Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Some M25 marshalling suggestions, what do you think?

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Originally posted by sjt19
And before anyone says it isnt the case, why do you think there have been odds and sods judging together instead of a whole team doing it.......cos the teams are playing thats why.
...or maybe because for many teams this is their first outing at a tournament, and as is often the case with starter teams, a full squad could not be pulled together for whatever reason?

Surely having the determination to help out and marshal an ungrateful bunch of 'ballers with no incentive, money or otherwise, is something to respect, not deride?

Entire teams HAVE been available to Sparklie, but when the only bodies available have been inexperienced ones, then the more experienced marshals have had to be spread out across all the fields.

Here's a suggestion: run fewer fields per event, charge an extra £50 a team, have a draw system to select which teams play which, play fewer games, and use the extra money to pay for these mystical super-marshals. Once we find them.

:rolleyes:

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by QuackingPlums

Surely having the determination to help out and marshal an ungrateful bunch of 'ballers with no incentive, money or otherwise, is something to respect, not deride?
I do respect them for stepping in at the last minute, but then all that respect disappears faster than a Kipling slice in front of Piper when they do a bad job.

Entire teams HAVE been available to Sparklie, but when the only bodies available have been inexperienced ones, then the more experienced marshals have had to be spread out across all the fields.
NO! Spliting teams up does not work, for the plain and simple reaon that etams gel and trust each other. We marshalled the Dunstable leg well cos we were there in force as a team with no outsiders on the field. If you noticed we only had 6 marshalls on field all day, whereas the otehr fields had 7 or 8. You can have a bunch of players pushed together but they will never do a good a job as an experienced team of marshalls.

and use the extra money to pay for these mystical super-marshals. Once we find them.
er.....everyone knows who the good judging teams are, there is enough experience of judging in the Millennium Series in Div 1 to last the whole series. Us, Tigers, Shockwave, Backlash, Outcast, Jaguars and Campaign Power have all judged a MS event this year, and teams like Tigers Am, Ecstacy, Sad would also all do a good job, so there you go 10 teams who would all do a great job. Each team has at least 9 players, if you had 3 fields per event then you would need 6 of these judges per field, and 18 per event. Get 2 of the above teams to turn up with 9 players, (thats 18 experienced marshalls in total), have 3 judges from each team join together and have the other 6 take a field. Then you wil have 6 judges of significant experience on each of the 3 fields. Problem solved. There are 5 legs of the series, which means that each team only needs to marshall one leg. SORTED. Pay them £100 each and they will turn up and do a fantastic job. Sparklie then gets more teams in to play and makes more money.

Now the only way that you are gonna get the above teams to judge is to pay them some serious cash. All of the above teams use the M25 as warm ups for the Millennium Series, they couldnt care less who wins the events of end of series prizes because there is no prestige in doing so. In order to get those teams to judge rather than playing is to offer them £100 each. Fund this by upping the entrance fee, which teams woldnt pay the extra for world class reffing?

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site

NO! Spliting teams up does not work, for the plain and simple reaon that etams gel and trust each other. We marshalled the Dunstable leg well cos we were there in force as a team with no outsiders on the field. If you noticed we only had 6 marshalls on field all day, whereas the otehr fields had 7 or 8. You can have a bunch of players pushed together but they will never do a good a job as an experienced team of marshalls.
So what happens about the younger up-and-coming teams who want to learn marshalling, but need the guidance of the more experienced teams? Are you saying that when in the situation we were faced with on Sunday, that the one and only experienced marshalling team should be kept together, so that we have ONE good field, and let the other 3 flounder with inexperienced teams, which does nobody any good (maybe there were two, I don't remember) ? Surely the next best thing to having entire teams of experienced marshals on every field, is to have an experienced team sharing their experience and hopefully increasing the pool from which the next event's marshals can be picked from?

