Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Some M25 marshalling suggestions, what do you think?

Half-Pint

Underground
Jun 18, 2002
and once again jon takes the thread into the 'personal' zone.....

just leave it dude.....

i accept our field was not perfect... i could sit here and say everything that was wrong.... but i wont... as sam says this is a constructive thread...

so how do you amass an acceptable marshall squad?

has it come to the point where teams need to bring an extra body to the event and donate them as a marshall? no... as teams woiuld bring their dead-weight stoner mate.... (alternatively the captain should suffice :D)

i agree we should have a centralised rule book, this would lead to less confusion and teams could come from across the country if need be...

cash insentives would be a good idea... but instead of bumping up the standard rate actually make it an incentive... ie if you supply 7 or more REGULAR team players as marshalls you get paid more.....

punishments for complaints against fields... if teams are constantly moaning about staic marshalls then take action on the day.... swap their ultimate... fine them points/pay...

well, im out now... hopefully i've started something in someones head that will lead to the answer....

peace out homies.....

Hp

camsmith

Just call me Cam...
Jun 12, 2003
Surrey, UK
Visit site
I doubt that you could reduce pay for the day... how well would they marshall after that? On the other hand, what about a trophy for marshall of the series (i.e. encourage longer-term marshalls)?

Having a "pool" of marshalls, rather than the same poor five or six on the fields would help. This way, people (I mean marshalls:D ) would have a chance to rest, cool down and recover both physically and mentally before going back out on the field again... just like players do! I know Sparklie was let down this time the day before, and I hope the excuse was a good one.

It would also allow for injuries, as you would generally have 20% more marshalls than were required on field at a time.

I still wonder why (at this level) we pay marshalls so much. There are many other sports that ask for (and rely on) volunteers to run tournaments. They do it not to help out a mate, but generally for the good of the sport.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by camsmith

Having a "pool" of marshalls, rather than the same poor five or six on the fields would help. This way, people (I mean marshalls:D ) would have a chance to rest, cool down and recover both physically and mentally before going back out on the field again... just like players do!
Matey, the judges who have marshaloled the MS this year have to judgefor three days at around 100 games per day....they dont get a rest, why should M25 judges who start later and finish earlier anyway? and still only have under 50 games to do?

Troggy

May 12, 2003
Pompey in'it
www.ibertek.com
Sam,

But why not? I think it's a valid point! Not just for M25 but for all tournaments.

You can't possibly tell me that marshalls are as accurate at the end of day 3 in a millennium as they were at the beginning of day one? Thats nothing against marshalls epertise just human nature and fatigue!

Christ if anyone actually paid taxes on marshalling money - we'd all be on strike by now for unfair employment!

Andy

camsmith

Just call me Cam...
Jun 12, 2003
Surrey, UK
Visit site
Absolutely. I'm not in a position to comment on Millenium marshlling as I have not been there. Marshalls need a rest too. If we were on the field only every fifth game, that means that the marshalls should have been working at least five times as hard as a player.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that when I made a mistake, I was shot and that's game over for me. If a marshall does the same, there's still the rest of the game to get on with.

Understaffing may be the point here. Is this something that could come from above as a "recommendation" rather than a rule? It may make it easier on tournament organisers, as their customers expectations would already be set.