Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Nostalgia or Fact?

Was Paintball more fun in the woods of yesteryear?

• It was more fun back in the day

Votes: 61 48.8%
  • It is more fun in the modern game

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • There is no real difference

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • You can't compare and it's nostalgia talking anyway

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
Robbo, what year was it when you popped your shoulder out as you dived into a bunker by the so called grandstand (woods ball), i think it was Mayhem down in Sussex, just one of those memories that i have that needs the loose end tieing up:D
Not sure what year it was, but remember the game. It was Rafe Farmer, playing for the Preds who fell and dislocated his shoulder in front of the spectators on the grandstand field. He also snapped the feedneck of his 'cocker at the same time ! I'm pretty sure the game was against the US Ironmen in the finals. The Preds lost.

Yeah, they were some good ol' days. :D

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
Not sure what year it was, but remember the game. It was Rafe Farmer, playing for the Preds who fell and dislocated his shoulder in front of the spectators on the grandstand field. He also snapped the feedneck of his 'cocker at the same time ! I'm pretty sure the game was against the US Ironmen in the finals. The Preds lost.

Mayhem 95 - I remember the game - and Robbo DEFINATELY wasnt playing for the Preds!

Who was in the finals? Iron Men, Preds..... Was it NWC and.....?

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
Interesting synopsis of UK ball in 1995 by Brett loyd Payne - from Warpig.com

Makes interesting reading, and is pretty accurate I'd say (Not sure there were that many tournaments though?)

UNITED KINGDOM

91 Sites in the UK, averaging 30 people per site every weekend
26 Tournament Standard Sites
230 Tournaments held each year
A further 170 League Tournaments held each year
Average Tourny is a 7-Man with say 12 teams entered.
Street cost of paint is around 60 pounds sterling per 2000.
Entry to a tourny is 15 to 25 pounds sterling per player dependant on prizes.

Prize money / goods occur every say sixth tourny.

Gas costs per team range from 15 to 25 pounds sterling (This is for a mega six foot CO2 bottle)

In a tourny, most teams go through a box of paint each, no matter how many players. Some do go thru say one and a half boxes.

"Punter Days" cost around 35 pounds sterling a head, including all gear, pump gun and 200 paint.

The League System of Tournies is going thru a big change at the moment, more on that subject another time.

Most pro players are using Auto Mags or Cockers. Very rarely do you come up against Pumps in a high level tourny.

Air as a propellant is growing in stature, with most teams having at least one, two or even more players on Air. The market seems to be evenly divided between Daystate and Air Systems.

Teams travel all over the country for Tournies, often driving 2 1/2 hours each way. (remember this is a lot for us!)

The leagues are 10-Man, but due to player reliability this seems to be waning. 5 & 7-Man re the most popular.

Brett Lloyd Payne

Manager, GL Lemmings (UK)
blp@aladdin.co.uk

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
Mayhem 95 - I remember the game - and Robbo DEFINATELY wasnt playing for the Preds!

Who was in the finals? Iron Men, Preds..... Was it NWC and.....?
Now you're asking ... hmm, I remember Preds, Ironmen, AAs, Turks and Fat Freddies Cat doing well that year. Remember watching Aftershock too, but not sure they made the finals.

Can anyone else remember ?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com

Just a note of interest regarding the Ironmen at that event, we played them in the last game and they beat us to win the Mayhem title that year and the funny thing is, if you were to ask any of the Ironmen players who played that event, 'what was their most treausred victory', the majority would say that UK win (the Mayhem title) ... and some of those players are now legends of the game, people like Bobby Long, Brian Bennini, Marty Bush, Clayton, Dave Youngblood ...the list goes on.
It always intrigued me as to why they would have chosen that UK event out of all the titles they won over the World, and apparently they treasure it because they felt, to come to the UK and win was about the most difficult thing for an American team to do ....frikkin 'eck, how times have changed :rolleyes:

fuel

Aug 28, 2007
Definitely...

I have been talking up a retro 10 man tourney, mech. guns only for a while. Everyone wants to do it, but funny thing is no one thinks it will go over. That surprises me. I think that a lot of folks would come out of retirement to play it. Open division only. Trophies, low entry (cuz you don't have to pay for prizes), decent paint at decent prices.

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
I have been talking up a retro 10 man tourney, mech. guns only for a while. Everyone wants to do it, but funny thing is no one thinks it will go over. That surprises me. I think that a lot of folks would come out of retirement to play it. Open division only. Trophies, low entry (cuz you don't have to pay for prizes), decent paint at decent prices.
You will get four teams and two of them will call the week before and pull out because they have lost players and one of the others will get lost on the way and turn round.
Bully used to run an over 35's event and that died because players were all talk....

Russ

Bud

" ..- - .-- .- - " ;)
Jul 7, 2001

Arr thankyou thankyou thankyou, memory meter is now repaired.................. i think;)

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
You ain't old-skool unless you can remember Pete and his brother making those Excaliber Pumps. I turned in my Lapco grey spririt for one of those. Never worked, ever, and I had to go to a Bud-Orr Sniper....