I fully agree that with enough money, we could afford the likes of Shockwave and Ecstasy and Tigers and Outkast and... etc, but we don't. M25 has introduced a lot of new teams to the sport, who are only just finding out how expensive this game is. The whole reason why teams are moved around a lot in divisions is because sometimes teams cannot make it for financial reasons. The entry fee has already been increased once, and will no doubt increase again for next year. I for one am happy to pay the increase, but how long before we price-out the new teams and put them off for good?
As you've already made it clear, M25 isn't the milenniums, yet you're expecting a millenium-quality event. We already have nice venues with flat grass, no bare patches or weeds, decent netting (most of the time), and good facilities. Marshalling will come with time, and mostly will be from the inexperienced teams that are taking all the flak right now, as they gain that experience.
Why can't we give them that chance?

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
So what happens about the younger up-and-coming teams who want to learn marshalling, but need the guidance of the more experienced teams?
Marshalls do not learn how to improve by judging with other marshalls. If there are people who wana become good judges then its not a hard thing to do. Be firm, authoratative, LEARN THE RULES (something that has been sorely lacking, and something there is NO EXCUSE for), and be prepared to get stuck in. it aint hard. Being a good judge comes naturally, in people's personalities. If they wana improve, watch how the judges stand, move, postion them selves, perform checks, call players neutral at Campaign Cup. Then they will learn how to do it, that can be their learning experience.

Are you saying that when in the situation we were faced with on Sunday, that the one and only experienced marshalling team should be kept together, so that we have ONE good field, and let the other 3 flounder with inexperienced teams, which does nobody any good (maybe there were two, I don't remember) ? Surely the next best thing to having entire teams of experienced marshals on every field, is to have an experienced team sharing their experience and hopefully increasing the pool from which the next event's marshals can be picked from?
Would have rather had one field that was good, than 4 fields that were on the wrong side of average.

I fully agree that with enough money, we could afford the likes of Shockwave and Ecstasy and Tigers and Outkast and... etc, but we don't.
It has already been shown how it could be afforded, increase each teams entry fee by around £50, thats about £6.25 per player (8 player squads), thats a drop in the ocean! Who woldnt pay an extra £6.25 for good judging. i would!

As you've already made it clear, M25 isn't the milenniums, yet you're expecting a millenium-quality event. We already have nice venues with flat grass, no bare patches or weeds, decent netting (most of the time), and good facilities. Marshalling will come with time, and mostly will be from the inexperienced teams that are taking all the flak right now, as they gain that experience.
Why can't we give them that chance?
But in every other respect Sparklie has built mini mllenniums, as you have just stated, the venue, organisation, surface is world class, shame for th judging not to be as good!

If you read my post above then i have suggested a way top get the better teams to marshall, i think it would work easily, do you?

Peace

:)

camsmith

Just call me Cam...
Jun 12, 2003
Surrey, UK
Visit site
Sam, great points, but you are perhaps expecting a lot more from the marshalls and not putting the blame on organisation (i.e. those people organising the sport, not the individual event)

If we had one rule book for the sport (instead of one per event), it would mean that all people would know what the rules were. For instance, I've seen people being shot when they had their hand up, because the rule currently used was hand-on-the-head=out. It's a silly little thing, but if the organisation of the sport was fed down from top levels, this kind of thing may be made a little easier.

I'm not trying to defend the marshalls, simply ask for more support from the upper eschelons.

L J

big big titties
But in every other respect Sparklie has built mini mllenniums, as you have just stated, the venue, organisation, surface is world class, shame for th judging not to be as good!

