Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion - Good air and hopper?

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
I'm awaiting delivery of my Ion :cool: , and was just wondering what would be recomended as the best hopper and air system to go with it.

Although I realise their are some very good bits of kit out there, I'm not looking to play tourney's or anything, just walk-ons at least for the first year or so. Therefore not looking to get the best kit that is out their, just good value for money equipment which won't let me down.

For the hopper I realise I will will need an electro one, but the choice seems unlimited and was looking for a recomendation of a good reliable budget one.

As for Air, I think a 1.1L tank with some kind of on/off seems the right way to go, but a bit confused about the requirements of High and Low pressure and stuff like that. Recomendation of a good budget air system and on/off valve(?) would be useful.

Please, as I'm a newbie, help me make sensible budgetry choices that will let me get the best from my Ion....

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Ta. Marcus.

lemonadeX

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2006
(near) Southampton
Even if you won't be doing tourneys, you wanna get the most out of your Ion so in terms of hoppers go with (at minimum) an Egg (viewloader evolution 2). Better but more expensive ones are the Halo and VLocity hoppers - Just depends how much ya wanna spend. Wouldn't bother with a Revvy (viewloader revolution) as they only agitate the balls, whereas the Egg/Halo/VLocity etc feed the balls into the gun.

As for air, a 1.1L would be fine and an on/off is recommended to save the threads on your ASA (so you aren't unscrewing the tank at high pressure). For recball you'd probably be safe with a 3000psi tank as thats what most sites fill to, although if you've got some more to spend you could go with a 4500psi. Remember to check the hydrotest date if you're buying 2nd hand.

Have a look round Classifieds and you should be able to find some good deals on hoppers/air/on-offs etc.

-Will

NorthIrish

Apr 30, 2005
Bristol
Visit site
an egg is going to be the best budget hopper that will keep up with ur ion, they can be bought on here for about 25-35 quid. the shells can be quiet fragile tho, so try and fine one with the battery connections switched over to the snap on connection as this will take the pressure of the lid catches (pm me for more details)

the main drawback that many ppl have with the egg is that it can make the ion feel a little back heavy, i've never had too much of a problem.

If u do decide to go down the halo/reloader B route, i've found hybrid suicide shells to be wonderful as they make it so much easier to clean any breaks in ur hopper between games (undo 3 screws and the whole of the top of the hopper lifts off), eggs are easy to strip with a bit of practice, much like ur ion.

If u have any questions then feel free to pm me mate

J@mes

If in doubt, flat out!
Jul 11, 2006
Wakefield, West Yorks.
for air, its a open market, buy whatever you like, if you buy a tank, you will be able to swap it from gat to gat, so buy whatever you like the look of (if your buying new), and with second hand, as lemon said, make sure its in test and is not a DOT bottle (U.S standard, not suitable for uk)

as for the loader, anything above a revvy and your away, the egg will keep up with the ion, a halo or reloader are the most common choice, but i myself im going with the vlocity, it may be alot quiker that my marker (ion too) but they look the dogs b*****ks.

NorthIrish

Apr 30, 2005
Bristol
Visit site
IOnman, like i said, get the conversion work done and you don't need any tape, ever again. And the egg is lighter, holds more balls, sits nicely on the ion...

Sure the halo/reloaders feed faster, but the egg feeds fast enough for a ramping ion. Most tourneys have a 15.4bps cap, so how fast does ur hopper need to feed? I own a reloader, its currently attached to my racegun because i like the balance, but the egg always seems to be used when i have the ion out.

I know its personal prefererence, but don't be tempted to buy something just because its cool, or popular. Buy it because it works and works well