Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Some M25 marshalling suggestions, what do you think?

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
Money buys you Will Time and Resources

Cam, you're right about the 141, i guess my point is that if they just do some paint checks, instead of 141ing everyone they can get their hands on we'd be more satisfied customers. The call was wrong, and the judges (for a change) listened to the other team shouting 1-4-1.

Bad calls happen, and we can understand why that happen, but we expect the judges to at least try to make paint checks!

My appoligies if it sounds like a slagging match, i'm just really passionate about getting somewhere near a fair chance. I just wanted to illustrate that the problem with the judges starts with them not being able to do even the basics of the job.

L J

big big titties
in experienced marshalls

ok, this sunday was my first day at marshalling tournament, i had a great time, very fun, and my feet hurt after. i had alot of players thanks us alot every game for what we were doing, i plan to come back and try and get more experience in it, i did try my hardest and checked every player i could, even to the case of running across half a field because one of the other marshalls was standing on the same spot all day.....
Field 2: guy with bow tie on goggles, feed back is nice, i dont care if its good or bad, just wanna see what i can improve on

Thanks
Jon:)

ez-rhino

Free the Bracknell 7
Oct 14, 2002
Berkshire, UK
Slanging match

Originally posted by Red_Merkin
Money buys you Will Time and Resources

Cam, you're right about the 141, i guess my point is that if they just do some paint checks, instead of 141ing everyone they can get their hands on we'd be more satisfied customers. The call was wrong, and the judges (for a change) listened to the other team shouting 1-4-1.

Bad calls happen, and we can understand why that happen, but we expect the judges to at least try to make paint checks!

My appoligies if it sounds like a slagging match, i'm just really passionate about getting somewhere near a fair chance. I just wanted to illustrate that the problem with the judges starts with them not being able to do even the basics of the job.
Red,

I don't view it as a slangin match, just a discussion between people who believe in certain things.

If I was face2face with you now, I wouldn't be shoutin'

EZ-R

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
Guys, thanks for taking notice, most judges would try to defend themselves, and the whole thing turns into chaos. Bowtie guy, there were two or three of hustleing around, but on a seven man field that isn't enough. You gotta get the other stiffs into action, because it reflects badly on you guys if the other judges ain't doing their job.
Maybe you guys should have taken the money the girl in the pink had was paid and shared it out amongst yourselves, because as far as i can see she was just part of the furniture!

Hope you guys are comming to Campaign Cup. Have a look at the Shockwave II guys play because they are good judges. Watch them, where they are looking where they stand and how they check the players. And check out True Colors too, they're supposed to be pretty good.

SWEET N SOUR

ex-female feline
Jul 24, 2003
London
Visit site
Originally posted by Red_Merkin

Anybody with any brains was playing yesterday because the money simply isn't worth it.
Do you want Marshal's or not? Cos if everyone had that opinion you'd have had NONE, ZILCH, ZIPPO, NIENTAY!!! :mad:

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
Yeah, but there were several of the tigers there, and they decided that they were better off going home than marshalling. Maybe they know something you don't?
However you are right, without those who were there to judge we couln't have had an event, and maybe that's the point, why have an event when you don't have enough/ competent marshalls? I emphasise my point, pay for proper marshalls, not the people who clearly had nothing better to do!

I'm not talking about everyone here, because some of the marshalls really did try, but i'm talking they were spread too thin, and even if the were capable of doing a good job, they wern't able to do it because they were spread too thin!

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Let's look at the options here:

(1) The tournament is cancelled at short notice due to lack of marshalls. Nobody plays -- oh, and nobody gets their deposits back because they're non-refundable and don't come close to covering the costs of organising, then cancelling, a tournament.

(2) The tournament goes ahead, with 3 marshalls on each field. That would be one for each team, plus the ultimate. I'm sure that would be really popular all round. Not.

(3) Those people who are willing to spend their day getting verbally abused and shot at do so, because it allows the teams booked in to have something approaching a playable tournament, and because they feel they should lend their support to a worthy cause.

I certainly wasn't marshalling for the money -- normally I wouldn't leave the house for 50 quid. I did it because I wanted to help out a friend in need, and keep the spark of hope this series has provided to many southern teams alive. It is plain that a situation where the majority of marshalls have no tournament-reffing experience is far from adequate, but whatever you say it is better than no marshalls, or no tournament for that matter. Wow, I must be really stupid, maybe I should go to Campaign Cup just to laugh at the monkeys marshalling there, because they must be as dumb as me for reffing rather than playing.

The chimp-like behaviour is more visible in people who sling **** at those who gave up their day in an effort to make it more enjoyable for everyone else, when they could have played for their teams, or just stayed in bed.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by Rabies
Wow, I must be really stupid, maybe I should go to Campaign Cup just to laugh at the monkeys marshalling there, because they must be as dumb as me for reffing rather than playing.
I'm marshalling Campaign......wana laugh at me for being a monkey?

Teams marshall in the MS because of the points offered, not because they feel some allegiance to the sport and think that they owe it to the organisers. I happen to get on well with the organisers of Campaign, but i wouldnt marshall the event for nothing as a favour to them instead of playing it with my team. So why am i judging, points, plain and simple. Something that the M25 cannot offer because there is no prestige with coming in the top 8 of the M25, mainly because there is no set divisions and teams move around. Coming in the top 8 of the MS is a great achievement, and something worth judging for. points are worth more than the money, and something worth getting shot to crap for 3 days for. I will put my heart into judging the event, as will the rest of my team, and as will the rest of the crews judging the event. Something lacking in some people at the M25 this year.

Nobody marshalls the M25 out of a love for the sport, the problem this series has been that people have marshalled it as either a favour to the organiser or because they are players with no team to play for and nothing better to do, there are obvious exceptions though (Tigers Am, Outcast). And before anyone says it isnt the case, why do you think there have been odds and sods judging together instead of a whole team doing it.......cos the teams are playing thats why.

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by sjt19
I'm marshalling Campaign......wana laugh at me for being a monkey?
Not at all, I was echoing somebody else's sentiment, just turning it around to make my point. What was my point? My point, I suppose, out of all of my rambling rant, was that it's not fair to point the finger at the people who at least made the effort to make the day a success by stepping in to marshall, as opposed to those who can't be arsed.

Your point in your last paragraph is unfortunately entirely true, but what's to be done about it? Domestic tournaments have to rely on a certain degree of goodwill to function, as the budget simply isn't there to pay marshalls what you'd need to for it to be worth their time, and the incentive of series points or just prestige aren't good enough like they are for the Millenniums. Respect to the teams who have put in their time and resources to marshall the M25 this year. They know why they did it, and it certainly can't have been for the money.