Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion - Good air and hopper?

lemonadeX

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2006
(near) Southampton
I find even the stock Eggs (Y-board) are good enough to feed an Ion. They do 17bps which is what the Ion is capable of at full pace (stock board).

They also look nicer than the Revvy's :) Although admittedly they are slightly larger...

-Will

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Thanks and further question!

Just thought I would post a big thank you to everyone who gave advice regarding hopper and an air system for my Ion. :D

I've purchased a 2nd hand EGG and a new 0.8L 3000psi LP air system (to start with), and have a smart parts on-off on my Ion. After a couple of test fires with the air tank filled to about 600psi it all seems to work, but suffers drop off I guess due to the low tank pressure, so can't wait to get a proper fill and really see what the combined kit can do.

Quick Q? The air tank is as good as empty as it can get (now on about 300 to 400psi), and will fire the Ion ok, but I watch the pressure build up in the Ion on the gauge and takes about 2 seconds for it to be ready to fire again. Could anyone comment as to whether this is normal due to the air tank being so low?

Your comments as always are valued. ;)

Ta!

The pressure in the tank should not have such an effect on the re-charge rate. More the pressure that the marker is set at.

**Make sure you wind down the pressure on the front reg before you attatch a full tank, or you will no doubt blow a hose off at the very least**

Make sure the tank is screwed all the way into the duck bill as this can cause re-charge problems.

I would strongly suggest purchasing an on/off.

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Pressure

Got on-off. Pressure on marker seems to be set at 180psi. Tank was wound in as much as physically possible. When on-off switched on after tank screwed in Ion cocked, and then I tried to screw it in a bit more to be sure.

The air tank regardless of it's pressure (as long as it is above 180psi or thereabouts) would charge the marker up to firing pressure (180psi). Is that right? However if the tank is really low surely the recharge rate would suffer?

true_death

Free Agent..
Jul 16, 2006
M.I.A
Mate when you have less than about 500 PSI in your tank then the Ion will start to have a delay in recharge rate, then eventually stop firing. Its the amount of air thats in your tank rather than anything wrong with it, if its still doing it when you have over 500 PSI in your tank then you do have something wrong.

Just make sure the tank is screwed in properly and its charging to 180 PSI (or there abouts) on your guns reg

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Great!

Thanks, that was the kind of re-assurance I was after. The ion is 2nd hand and I'm due to go and get it tested at LiPS when get chance but prob not for a week or two. When I bought the tank they had a bulk fill but was nearly empty hence the low psi in my air tank.

Going to a scuba place later today to try and get a fill, but they not sure they can help me as never filled paintball air system before, but they can fill air rifles. Do you think they will be able to help me?

Just anxious to see what my Ion can do. I've read the hype, watched the vids on the net, but want to experience it myself.

lemonadeX

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2006
(near) Southampton
My 3000psi tank currently shows around 100psi, so imagine how pathetic it sounds when shooting now :p Take it down to a local site or scuba shop and get it properly filled up.

Seems quite obvious to some, but don't forget if you're firing the marker without paint then you'll waste air very quickly. I did no more than 100 shots on a full tank and it was very low, but can do 500-600 on a full tank with paint so bear that in mind when testing :)

Don't know how new to Ions you are, but you will need to disassemble the marker often to clean it, lube it etc. and I found these videos extremely useful, as they show disassembly (the easy bit ;)) as well as reassembly:

1: http://media.putfile.com/Ion-Remix-ptadot1
2: http://media.putfile.com/Ion-Remix-ptadot-2
3: http://media.putfile.com/Ion-Remix-ptadot3
4: http://media.putfile.com/Ion-Remix-ptadot4

Hope this helps,

-Will