Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

what is it with non-US teams?

Diggie

Great Balls of Styrofoam
Ohhh Nooo!

I can't believe you're actually taking offense at this. Some anonymous dude says something not far from the truth about non-US teams, and you take personal offense? That's a good one! :D

Open your eyes, look at the Millennium results and then tell me again that non-american teams don't suck, and then get hit over the head with a glop on a stick.

Until then, put up or shut up and train harder than before.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by wee-man
this post must be refering to pro teams only havent seen any american novice or am teams winning a millenium series trophy never mind tourneyor are they all as crap as the rest of us
DUH!!!
In the same way you probably haven't seen any European am or novice teams win an NPPL event! Dude, am or novice teams on avarage haven't got the finances to attend events outside their continent.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
dont care

Originally posted by OhhhNooo
When people start saying that Non americans suck, were just suppose to lie down and take it right? The gods forbid that I defend me, my team mates and my home country. I am currently in the Us and yes the teams are reall good. But my team has won some tournies and we have "kept up" with the ameican teams. I really dont care if hes a moderator or not. Doesnt give him the right so say I suck at paintball.
Yeah yeah, very brave. I wasn't saying you can't respond, but you were just calling names. If you come up with arguments, fine, I'm all for that, but just calling people stupid jag offs is just plain dumb.....sorry, but that's the way I feel.

OhhhNooo

Emperor Of Evil
forget it. next time i see any type of post like this again i'll just type in gif letters " ME AND MY TEAM SUCK" that way no one gangs up on me and starts slamming me. Just because i stood up and stated MY OPINION.

I SUCK AT PAINTBALL
SO DOES MY TEAM

The gods forbid i stand up.

i'll just sit and take it.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by OhhhNooo
forget it. next time i see any type of post like this again i'll just type in gif letters " ME AND MY TEAM SUCK" that way no one gangs up on me and starts slamming me. Just because i stood up and stated MY OPINION.
I SUCK AT PAINTBALL
SO DOES MY TEAM
The gods forbid i stand up.
i'll just sit and take it.

OhNo, nobody is disputing your right to defend yourself or your team, I think we all applaud that but your use of the word 'Jagoff' is a direct abuse of the original poster.
His question of 'Why do non US teams suck' is a generic one and not meant to be insulting at all.
The word 'suck' is not that abusive and nor was it's context in the question, although I do concede it could be viewed as provoking argument but your use of 'jagoff' is another deal.
If you attack somebody in such a personal way on this board, then expect to get some flak coming back your way.
Take a leaf out of my book....and be nice to everybody :)
Laters Oh No and try to stay cool !
Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
As always Killer Onion puts across an informed opinion and some subject areas that perhaps do need addressing.
As for the professoinalisation of our sport and the consequent affect on salaries and pro players characters ?
Hmmmm, the ethics of Killer's arguments are sound but perhaps a little naive since the dynamics of any potential big time sport are not controlled by the players.
Self-interest is at the very heart of what most of us do each day and every day.
Paintball and its subsequent evolution will not be immune from these dynamics.
As paintball becomes more popular amongst the youth of both Europe and the US, demands from the media will slowly and inevitably creep into the game.
As disparate interests within the game struggle for control, deals will be struck with opposing media camps and with these type deals comes the notion of a free market and all its consequent reliance on money to provide sufficient inducement to come over to 'this' side of the media and not 'that'.
Once the infrastructure of media coverage is achieved, then a second amount of monies will begin to infect (or is it revitalise) the sport and this is where teams (or franchises) will be paid as part of the media deal.
Once this has happened it has two effects, it will galvanise the industry into previously unheard of sponsorship deals thus injecting more money into the teams.
This then gives the teams two areas of direct income and with it....... comes a whole lot of pressure to perform....and with that...comes a whole lot of pressure to get the right players...and with that..... Comes a whole lot of pressure to pay top monies....and with that....comes a whole lot of money to offer as inducement for transfer.
There is no way a moral argument is gonna gain ground in such a monetary infected environment as the US and Europe's sporting markets.
We all might as well go and piss in the wind for as much difference it will make believe me.
The power in this sport is held in the US by the NPPL promotion company, Renick, YB, Jerry Braun, Ed Poorman, Richmond, Billy and Adam Gardner and over here in Europe by the Millennium company (not board) owned by Niall Squire, Steve Baldwin and Laurent.
These guys control (whether we like it or not) the teams and control of the teams whether thru franchise, tournament promotion or cash inducement, is where it's at…….. for the moment.
The Industry, which is predominantly US based, is a powerful influence also and can, under the entrepreneurial hand of people like Gino Postirivo (Owner of National Paintball) pull the carpet of power from under all those just mentioned if he (or anybody with as much money and power) wished to do so.
The balance of power is on a knife-edge dependant upon how things evolve with the media and who can set up the first serious TV circuit.
In this world money talks and nowhere more than in America is that sentiment better understood.
For us players, we can't stop the influx of monies, no more than we could stop the move to Sup' Air, it's part of whatever evolution our sport is destined to follow.
So hold on guyz, I think we are in for an interesting few years ahead ;)
Laterz
Robbo
PS Good post KO, I enjoyed reading it !

