The Home Of European Paintball

What is your religion / faith?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Hey:)
Just to clarify Pete so theres no confusion,i'm not trying to convince you of anything to the contrary of what you believe to be true,i'd like to think we are debating because its enjoyable and we are kicking around concepts and ideas.Not because we have the need to be right and have the last word.

As i said before,your truth is your truth,after all,you cant arrive at those conclusions without putting in the hours, and i respect anyone who actually gives substance to their point of view,more power to you.

I'd like to tackle this first.

"When you quote Einstein's eloquent observations, he suggests, the awe we experience when we look at the world around us, going onto realise it has been created by an entity whose presence eludes all of science, this awe, this fascination, this obsession, this unyielding curiosity is, and should be, the basis for the real religion"

Heres the original quote.
the most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.
( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

I'd like to proffer a slightly different interpretation . And it kind of ties in with one of my previous posts (about how i can see that science and the esoteric CAN run parallel and enrich each other) When i read that quote i am mindful of Einsteins pantheistic beliefs (the belief that the "creative force",the universe and its content including us are all part of the same whole,a realisation incidentally found in many ancient belief systems and a concept that is more than ever being confirmed by science) which are no doubt articulated here in harmony with his abstractions about the nature of the universe.

Einstein suggests that "the sensation of the mystical", is the inspiration for all inquisitiveness (or at least his own),the notion that there is more than what we can observe and comprehend with our senses drives the human mind and perhaps dare i say it for some the soul,to seek answers,and is therefore a prime motivator behind all discovery and rediscovery.

Without the ability to doubt and wonder,and be filled with awe by the enormity,complexity and with that the ultimate beauty of the universe,existence is essentially empty. (But i spose there's always day time telly and jaffa cakes to fill the void)

Basically at the end,to me at least, he is saying, to know we are all as humans,perceiving the world from within the confines of our narrow and limited frames of reference,to know that we are to a great extent limited,even to a degree held hostage by our (in)ability to perceive,to know humility and to be humbled by the enormity of what we DONT know, and what we CANNOT know,is the centre of of true religiousness (*see footnote). True spirituality if you will,emanates from the realisation that we are structures of the universe and that our sense of compartmented self is but a naive delusion of the senses.

Man with all his discoveries,conjecture,questioning and answering simply can never fully penetrate the fabric of existence,because its just too flipping big for little old us to get the picture no matter how long we spend trying to suss it out.

Quantum physics, Relativity Theory, String theory, Astrophysics, Psychology(not strictly speaking a science),Neuropsychology,Neurology,Chemistry, Hinduism,kabbalism, Bhuddism, early Gnostic Christianity (before the romans got hold of it),Taoism, Shinto, Tibetan Bon many forms of Shamanism,Judaism,many Animist beliefs,many Pagan belief systems,Ancient Egyptian beliefs etc etc etc,ALL contain these ideas to varying degrees.

Anyway,back at the ranch.

"As for the problem you touch upon in the second half of your post where intangibles such as beauty, form or as Einstein called it, 'essence', where science is seemingly unable to explain it, I'm not surprised it can't because these are all philosophical considerations and not really within the remit of science"

I'm interested to know how you define the philosophical considerations you describe as distinct from the philosophical considerations that could be proffered by ancient systems of belief that by and large contain a heavy dose of philosophy anyway. (and by that i mean belief systems the world over).

"Science is at odds with religion in many ways, things like the age of the earth, some bible-bashers would have us believe it is something like 4000 years old whereas science tells us it is approx 4.5 billion years old.

The bible tells us god created all the animals etc and yet Darwin's, science would suggest we evolved from single cell organisms.

There are a myriad of problem areas when it comes to reconciling the Bible with science and I'm afraid lining up the aforesaid dignitaries does nothing to offset the problems I just mentioned mate."

I could'nt agree more,Pete.But as i've continually stated i am not taking a christian-centric stance.I looked back through my posts and i have not made a single reference to the Bible, when i was referring to "belief systems" or "religion" unless otherwise stated i was referring to religions/belief systems very much in general,as i'm pretty sure you were,but then your arguments seemed to centre around christianity, in the main.

Anyway,i'm gonna kick back and get some beauty sleep,i need as much as i can get.I'm not as pretty as you.

Peace.

