Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Oooh...NPPL rankings going into San Diego...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booya39

Jul 15, 2003
Michigan Ave.
www.dieselpaintball.com
Originally posted by Robbo
First off, I wanna make one thing clear, I honestly do think that if the tournament in San Diego was of the same standard as have been most of the others, then I would have no problem in sending Nexus over to play and be confident we would make the cut for next year.
We ain’t playing particularly well at the moment but have improved over the last few weeks where I seriously believe we would normally be ok if it were a normal NPPL tournament but it is not.
San Diego is definitely going to be the hardest tournament in history and the Sunday Club is going to have some teams in it who have no aspirations to play in the NPPL next year and no chance.
In fact, some of these pro teams entered haven't even played a NPPL before and here they are directly affecting the chances of those who have.
Every one of those teams just mentioned who makes it into the Sunday Club will displace one of the teams who has supported the NPPL over the past two years and is trying to get in so as to help qualification, this situation is unique.
Basically it's an anomalous cluster fcuk and in such times, teams have to do what is needed to qualify. Some teams may well purchase cheating boards for their markers and so on, I have decided to try and secure my place by more legitimate means.
The precedent for guests being used has already been set by many teams before ours, so I don’t feel any moral outrage, more slightly aggravated that ‘Johnny Come Latelys’ to the NPPL have caused this to happen.
The players on my team do not like the situation any more than I do but as pros, they see the long dollar, as do I.
It don't take a lot of working out Boo to figure one tournament's sacrifice enables a whole season's security, the sums are easy mate and any player who is serious about playing pro next year would make exactly the same decision, make no mistake about that but perhaps some people’s choice of guests might not include the best team in the World :)
I completely understand the logic behind it. I was just curious how you tried explaining that to the group. I'm not sure how I would take it if this happened to me. Goodluck in SD and next year.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by woz
Pete,

You got me mixed up with someone else duder cos the only thing i disagree with is Ant saying Tigers would do the same thing. I have never bemoaned the principle that you were using guests (any guests) Its not something that surprises me, because like i said before its the bigger picture that counts at the end of the day, but that doesnt mean its something everyone would get involved in.

Lets just hope we ALL get in & leave it at that.

Woz
:D :D :D

PS Femmes Fatale:eek:
I'm not getting mixed up with anybody, seems to me it's perectly ok for you to run with 4 guests but you don't like it when I run with 5 ?
The distinction apparently is that all mine come from one team and yours didn't, hardly the basis of any rational or sensible discrimination.

And you are dead right, it is the long dollar picture going on here, exactly the same long dollar picture I have been telling / advising you since HB every time you called me up and asked what was going on and you subsequently tried to pass on to the rest of your team.
As for your little dig re the Femmes, what are u trying to say Warren?
I seem to remember Dynasty falling over quite a few times against rank novice teams, so I'm in good company there but anyway, once again, try to get your facts right, last time I saw Femmes play they didn't have 4 guys playing for them like the team I think you are referring to in Vegas.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Booya39
I completely understand the logic behind it. I was just curious how you tried explaining that to the group. I'm not sure how I would take it if this happened to me. Goodluck in SD and next year.
Boo, I gotta say, there wasn't one dissenting voice among them; to a man, they all feel as though they let themselves down in allowing this situation to develop in the first place and so the idea sold itself.

In fact on one level I think some of them qiute liked the idea because they realised they had a chance of being one of the two players I am taking across and on that basis alone, for any aspiring proballer to play alongside the Russkies must be one of the most coveted honours and opportunities in Paintball.
I know Max Lundquist enjoyed every second of it when he played with them in Nemacolin recently.
And as coach of Nexus, I am really looking forward to working alongside their coaches coz I am absolute cr@p at walking fields.

james adkin

myspace.com/londontigers
Jul 14, 2001
www.myspace.com
So are some teams using 'hired guns' as such to secure a place next year? Are their own players not good enough or something? What happens next year if they start to lose games will the richest team simply win the series?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by james adkin
So are some teams using 'hired guns' as such to secure a place next year? Are their own players not good enough or something? What happens next year if they start to lose games will the richest team simply win the series?
Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.......Money buys talent, it's the way of the world, Paintball will not be immune from such influences as it starts to truly professionalise but in the short term, any roster shortcomings will have to be dealt with in-house by improved or more concentrated training regimes or will have to be dealt with within the new rules that will undoubtedly govern NPPL roster changes for 2005.

The situation we now witness will not be duplicated come 2005.

james adkin

myspace.com/londontigers
Jul 14, 2001
www.myspace.com
yeah i understand that but however its like West Ham playing Arsenal on a saturday and because they know that they cant or most likely wont win they go out and rent 11 Real Madrid players

Hardly fair on the West Ham players and also people know that its not really West Ham. So if they did win it overshadowed because its not the true team

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by james adkin
yeah i understand that but however its like West Ham playing Arsenal on a saturday and because they know that they cant or most likely wont win they go out and rent 11 Real Madrid players

Hardly fair on the West Ham players and also people know that its not really West Ham. So if they did win it overshadowed because its not the true team
James, read this again from my last post:-

any roster shortcomings will have to be dealt with in-house by improved or more concentrated training regimes or will have to be dealt with within the new rules that will undoubtedly govern NPPL roster changes for 2005.

Teams won't be allowed to do anything like what you fear no more than West Ham could.

The only reason it's happening now is because Paintball is going thru some birthing problems that's all, there is no way the NPPL could have forseen the influx of teams and the consequent problems it has caused when setting both criteria and qualification ceiling for next year.
That said, it should come as no surprise that regulations and conditions goverrning qualification to the 2005 NPPL are somewhat inadequate if loyalty and common sense are to be rewarded in terms of teams making it in for 2005.

All this will be ironed out when the pro league is locked in terms of number of teams and contracts signed, once that has been done, the formal aspects such as rules, regs and protocols will no doubt be comprehensively addressed that precludes any of the problems you suggest might happen.
The NPPL have instructed an attorney to liase with all of us (who we all met in Vegas) on the NPPL rules committee so that a fair and just set of regs is forthcoming for 2005, I don't think the NPPL can do any more than that !

james adkin

myspace.com/londontigers
Jul 14, 2001
www.myspace.com
Pete

Thats all good, i was talking more about the up and coming tournament. And how it cant be fair on team players, the West Ham of my previous post, who wont play due to the hired players playing. And of course if the team does well everyone will know it s because of those hired players.

On a seperate note i have nothing again West Ham lol

Status
Not open for further replies.