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by TheRo0sTer
You know I have been watching this thread grow from day 1. Well I can tell you how amazing it is to me that Mr Big was able to draw you guys all in like Flys to ****. But hey I say again it makes for interesting reading!:D
Hey Roost,
maybe amazing to you but I think it was an attempt ( and a succcesful one at that) to get away from all that inane drivel we had been seeing permeate these boards of late.
For me at least, it was a welcome change and along the way, I think a few good points were raised that were of varying degrees of interest to most peoples who visit these boards unlike the 'drivel' posts.
Laterz Roost
Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
AJermstad : Please Read

AJ, would that things were so simple !!!
The harsh reality of any team aiming at the top in the modern game is that they need cash, hard cash, like it or not, this is where it's at.
Young players may well be dedicated and I suppose I could provide (or get sponsors to) the hardware infrastructure for a team, like paint, guns etc but I'm afraid that's just half the story.
To provide a new team with young talent is just a matter of scouting and knowing what you are looking for but to maintain a regime of training and playing tournaments will inevitably require money and the likes of which thus far invested in UK teams is nowhere near enough.
There is perhaps only one company in Europe who could provide sufficient finance for such a team and they already concentrate their sponsorship finances Stateside, and who could blame them.
The American market is huge and with a single American policy of marketing they can service both the American and European requirements.
Think about it, we all know the likes of Avalanche and Co, they appear in all of the mags across the world, so killing two birds with one financial stone is easy in this international media environment.
There is no point in them investing in a Brit team to the degree the Yanks enjoy because their marketing requirements are more than met by focussing on the Top Yank teams.
The only other source for such income is the States itself and there is absolutely no reason that I can fathom where any of those companies would see that sponsoring a Brit team, as an attractive proposition.
I suppose I could get such a team together, I would certainly know what to do and how to do it but it would require sooo much more than I alone could provide.
Years ago there was a guy called Mick Holdaway who used to be involved in UK paintball a few years back.
He was an enigmatic and colourful character but he always put his money where his mouth was. He was a one off and I think it would only be people like him who would or could back such a project.
People like him and Marcus Davis, (Ex Capt of Predators), are now sorely missed by UK Paintball, as this sport of ours dives headlong into the new Millennium.
We seem to be devoid of characters over here now, dominated by the US teams and industry, even our own industries have their economic eyes fixed firmly across the Atlantic.
The magazine reflects this in its editorial and is not immune from the US influence as we have already seen in the many threads on this board.
Its consequence is manifold, one of which is lack of investment in Brit teams. I don't mean to infer that there is no or even little investment because quite a few teams over here enjoy a significant level of sponsorship but nowhere near what the top Yank teams get.
But now the situation hints at a 'chicken and egg' scenario, a team will only get the big deals if it gets to the top but if it ain't getting a big deal then how's it ever gonna get there?
The answer is not simple, well perhaps it is, perhaps it does all come down to money and finding somebody to cough up but I would hate to think that we (Brits) are doomed to live in the shadow of the Yanks for the foreseeable future.
There has to be some hope for us and as of yet, I can't see Mick Holdaway or Marcus coming back into paintball, so the onus is on somebody financing his own team or we accept the Yanks dominance.
I can't moan too much as it was only because of two Yank teams, that I ended up fulfilling my ultimate paintball dreams.
But then again, it would be cool, real cool in fact, to see a Brit team, as the Predators of yesteryear once did, rule the roost.

Damn, my brain hurts !!!

Robbo

PS Ajermstad, but thanks anyway for the vote of confidence !!!!