Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Joy Masters field design...

NIALL

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Liz,

You've got this all wrong.. Your place as british and female is to argue..Goose will start getting even more snooty. :p

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
About the value for money thing...
I guess for some people value for money at a tournament equals time spent playing. So basically any short game means less value for money. Personally, I don't agree. The two games that I have the fondest memories of are each others total opposite. The first one we lost, but very closely. It came down to a one on one, which was incredibly exciting to watch, with the game not being decided until there were only two seconds left on the clock. That game would be considered great value for money by some. The other game is one in which we managed to max against a way more experienced team in less than three minutes. According to some it would be bad value for money, but that game I utterly enjoyed. So what it didn't even take three minutes? Those were some of the best two and a bit minutes I ever spent on any field!
If everybody would consider value for money to equal staying on the field for as long as possible, then we'd end up with a really boring sport. Everybody would take an shovel onto the field and just dig in...
Just the way I see things.

NIALL

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Getting Star Wars and Star Trek mixed up. Fatal.

He'll probably try to get you to join the scouts or the Tufty Club. Watch out.
;)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
One more thing. I know that it makes perfect sense to only have teams play against eachother that are from an equal division (i.e. pro, am, novice), but I'd sure miss it. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed getting blown to bits by the Ducklings in Amsterdam. Good thing you missed it though Goose, I'd have to ban you from the boards (Vindictive? Moi?)....:D

Rich S

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2002
Jersey
Originally posted by Buddha 3
One more thing. I know that it makes perfect sense to only have teams play against eachother that are from an equal division (i.e. pro, am, novice), but I'd sure miss it. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed getting blown to bits by the Ducklings in Amsterdam. Good thing you missed it though Goose, I'd have to ban you from the boards (Vindictive? Moi?)....:D
if nov didn't play pro, they would be upset, who could they brag to at the pub "we played theis pro team at the world cup/joy masters/campaign cup(delete as approiate) we beat/beaten (del as appro) them, but it was fun." teams enjoy playing pros, it helps them improve and gives them bragging rights, and this bragging gets other people thinking that they want to play the game, therefore more money into the game giving more sponsorship oppotunities making it cheaper to play for some teams

Richard...

... I have said it before on these boards but I guess you have pulled me into it again - when was the last time you saw Joe's Pub get to play Man. U. in the Champions League? It doesn't happen in other sports so why ours (okay it may happen in a friendly - but that's only if Joe happens to know Beckham personally)?

I am a firm believer in the fact that for this sport to grow, there will have to eventually be a "class distinction". It serves no real purpose to play outside you division anymore at a major tournament. There are almost enough teams to play full Pro vs. Pro at every tournament now.

Yes it's nice - yes teams might learn something - but if that is what you are looking for, maybe you should arrange a training day with Shockwave/Banzai/Backlash or one of the other teams that you consider better than yourself. Just think of it as a whole day of butt-whipping - imagine what you could learn :)

Major tournaments should be the place where all teams go to compete against other teams at their level and see how they do - and try to become the champion (NOTICE EVERYONE that I didn't say Pro's only!!!!).

The problem is (and this isn't aimed specifically at you) that there are too many people (mostly players) in this sport who are thinking only about how they can get the most pleasure out of the game - not what the game needs to do to grow. I am not saying that the 2 need to be mutually exclusive - however the desires of a lower level Novice team wil be vastly different than those of a top level pro team.

The MS organizers have taken huge steps just by arranging events in the venues that they do, and the field design in Stockholm was also something new, but what we need is more forward thinking along these lines. Maybe there is some brand new way of gameplay that no one has thought of yet - maybe X-Ball is the future - whoo knows. But until that time new things need to be tried, and either kept or discounted - but for gods sake we can't stop trying just because it's different from what people expect.

goose

P.S. Don't forget - there are still some people who feel the game should never have left the woods - or that the semi-auto shouldn't be allowed (never mind electro's)

Rich S

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2002
Jersey
but without inter play how will teams know if they are ready to move up divisions. in football Man. U could play bobs pub team if the pub team entered the FA cup, went through the qualification system and got into the actual cup. the FA had pre tourney qualifiers as too many teams entered. when paintball gets toi the stage that 300 teams enter a MS tourney then a qualification system will have to introduced, this is where regional tourneys will come in where teams only play in their category. then at the main event they can have a game against the higher teams.