your flaw my dear sam :) i think.....:rolleyes:

basically u say the m25 is a mini millenium, but obviously not quite as the venues etc are as good, but still nearly, so therefore, if u keep the ratio going of millenium to M25, then the marshalling will obviously be alot lesser quality, if you ever find a tourny that has as good marshalling as the milleniums, in the uk, and ran as a series IE, M25,SWPL,s2003, MM....then, well simply go to that one!
as people have stated before, its clear that you want the m25 to be as same standard as the milleniums, its never gonna happen without that kinda money and teams, and as others have said, u cant suddenly gain knowledge into marshalling without trying, hence, why i plan to come back to the winter series, on my own, or with team who will have 0 marshalling experience, and marshall it, so we can get experience, and help friends out.
your marshalling is not perfect like you like to believe, there were even complaints about your marshalling at dunstable. look at the last m25 league, i was led by popular belief that the infiltrators would have been the best marshalls there as they have the most experiences with milleniums etc etc, but it turns out they were almost the worst, so its clear it doesnt matter if teams are Pro, or rookies, look at Dark ritual, they are novices really, and they are dam good marshalls as they have done it sooo much that they know it all.
i had spent the last 2 days revising the rules, and i DID know the rules on the day, which is EXACTLY why i pulled the 1-4-1 against the chamealons, the rules state that a player swearing is given one warning, then the marshall can remove any live player on their team for the rule infringement, so a 0-4-1, and their last players happened to be this guy, me, and one other marshall were being shouted at very harshly, including excessive swering so i did,so i did take time to study the rules, me and the freaks basically said to each other that we were gonna do the best we can, and the really respective players who saw what we were doing (KEEPING THE TOURNAMENT RUNNING) were really appreciative about it, lots of handshakes, and thanks alot marshalls etc, even had some say we were really good. but it seems only the players that have played milleniums complain about it, because their standards have been raised.....in fact, they are almost of the verge of been arrogant, and ruining alot of peoples days, i had a very enjoyable day considering i went there thinking it would be crap cos marshalling it didnt look exciting, i went home thinking that was a great day, and was happy with myself that players thanked me for the job, then i get home to this.....players bitching...why cant YOU be like most people, and not voice your opinions, or just tell sparklie secretely(not like she doesnt already knoW!!!!!)

i wonder how many flaws are in here...but finally, ive voiced my opinion, if you noticed, i even asked for feedback on the fields marshalling to see if i could improve

Jon

p.s. sorry about paragraphs, only a C in English:rolleyes:

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Jon :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was not slating anyone, this thread was a thread of suggestions, nothing more, nothing less. If you want to defend yourself then fine, do it. At no stage in my post setting the tome for the thread did i say that the judging was poor or anything. I have not said anything about the quality of the reffing at the last leg. Please do not try and put words into my mouth because it makes you look foolish.:eek: :eek: :eek:

So Jon, before you have a go at me, read what i wrote, none of which was about you in any way.

:rolleyes: goober

L J

big big titties
i have read what you wrote, ive been following the whole thread.... and lots of people(u 2) have said how rubbish the marshalling was (like for instance cobham leg), and this just shows your arrogance, like for instance the comment at the end...goober....and im not just defending myself, but all the other marshalls who have been insulted, for what they have actually given, i know most of the guys(and gals;) ) would much rather have played, hell i would have, and could have!
remember, not just defending myself, but fellow paintballers/marshalls:)

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by cockersrule
not just defending myself, but fellow paintballers/marshalls:)
I wasnt attacking you! This thread was intended as a sugestion list for Sparklie, THATS ALL! I said nowhere that any judges were bad/good, i have stayed off that subject because i was not bothered by the judging on Sunday. I wanted to help out Sparklie and thought that other may like to contribute. You are defending yourself against nothing because i am not in any way attacking you. In that respect you are being a goober. I am not being arrogant at all, what do i have to be arrogant about?!?!? You dont know me and are unqualified to make such an accusation.

You said that the infiltrators were :

"it turns out they were almost the worst"

I didnt, you did. whose bitching about the judging then...?:rolleyes:

You also said that:

"so its clear it doesnt matter if teams are Pro, or rookies"

I can assure you that the Tigers are a much better reffing crew than any of the teams in Div 2 or lower. Better teams make better judges in most cases. just from an experience point of view. There is no way you can argue that,its the way that it is, and always will be. (There are a few exceptions)