Chris

[/I][/B]

Kris, I am genuinely not meaning to disrespect you in anyway mate but the post above is testament to the fact, a thread can go on for waaaay too long.
I say this from a pretty strong position coz after reading your post, I have just seen you disappear up your own ass :)

Now, I am gonna ask you for a leap of faith on this one, but trust me, I could, if I wanted, rebut and fully answer every point you mention above but I'm afraid that would tend to elicit an even longer reply from your learned self which would then place me in exactly the same position as I am now.

And so before I have to read War and Peace (your next reply) I thought I might head it off at the pass with a shorter, and certainly more relevant comment, which is .....'Let's agree to differ mate' ... coz at the moment, if I rebut this post, by the time I have finished reading, and decyphering your next offering, I am gonna miss my beloved Spurs winning the Champions League.

I hope you understand Kris; and as for engaging you on this wonderful quest thru my brain and your paraphrasing of Mr Dawkins?

It's been emotional !!!

Now, chop chop!!! next subject :)

BigKris

Fabriacate diem..punk
Jan 8, 2009
Cambridge area.
www.level-1.org.uk
Kris, I am genuinely not meaning to disrespect you in anyway mate but the post above is testament to the fact, a thread can go on for waaaay too long.
I say this from a pretty strong position coz after reading your post, I have just seen you disappear up your own ass :)

Now, I am gonna ask you for a leap of faith on this one, but trust me, I could, if I wanted, rebut and fully answer every point you mention above but I'm afraid that would tend to elicit an even longer reply from your learned self which would then place me in exactly the same position as I am now.

And so before I have to read War and Peace (your next reply) I thought I might head it off at the pass with a shorter, and certainly more relevant comment, which is .....'Let's agree to differ mate' ... coz at the moment, if I rebut this post, by the time I have finished reading, and decyphering your next offering, I am gonna miss my beloved Spurs winning the Champions League.

I hope you understand Kris; and as for engaging you on this wonderful quest thru my brain and your paraphrasing of Mr Dawkins?

It's been emotional !!!

Fair play,no offence taken.just passing the time.

I think if anything it shows for some us its a big open ended subject,for some of us its fairly cut and dry and closed off. All relative to the observer as Einstein might say. No absolutes where subjects like this are concerned for some,maybe just absolutes for others,whatever side of the fence they're on.

I'm not into football,aint really part of my world so i dont spare it much thought,just a bunch of guys kickin a football about to me,simple,but i dare say you might have alot to say about that because its something you spend time immersed in and it has value to you.

As for me dissappearing up me own arse,its warm up there and its still winter,besides coming from a man that describes himself as a part time mega star theres an element of the pot calling the kettle black there:rolleyes:;):)

Cheers for an interesting debate,gave my brain a bit of a work out at least.

Peace (and respect)

Chris;)

BigKris

Fabriacate diem..punk
Jan 8, 2009
Cambridge area.
www.level-1.org.uk

It's been emotional !!!

ps.Just noticed your little dig at the end that i got that stuff out of a cereal packet. Put your claws back in Pete,meowww! hehheheh.

I was speaking fom my own perspective and sincerely.No plagiarism in those posts,just articulating my thoughts like you my man .

Thats all from me,back to sussing where my Protege is leaking from .

Peas!

Chris

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
As for me dissappearing up me own arse,its warm up there and its still winter,besides coming from a man that describes himself as a part time mega star theres an element of the pot calling the kettle black there:rolleyes:;):)

Chris;)
No element of that at all Kris, I kept it on subject and as succinct as possible, if you care to re-read our posts, you will see the 'branching off' was done by yourself mate, I tried keeping to the central points and answered them as appropriately as possible.

I cannot legislate for anybody misinterpeting or not understanding my posts, then going on to make, what seem to me, random points that are only partially relevant or of no relevance at all.

It's all well and good engaging me in this thread Kris, and I do truly welcome it, but there comes a point in most debates when it isn't just a matter of a difference of opinion, more a matter of a unilateral understanding.

Of course, some people can euphmise the debate and call it a 'difference of opinion' but that is tantamount to me stating 2+2=4, and somebody suggesting 2+2=5 .. and this then being described as a 'difference of opinion'

I hope you see my point Kris !

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Kris, I don't like dismissing people, especially genuine ones.
Your posts caused me a problem inasmuch as they seemed to be a curious mix of 'intelligent' commentary and a rather jumbled (or so I thought) array of thought processes.
When I wrote that post just above, I hadn't taken a lot of time out to read what you posted and although I didn't skim-read your post, I certainly hadn't looked at it in depth..well to a point where I believed it warranted a reply.

