Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trainin against the best in the UK

Originally posted by stongle
NO NO NO.

This is one of the reasons Nexus had problems this year. If Pete was here he'd testify to that. Sure it helped those who scrimmaged against them, but it is not an effective training routine.

Teams will generally default to a standard game or use exploitive tactics just to win. They get carried away trying to beat the opposition they throw the play book out the window. It has little structure and can be a waste of time.

2004 was a strange year due to the EXL and the damage done by the political shenanigans between the NXL, PSP, NPPL and Millennium. Teams results have not been indicitive by their ability as training was disrupted by dual format and squad issues. At the the end of the day, in the abscence of a talent pool and facilities like the US, fitness and reductionist training is the only way to suceed (proven).
ok stongle we can hear you, we are just ignoring you.

:)

(dont hit me)

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
A good acid test of improvement then would be to meet and 'beat' another top team then?.....Any team that hopes to do well next year in that brutal list of teams needs to be outright mowing any competition over here on top of their own private training method....without drafting in entire 1st div xball squads as guests...might I add..:D

psycho

Baggin ain't easy!
Apr 2, 2003
Stoneys Basement
NO NO NO

I think if Pete was here he would't totally agree with you. True, he said that just playin against other teams didn't help them a lot.
But also the factthat Nexus didn't have the quality teams to train against.. If they had trained against Dynasty all year do you think things would have been the same. In my opinion they trained too much (against the wrong teams) and not enough drills. Doing the drills doesn't mean that they will never scrimmage does it. Legion train like no other, but they still trained against New York Extreme, true?

If Nexus can't get to train against Yank teams then surely Shock and Tigers are the best available. Between these 2 teams, in 2004 they have beaten Arsenal, XSV, Infamous to name a few. At least give them some credit.....
:p

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Originally posted by psycho
NO NO NO

I think if Pete was here he would't totally agree with you. True, he said that just playin against other teams didn't help them a lot.
But also the factthat Nexus didn't have the quality teams to train against.. If they had trained against Dynasty all year do you think things would have been the same. In my opinion they trained too much (against the wrong teams) and not enough drills. Doing the drills doesn't mean that they will never scrimmage does it. Legion train like no other, but they still trained against New York Extreme, true?

If Nexus can't get to train against Yank teams then surely Shock and Tigers are the best available. Between these 2 teams, in 2004 they have beaten Arsenal, XSV, Infamous to name a few. At least give them some credit.....
:p
Before considering scrimmaging you should have sorted the fundamentals. To even consider it at this stage is stupid for all teams. There's little point going up against Dynasty or Legion Time and Time again if they beat you 9/10 (that's without them rolling, cos they've not done that against a UK team :rolleyes: ).

Teams should be looking at manufactured scenarios (lots off), and training them till they become second nature. This in conjuction with skill and fitness. Once this is down pat, then consider putting it into a scrimmage environment, where you have little control over the opposition.

Why arrange scrimmaging without the base work? read back through the thread, most of you are touting this as the answer to all the UKs problems, when Joy Division are spanking your arse.

The answer to the UKs problems does not rely on or in the US, but a rethinking of teams priorities. Take a long hard look at your skills and fitness. do you really think the players are going to be up to playing upto 27 games a to make the finals (ahhh assuming you make it that far)? Many of you don't want to know the truth.

Even if you crack the drilling and fitness, whats the point of scrimmaging against bottom rung Pro bracket teams, for any scrimmaging to be off value they / you need to do it against the top flight.

This is the commitment Twiz is hinting at. Cos NPPL Pro-bracket is going to be a watershed for Paintball IF it goes bigtime. If I'm still around these parts in 3 years time, I bet you a bullseye (fifty quad for non-southerners), there are less than 10 Brit 1st string players in the group of 18 (assuming no expansion). ;)

psycho

Baggin ain't easy!
Apr 2, 2003
Stoneys Basement
So in the same paragraph you said its pointless training against bottom ranked pro teams but its also pointless to train against the likes of Legion and Dynasty.... Nobody saud we are relying on this to save Uk ball. This is just 4 good UK teams that want to get better and are trying to do something about it...
The basics are: if we train against each other for a day, it is only gonna help....
Why don;' you stop dissin and start helpin..:p

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Stongle I agree with you on most levels, but if shock and tigers were up for a day out, with loads of hardcore paintball, then whats to stop them? And if they didnt mind us lower ranking semi pro teams having a go, then whats to stop us. I say we try it. If it isnt worth it (and I put money on us finding out on the first occasion) then so be it.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Originally posted by psycho
Why don;' you stop dissin and start helpin..:p
I am helping. It's called a reality check (and I'm very bored at work today).

Scrimmaging eats a Pee Pee Sandwiches, like Kyle.

Anyway, about that bet?

Oct 28, 2003
south central bookham
this is a bunch of crap

you are all gay

how do you get better if you dont play, there is only so far drills can take you!!

you need game experience.

i agree that robbo does know an unlimited amount about paintball but i dont think that the only reason nexus did bad was cos of their trainin routine

get real people

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
we had a great result in the EXL this year and also in the two NPPL's that we had a full team for. Our training regieme was playing every weekend and drill, drill, scrim, drill, drill scrim etc. etc.

Drills have their place without question but you can't drill in how to calm down and relax in stressfull situations or drill the recognition of a team mates instructions over the top of the noise from a fireing marker. That you can only learn from playing other teams as a team.

This year we have trained against the Ducks, Method (mostly), Hybrid, Jags, Storm, Notorious, Campaign, and of course all the other Tiger teams (sorry if I have forgotten anyone).

We will continue to mix in xball style aggression/drills and also train against other teams as we have found it picked up our game no end as our EXL, Toulouse and Madrid scores confirm.

Kyle, sort your boy's out - seems they are the only team we haven't trained against! ;)