Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Taking the next step...

FUBAR

Yank Car Nut!
Aug 1, 2002
Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK
www.mkb.cc
Ok, heres the situation which could be quite a common one... Ive been playing paintball on & off for about 5 years (im 21 now)going to various sites using site markers etc etc.
I want to get into playing paintball tournaments & generally playing more regulary, but...

Whats the best way to go about this :confused: Which way round do you have to do this, buy your gear first, then find a team willing to try you, or find a team, then get all your own gear?

But the problem arises that I dont really want to go spending a lot of money on my own gear then not to find a team, or even a group of people who want to play regulary.

Any help ppl?

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Hi Fubar & welcome aboard.
For starters, you'll find you enjoy walk-on days using your own marker much better than just going to rental days & having to use whatever they have on site. From that point alone it's worth getting your own kit, as you can be sure your goggles fit comfortably, your clothing will be in good condition (not ripped or dirty etc) & most importantly, you know your marker will work!

If you don't go already, get yourself down to Sparklie's at Maidenhead especially for an Academy day where not only will you have a laugh, you'll improve your playing by training against everyone from other new gun owners to regular tourney players who go to Millennium events. It is also somewhere you can "showcase" your abilities & so might get picked up by a team that's training there, or you could get together with other guys in the same situation that you're in & form your own team.

Hi Fubar and I add my welcome sparklie here.

Thanks Liz I would have to agree with every thing Liz has already said every one is very freindly and there is always good second hand kit for sale. The best thing to do is come down hang out meet people and ask to try a few diffrent markers. That way you dont make expensive mistakes buying the worng gun just because it's the first you have seen. Liz loves angels and impys I love cockers and now know I don't like electros way to light on the trigers.

I would say on the Kit side of things a good set of gogles is always a first and there are lots on the market so same again try before you buy.

Hope to see you soon next accademy is the weekender 23rd to 25th main day sunday.

Happy balling spaklie;)

FUBAR

Yank Car Nut!
Aug 1, 2002
Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK
www.mkb.cc
Cheers for the pointers!, very helpful, having a marker that can shoot straight would be nice :) . I will have to check out some walk on days at my local sites.

As for guns I've been looking at the Impulses & cockers and drooling, looking at how much they cost to get the packages... then passing out :eek: Unfortunatly I have expensive taste.
Are Spyder TL's any good?, Ive seen a few packages on the web that seem reasnoble around the $200 - $250 mark (on american sites).

The non-gun equipment is a bit more affordable & I will hopefully be getting some gear soon, I was looking at getting the Dye Invision goggles, they seem good.

Do you know how far maidenhead is from Milton Keynes? I haven't got a clue, and which month is the Acadamy day that you mentioned before?

FUBAR

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Not sure of the exact distance, but Maidenhead is at Junction 9 of the M4 so not too far a journey for you - at least it's the right side of London!
If you speak nicely to Sparklie, she'll lend you a site gun for the Academy then loads of people there will be happy to let you have a try of their own markers.
DON'T buy anything until you've tried out a few. Every different type of marker has it's own characteristics & feel & what suits one person might not suit another, e.g. I just can't get on with Cockers for some reason but Sparklie goes all weak at the knees just picking one up.
Same goes for goggles. Everyone's head & face are shaped differently & some goggles will feel very uncomfortable & others fit like a second skin. Any decent shop should let you try on whatever they have in stock, or again pester people at the Academy for a try of theirs.

DaveCopsey

Foreign Legion
Feb 16, 2002
Reading
Visit site
m8

The best idea i would suggest would be to come down to sparks site if u havent used any markers before and try a few out. The second perl of advice would be to buy second hand of some one with a (good) reputation. You could get kitted up with a standard impy for around 300 and then another 100 for a mask and so on. I would suggest getting a new mask as u dont want some sweaty russian bare wrestles mask. Dont nmake the same mistake as me and under buy, i am now on marker 4 and i have been playing about 8 months. I now have an impy and LOVE it. Get a basic one and there are hundreds of good upgrades.

dave copsey

p.s i think london paintball supplies in welling garden city is closest.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
If you're going to come to Sparklie's, she has a small shop there plus catalogues from some of the major suppliers in the UK & can order just about anything you want if it isn't in stock.