Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Some M25 marshalling suggestions, what do you think?

potbitch

just sticking my nose in
Mar 10, 2003
la la land
Visit site
cockersrule

i'm sorry if you take offence to this but did any of the marshalls on your field (2) ask the team under the start gate or the guy that hobbled off the field ??????????

MarkR

Mar 19, 2003
UK
Visit site
Well i was the player that done the dead man walk on field 2 and i do not recall a fight nearly breaking out just a few heated words as they was taken by suprise . And yes the start gate did fall on my team members and equipemnet but after the game one of the tigers am came over and apoligised for what had happened

potbitch

just sticking my nose in
Mar 10, 2003
la la land
Visit site
im not to sure on that, but we were focusing on a fight we nearly had as the team that got DMW'd thought the player was out...etc etc.
we do not remember a full scale fight starting and i saw one of the marshalls talking to the tigers at the end and give tigers their due after it had been brought to their attention by sparklie that the accident had occured they came and applogized of the field but it would have been nice of the marshalls to have shown some concern as it could have been a nasty accident and i'm sure the player in question will except appolgies as he bares no grudges thanks for listerning to my moan

WKD

Apr 7, 2002
East yorkshire
Visit site
Marshalling issue heres suggestion each team attending supplies a marshal for each event that they enter and get awarded accordingly ie points wise or entry fee wise like this sunday 38 teams in attendance that would be 38 marshals to be split over 4 fields just a thought ;)

L J

big big titties
Originally posted by WKD
Marshalling issue heres suggestion each team attending supplies a marshal for each event that they enter and get awarded accordingly ie points wise or entry fee wise like this sunday 38 teams in attendance that would be 38 marshals to be split over 4 fields just a thought ;)

that is the best idea i have heard all week i guess, most teams always have at least a spare...

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Sweet, Cockers and pod can we please stay on topic, this was meant to be a marshalling thread, if your not gonna suggest things then stop thread jacking.:rolleyes:

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Heres some thoughts:

1. Standardisation of rules. Adapt a single Rulebook for all UK Tounies (Millennium might be a good bet). This must also include the guidelines for starting gates and field layouts / bunker placement. This should remove some of the inconsistencies from the Judging calls and what is what isn’t acceptable. On the day rule changes / off the cuff because of X or Y are unacceptable in all but the most extreme circumstances. The rules on Buys should also be included because the current situation is ridiculous. Different rule sets apply for different teams at different times of the day. I’ve heard sh*t about having to chrono at buys!, well last time I checked you don’t actually need a marker for a game, therefore teams should be allowed to show up for a Buy without markers. By doing this we set the benchmark of what is and what isn’t acceptable and remove some of the looser interpretation of the rulebooks. Also any rulings on the day should be made by the Ultimate and the Marshals, not the series owner or promoter. The series promoter is there to promote the event, not influence it’s outcome it should and must be an entirely neutral position, as should be the ultimate.

2. The idea of Marshals from other Series is a good one, but why not take it a little further, all Marshals should be sanctioned / assigned / dished out by the UKPL or whatever body these tournaments are all part of. If a database of marshals was available with availability dates, then you should be able to call on adequate marshals for each tournament. The UKPL must be allowed to assign officials as it sees fit, or impose them if required. The compensation for Marshals should also be standardized. Some leeway or scalable travel allowance should be made, but all marshals should be entitled to a similar deal, especially we as players expect a certain consistent standard. Alternative compensation see next point

3. It could be possible to offer Individuals or teams “Marshalling Credits”. An individual or team can tot these up over a year and choose from a variety of compensations. These can include, series points, free entrances, payment, kit or a mixture of all dependent upon how many points accrued and certain other guidelines (i.e. a team can only amass a maximum number of series / UKPL points from marshalling). This way teams and individuals can choose what’s best for them. It would be good if this “Marshalling account” can be accrued and payment taken at the marshal’s discretion. In this way, he or she may choose to accrue up his account and take it one payment. Couple this with a small incentive or discount at the various p’ball suppliers for all purchases from this fund, the marshal can not only get themselves some shinny kit, but the Money is kept within the sport / industry. This whole program is funded by the tournament promoters who pay into the fund based on the number of marshals they need for each event (i.e. 30 Marshals x 50 quid a head). Other guidelines should include, that if a team was to marshal an event, their Credits or series points are subject to supplying a full team of Marshals. Show up with only 6 Marshals you get points or credits docked. I’m not insinuating that the good crews out there would do this, but it may happen with some crews. Obviously the finer points need to be considered and weighed up, but I’ve given a couple of examples of how it could work in principle.

4. Marshals need to be accountable to more than the series promoter. There have been some instances with certain people acting unprofessionally / making threats to “over-pull” players. It maybe necessary to remove the link between the tournament promoter and the Marshals or, if a given marshal is constantly pushing the envelope have them sanctioned centrally (i.e. banned from marshalling forfeit of Marshalling Credits). I will caveat this point though. This is in way a reflection of SAD Uk, whom without their marshalling there would have been no MM series this year. I think promoters should be able to use their own teams to marshal their own series, but this has to be made somewhat more accountable to prevent some “possible” abuses. There is also a huge difference between using touney player / marshals and punter marshals at tournament events.

5. Whilst I totally agree that Marshals at Tournaments need to be more skilled and it’s desirable to have them supplied by the “better” teams, we should encourage marshalling amongst the less experienced. In this way maybe one of off or single marshals should be allocated to Marshalling teams to “learn the ropes”.

6. Marshalling must be consistent from Pro down to Nov. Because Novices are in field, the marshalling must be as strict and stringent as it would be for a pro game. Infact it now looks as though Wiping and cheating are worse at the Div 3 and 4 level than that of 1 or 2. 1:4:1, 2:4:1 etc must be pulled at this level consistently do not go easy because these are newbies.

7. Supply the Marshals with proper kit. Give them jerseys, shields, additional padding. You might find that the slightly less experienced but still willing may “get stuck in a little more”. Shields and jerseys for this are available even if they have to be ordered in from the States. Makes the whole thing appear a little more professional (something we lack on a massive sacle) if you can actually tell the officials from the players (might also stop em getting lit up like xmas trees too).

8. Final point maybe the UKPL primary mission statement or goal for 2003 / 4 should be not to find the UK’s best team or stage events such as the PA cup, but to sink effort into sorting the marshaling. Once you put this infrastructure into place, we can progress the sport as a whole. Put in a central framework and things may start to gel. Of course this is much harder than staging single promotional events, but we now need to invest at the right levels. The UKPL should be applauded for their efforts to date, but I think the Marshaling issue is so fundamental to the future of Paintball, that if it’s not sorted soon for good, you will never see widespread acceptance of Paintball. All the work on good things such as PA cup will be wasted.

Coupla pence worth anyway. Flambé away chaps………