teams to be able to come over for collegiate world up if they're interested. Hopefully we'll have more information on that in the next 1-1.5 weeks.

- Chris

Ahh those half remembered days....

Glad to hear that Uni-ball is still on the agenda!

Sadly I have now graduated, but I played at last years Uni Championships, it was a great day. Teams that took part (from memory...)

Salford
Portsmouth
York
Newcastle
Durham
Teeside

Some of the most fun paintball I have ever played. And (despite the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery cold weather) a great warm up for the next day.

There are a great many hurdles before paitnball could ever get BUSA sponsorship, but if you have a paintball team then Uni support (either as a society or as a full on team) are a better bet, PBUK had some articles about that, also the people at Portsmouth know their stuff.

Richard

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I've spoken to Gillie (from 6E who organised last year) about having another inter-uni tourny, as far as we knew no one's planing one at the moment so we have started the ball rolling, and are looking for a venue and date (Chris - We'll stay clear of Oct 11).

By the way, If i'm treading on anyone's toes, who might already be organizing an inter-uni-tourny let me know and i'll gladly leave it to you, as you have the experience from last year. Other wise we can use this thread to figure out a date/venue etc that suits everyone.

Hey Uncle Hotpoint (- as i believe your known to the portsmouth team):D

The Uni PB Federation you mentioned, is it still going? coz when i spoke to Gillie we talked about doing something like that with the UKPSF. Also she said that Paintball UK will be publishing a directory of UK teams, and we decided it would be a good to have a Uni Clubs section within that. I've given her brums details and she's got some from last years uni tourny, but any uni clubs reading this should email her your details to "gillie@pbuk.biz".

If we could get some kind of inter-uni website, (maybe hosted on the UKPSF or UKPA , or even BUSA's website), and maybe a UK version of Chris's NCPA, it would give UK uni-ball a focus which we could use to attract sponsorship and organise events and provide support to each other and new clubs. and ultimately get BUSA recognition.

Finaly, Hey Raxman we've only been going for 2 years now and have been doing mainly recball up until now, but about 8 of us are putting together a tourny team to take part in the Midlands Masters, (probably going to do the final round of their King of the Hill event this year, and then the new combined 5-man series in Jan/Feb) it would be great to have a baller with a bit more tourny experience like yourself. See you in September.:)

Whee, my biggest post yet!:eek:

R

raehl

I'd happily hook you guys up with web space or a domain name (uk.college-paintball.com for example). I'd suggest that when you ahve the first event this year you get together and select/elect someone to run/coordinate a national organization (main duties: Keep site up to date, keep in touch with all the teams so everyone knows what's up) with a plan to redo the selection process in a year. You can build from there as growth requires.

- Chris

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Hey Uncle Hotpoint (- as i believe your known to the portsmouth team):D
Now don't you start with that too :rolleyes:

The Uni PB Federation you mentioned, is it still going? coz when i spoke to Gillie we talked about doing something like that with the UKPSF.
I'm afraid the UPF folded a ways back because of lack of interest and commitment... and the aforementioned graduations :(

We were going pretty well for a while though with decent(ish)membership, a website and some volunteer commitee staff. I might still even have a copy of the UPF Constitution somewhere

If somebody could ressurect the idea I think certain UKPSF types could be persuaded to support it... I've still got one of the University Federation Polo-Shirts we made up at the time ;)

Theldren

Oct 6, 2002
UK
Yello all ..

I'm Goldy, I played at last year's Inter-uni torney with Teesside. Twas a good tourney, but the sat night, the night before the "Stormin' the Castle" sk2 event it was -12 !! ... I had to heat up the water because it had frosen in the big 5 litre bottles!!

This sounds good so far, and I'm willing to help anyway I can. I can help with a website as I'm doing a computing course at Teesside Uni, and I ain't that bad too! ;)

Let me know what you lot think.

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit
I already started a site (have been thinking about doing this for a while anyways, as a contacts page for uk uni paintball clubs).

It seems there is some interest in a proper organisation for uni bum student paintballers, so I guess the site I'm working on will have some more stuff on it ;)

As for the running of a UK Uni Paintball thing, what would be best, a President who is not attached to any particular club, supported by a committee of club presidents?

(If anyone is interested in viewing the site I'm working on, PM me for the address - it's still very much a work in progress, but hey, I think we could be on the start of something here.)