Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Spyder Electra ACS vs Smart Parts Ion

niboor

I want to know which is better for me: The new SPyder Electra ACS (w/ new rocking trigger) or the Smart Parts Ion.

I want the one that will kick ass right out of the box but will have a future of upgrades and custom parts because I like upgrading my stuff. I have a airsoft M4A1 and i loved upgrading it; it gave me a boner (...ok, TMI).

But seriously, I need to know which will be good for fun and will actually have a future for upgrades because i want to start a team and possibly a mini league on my Navy base. I want to have a gun last me whether i just use it for fun or actually get a Navy funded team that will rock socks around the east coast.

So... which kicks more ass initially and/or will have the best upgrades in the future?

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
*sigh*

The ION will probably kick a lot less. Spyders are blowbacks, and have fairly heavy hammers. The ION uses a spool valve, and having shot one that was straight stock out of the box, I have to say I was impressed.

The Anti-chop eyes in the ION work very well. The ACS system is similar to antichop bolts that usually work pretty well.

I still believe that Smart Parts deserves a special place in hell for pioneering litiginous paintball business practices, but they have made a winner here.

Also, the rocking trigger is not legal in most tournament series I am aware of. There are tons of upgrades for Spyders, but I have found that there is only so much you can do to one to actually have a real impact on performance.

That said, I haven't shot one in a long time, so there may have been changes of which I am unaware. There are kits out to retrofit Spyders into a true electro-pneumatic operation. This makes them into ugly Intimidators, which are pretty nice.

IONs have been pretty successful commercially, so there are already quite a few aftermarket mods for them. I am annoyed that they don't use either Spyder or Autococker barrels like most other guns, but the objective that SP is pursuing with them is to set people on the road to owning a Shocker someday, so the Shocker barrel thread makes sense there.

OH, and for the record:
Shoot both, it is all down to personal preference, blah blah blah. In fact, I would like to codify that statement as SBIIADTPP. This is the advice that is customarily given to anyone asking either/ or buying questions, and it is good advice. It isn't always practical to try them both out, but it is the best way to go.

MrPink

Banned
Aug 15, 2002
Cook$ mom's house
www.ltpaintball.com
Gyro - FYI, the Ion uses Impulse threads for barrel and feedneck, not Shocker ones :)

Niboor, We've been using our Ions @ Div1 in the Millennium series all year and they have been performing flawlessly, we may have been out-played a few times but we've never been out-gunned:cool:

Nickyboy

Jan 6, 2005
Sunny Bournemouth
Just for the record Impulse and shockers use the same feedneck thread, so I guess uses the same as the Ion.

Originally posted by MrPink
Gyro - FYI, the Ion uses Impulse threads for barrel and feedneck, not Shocker ones :)

Niboor, We've been using our Ions @ Div1 in the Millennium series all year and they have been performing flawlessly, we may have been out-played a few times but we've never been out-gunned:cool:

Revolv3r

oH noes!!!11!1!111
Aug 12, 2004
North East Uk
www.uws.prouk.net
fyi

Originally posted by Gyroscope
*sigh*
Also, the rocking trigger is not legal in most tournament series I am aware of. There are tons of upgrades for Spyders, but I have found that there is only so much you can do to one to actually have a real impact on performance.
the trigger still operates on a one pull-one shot basis, hence there is no reason for it not to be legal at most / if not all tournament series... although an Ion is the best way to go out of these two, another possibility though would be a diablo wrath, look into it, according to WPG '05 its pretty good and as good as / if not better than the ion GL!

Azz3h

Redshift
Nov 30, 2002
Richmond, North Yorkshire
Visit site
Ion's don't run as well on CO2 from what I've seen - so if you are planning to run on CO2 rather than air then a Spyder might be better... Unless you get anti-syphon and everything installed.

Woohoo! 500th post :D

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
I'll ask Dave at the Denver NPPL next week, but I am sure that the Osiris that was set up with a rocking trigger was viewed as having two triggers by the NPPL, and was therefore not legal.