I have changed my opinion because I went back over what you posted and tried to key into what you were trying to do.
I thought previously, you were just trying to 'look good' and the problem with that is, generally speaking, it's not long before things get away from ya and you end up looking a bit silly.

In your case, it didn't go that way but it did look as though you had retreated into even more diverse issues/considerations in what I had believed to be no more than a decoy instead of addressing the issues we were talking about.
I may have been wrong, and if I was, I apologise and hopefully (if you weren't indulging yourself that is) I will get around to replying to your last set of points.

Hmmmmmm .........don't let me down !

BigKris

Fabriacate diem..punk
Jan 8, 2009
Cambridge area.
www.level-1.org.uk
Kris, I don't like dismissing people, especially genuine ones.
Your posts caused me a problem inasmuch as they seemed to be a curious mix of 'intelligent' commentary and a rather jumbled (or so I thought) array of thought processes.
When I wrote that post just above, I hadn't taken a lot of time out to read what you posted and although I didn't skim-read your post, I certainly hadn't looked at it in depth..well to a point where I believed it warranted a reply.

I have changed my opinion because I went back over what you posted and tried to key into what you were trying to do.
I thought previously, you were just trying to 'look good' and the problem with that is, generally speaking, it's not long before things get away from ya and you end up looking a bit silly.

In your case, it didn't go that way but it did look as though you had retreated into even more diverse issues/considerations in what I had believed to be no more than a decoy instead of addressing the issues we were talking about.
I may have been wrong, and if I was, I apologise and hopefully (if you weren't indulging yourself that is) I will get around to replying to your last set of points.

Hmmmmmm .........don't let me down !
Hey no worries Pete,havent been at the computer since i posted last for very long.

I've no vested interest in "looking good" i am a faceless name on a screen,for all intents and purposes anonymous,my expostulations emanate from a desire to converse and exchange ideas about subjects that interest me,not from an ego driven need to be right or to play to some perceived "audience".

Bit of an unexpected place to be batting these ideas about but hey,if the opportunities there and your bored enough,why not i guess. Heheheh :)

I think if you condense the stuff i've posted you could boil it down to a simple postulation,that is:

When dealing with matters of mans connection with the ineffable,there are no theoretical rights or wrongs(past the elementary),providing that they are approached with an open mind.

The jist of what you've been saying to myself and others is that religious/spritual ideas cannot be supported by science (using a very narrow band of obvious examples).To a point i agree,but the difference in our positions is:

The predominant theme of your posts is that you measure the value of a mans religious/spiritual beliefs based on a premise that is absolutist:

"if it cannot be observed using empirical scientific perspectives/logical reasoning, something cannot exist ,and therefore belief must be suspended.Science negates all religious ideas,concepts and ordinances therefore they are at odds,any suggestion to the contrary is a lie"

Or:

"if science or logic can't show it to exist,then its b0ll0cks".

My position is (as a man who loves science):

"Empirical,objective yardsticks quickly become redundant when determining the value of intangible and subjective concepts such as belief in the mystical,science does not negate all religious ideas,concepts and ordinances and the two frameworks for understanding can complement and enrich each other on many levels."

Or :

"Using science/logical reasoning to try to say whether a man should believe or not....is b0ll0cks too".

I gave the examples of eminent scientists who had a deep understanding of the universe and its contents and still maintained/were inspired by,their beliefs in the esoteric/mystical.

The two frames of reference (scientific/religious) presumably did not conflict (as recorded by many in that list)but rather perpetuated each other,demonstrating that they can both exist in harmony within a mans head/heart/soul rather than cancel each other out causing a situation where one frame of reference is rejected in favour of the other.

Not to mention it was also meant to dispute your at least inferred position that belief in the mystical is for "weak minded/emotionally weak individuals". Those men had a level of insight and understanding which was formidable in many senses, and could not by any stretch of the imagination be described as weak in the upstairs department.
These are examples in extremis granted,but serve to paint a picture.

Often,as in Einsteins case their scientific postulations and discoveries began to converge with their spiritual beliefs and assertions about the nature of the universe and its content.

I gave examples of objective and determinist schools of thought and esoteric/mystical belief systems that when you begin to understand them,often reflect each others positions on many levels.

Short enough i trust,kept it under 500 words ;)

Peace.

Chris