Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Was safety ignored at the World Cup?

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
This is quite a scary subject all round. I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to pain & injury & have spent too much time in casualty to want to spend any more, so I get fussy about safety issues. I just don't consider unbagging my marker until I get to the start area, don't see the point & can't really understand why some players do it. Likewise, I rebag as soon as the marshalls give the OK to leave the field. We all understand the marshalls need a "goggle break", though at most Millenniums ISTR nice little netting tents on all the fields where you could have goggles off safely :)

Regarding allowing people on with hot markers, this is just completely & utterly unacceptable for 3 reasons. First & foremost of course is the safety aspect. Secondly, in my eyes this is authorising cheating by a team. Thirdly, I can't remember the exact velocity but firing over a certain speed changed the firearms classification of a marker in the UK, & suddenly you're breaking the law. My team were chronoed onto the field every game at Campaign, as we are at just about every tourney we play anywhere in the UK. I've never yet seen anyone allowed to go on the field with a hot gun, and that's the way it should be.

Steve. I completely agree with your points on what we need to do about judging, but I would like to add another. You say the field ultimate judge should be independant - I would add that they should have passed (not just completed) a recognised tournament marshalls training course, and chrono judges should also have to pass a similar course. Maybe bonus points for a reffing team who can supply qualified judges would encourage more people to get trained up, we can only hope so.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Liz
...You say the field ultimate judge should be independant - I would add that they should have passed (not just completed) a recognised tournament marshalls training course, and chrono judges should also have to pass a similar course. Maybe bonus points for a reffing team who can supply qualified judges would encourage more people to get trained up, we can only hope so.
Excellent points Liz. I wish someone would pay attention to this, but, alas, that would be me waiting on Santa Claus.

Steve

JTHM

American Prat
Oct 31, 2002
USA
Visit site
Originally posted by SPARKLIE CHICK
The Toliets Oh my god the Toliets I have stoped having nightmares just.

Discusting, ok your guys try being a lady and don't even think what there like if its that time of the month. No were to wash your hands :eek:

Oh god.....this I didn't need at 6:00am and drinking my coffee. Thanks for for nasty visual, it'll take some time to get this outta my head.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Wadidiz
Excellent points Liz. I wish someone would pay attention to this, but, alas, that would be me waiting on Santa Claus.

Steve
Well, the UKPSF IS actually doing it's bit, running tournament marshalling and chrono marshalling training courses again. Now all we need to do is get something similar in the US & rest of Europe!

JTHM - may have put you off your coffee, but that's the kind of thing that us girlies have to put up with every month! Gives you a little more understanding of why we scream so much for decent toilets, especially as on average one in every 12-13 of us will be in that state at every tourney.:(

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by JTHM
Hell people still don't believe me when I say they only had 6 porta-johns at the worlds largest PB tourny.
Good, because you would be lieing to them.

There were 4-6 up by Smartparts, 4-6 down by National, 6 or more along the back fence and then 4 near PMI at the entrance I think. I'm not certain I remember the numbers but it's a closer description than yourself. So worse case in my opinion there were 18 (still not enough or of high enough quality though). 3 times the number you claim. Someone else involved may be able to give us the real figures.

I agree with Sparklie in that the worst thing is no where to wash your hands. :(

As for the goggles off issue, yes it was bad. It always seems to be bad with people used to the American playing culture. The system at the Millennium of a small tented area for Judges is fantastic and they ought really to do that at the PSP for the judges.

What got me though was players on the American teams lifting their goggles as soon as game over so they could pick up their pots, with themselves and our team still not having bunged our barrels. As soon as I came out of the deadbox (yes on that single occasion ;) ) with my marker that I had just picked up there were judges and people on the field with their goggles lifted.

Most fields did chrono and make sure you were safe. However there were occasional exceptions. For the JT field I was panicking because my gun had gone down and was last onto the field. It chrono'd hot (only by a few fps) and the judge kept chronoing it until it was under three shots in a row and then told me I could go on... I turned it down anyway.

manike

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by manike
For the JT field I was panicking because my gun had gone down and was last onto the field. It chrono'd hot (only by a few fps) and the judge kept chronoing it until it was under three shots in a row and then told me I could go on... I turned it down anyway.

manike
For the record, did you turn it down BEFORE going onto the field, or when you were on the field, which would be really bad, since that would imply they allowed players to fiddle with their marker's settings on the field...

(this is in no way meant as an attack on you though)

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Duh. Obviously turned it down before going onto the field. How would you do it on the field since you can't have tools? (BTW had 3 sets of tools stolen from chrono stations whilst playing).

He told me I could go on with it as it was, but I chose to turn it down before rechecking it and going onto the field.

manike

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Bud !!!
Did ya see that 'Duh' at the beginning of Manike's post ?
You gonna take that ?

Hee hee, glad I ain't gonna be in the firing line on that one :)

Pete :)

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Oi are you trying to start trouble? :D

The idea of messing with a markers velocity on the field is so alien to me, that I couldn't believe I hadn't made my point in my first post clearer.

I know others who don't play the same way though. :( Saw some interesting stuff at the cup... Nothing proveable from where I was watching but enough to make you think that's for sure...

I do run my gun very close to the limit as a back/mid player I feel it's important to get the range and help the paint break.

I did actually get chrono'd on the field and eliminated for a shot that went 301 :( so they were playing those rules, even though the imbecile that chrono'd me pulled my gun out of cover, put the radar chrono so that it was touching the barrel and not just below it (I've been advised that can make it read slightly higher, but don't know the validity of that claim... need to test it out). I walked immediately without argueing.

Actually I got on field chrono'd 3 times during the whole event. once at 301 and walked, once at 297 and once at 296 :)

manike