The Home Of European Paintball

New size paintballs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
It's a pointless exercise. Consider the physics of it. F=ma and F=-kv (so the force of resistance is proportionate to the velocity, where the constant, k, represents that coefficient of resistance) are the two equations we're most concerned with here. By reducing the ball size we reduce the force of air resistance and drag on the surface area of the ball in flight, which is good. However, if we reduce the size and are using the same fills/materials, the ball will be lighter, which means the force on it will have a greater effect (F=ma) which at best means the flight path will be similar, rather than longer and less arced. Also, because of a smaller surface area there will be a greater force on impact, which means they'll hurt more -> potential reduction in velocity. I don't think the benefits outweigh the costs tbh, but these are pretty basic calculations so for all I know they could be infinitely more accurate and amazing.

DannyVeti

Feb 22, 2009
they would hurt more because theyre smaller if they are at the same speed as normal ones. I also think there would be more bounces for some reason xD

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
You know what WOULD be cool, if they made paintballs with a highly thixotropic liquid fill that was solid in flight, but liquid on impact (so it didn't break your ribs of course). I know they have pens that use thixotropic ink so they only flow when you use them, I wonder if that's doable with paintballs? Would negate the issues caused by the movement of the fill inside the ball if they could.

Kitch

Super'5ives'Man
Jul 10, 2001
Sexy South
Visit site
Some of us remember .50, think at one stage there were .50 .60 .68, mind you the plastic paintball guns you see in argos etc are .50, the military training stuff is .43

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
The next big thing will be square paintballs.

I'm sure they will catch on, just like sock hats. And Hanson.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
if they design thixotropic fill paintballs with an aerodynamic shell
you would get increase the accuracy, better trajectory
and in cold weather the equivalent of a rubber bullet

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Bounce city

Some of us remember .50, think at one stage there were .50 .60 .68, mind you the plastic paintball guns you see in argos etc are .50, the military training stuff is .43

I've shot .50 out of CO2 powered crossman pistols. Not exactly the most dynamic or awe inspiring markers, and to be honest the result was total crap.

Anything other than point blank on a relatively hard surface, resulted in just one bounced shot after another. I can't see it being any more effective in a semi auto, even at velocities approaching 300fps limit. I recall this also being a problem with Skirmish Daystate's shooting at .62 caliber. The smaller balls flew straight with good range and accuracy, but didn't have sufficient mass to break on target reliably at point of impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.