Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why Can't the US be like Euro?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
I've not played as many NPPL events as many here, but Tony, if you think the judging at the World Cup came even close to the worst judging at a Millennium event (in the last three years since they got it together) then you've been smoking some of TJ's stuff.

I was very dissapointed by the judging and not just of the team I was playing with. I was dissapointed time and time again watching judging of other teams. Extremely inconsistent judging depending on who was playing and some of the weakest interpretations of rules I have ever seen.

There were some good judges, who i had respect for, but there were some very, very weak ones who were on power trips or just downright had no clue how to enforce the rules. It sucks to travel that far and honestly believe you were judged out of a game.

I love the World Cup and I love playing ball, which is why I go to the cup every year, but there is so much BS in the judging there that something needs to be done about it.

A little bird told me they may look at bringing in Euro judges to get more impartiality and they do recognise there is a problem that they need to solve.

manike

Tony Montana

Aug 16, 2002
Visit site
I got Robbo to type again. I am the King of the Web.

Let me set a few things straight.

The reffing at the World Cup was horrendous. I will agree to the 10th power. Too few refs. Too little effort. Too much inexperience. More than a few refs with motives other than being fair. But Manike, from a personal view, the reffing on the field farthest away from the vendors and farthest to the right at the Sweden event was the worst reffed field I have ever personally played on. I won games on that field. I lost games on that field. In each instance the refs were to blame. I also watched games before we played and then later into the tournament. I can honestly say that one good thing was consistency. They were consistently terrible.

2 side notes to this.
#1 - my experience has taught me that passing jusgement on the quality of reffing from a finite number of games is foolish. Even based on the fact that I watched 6-8 games on the field in question, and felt the reffing was bad in all but 1 of those games, I still understand that the refs probably reffed 100 games over the course of the tournament and I MAY have happened to be around the small number where they simply weren't on top of things.
#2 - my team was basicly eliminated from the event based on a refs decision. The refs decision, coupled with the ensuing penalty points, and a subsequesnt suspension, ended all hope of us advanceing to the next round. But, the ref was 100% correct in his call, as was the Ultimate in his decision to suspend. I don't cry foul simply because things don't go my way.

Robbo - You have seen the last 2 World Cups. These events are nearly twice as large as any other events on the planet. The World Cup is without a doubt the hardest event to run. I don't want to make excuses. Things could be, and should be better. But you seem to be basing the majority of your opinion on just these two events. I sincerely wish you could have been to the Chicago event, or Atlantic City. I do not believe any Millenium event has ever run BETTER than the 2002 Chicago event, and I believe that the 2002 AC event was on par with most Millenium events in terms of thr "running" of the event.

Prizes -- In the years that I have played, I have been very fortunate to play for many teams that consistently finish in the money. A quick guess would put the earnings at about $200,000 for the teams that I have played on. Of those earnings, I may have received $4000 dollars personally. Prizes are not even in the top 20 reasons that I chose to play tournament paintball. But the fact that about 90% of the complaining that I hear from U.S. Am/Novice/ Rookie teams involves prizes, I think that I am one of a kind in my view of prizes. My point about prizes is that the US team/player seems to be more concerned with making a profit from tournament paintball than from having fair competent refs and nicer venues. The Euro teams seem to be more interested in having a good show with great atmosphere than with what the pay out is. I wish the I thought the US scene would be grateful for a tournament that had good reffing and better venues at the expense of prizes. But at this point in time, I do not.

Gay pride Parades etc - Pete - The only way I knew about Brighton was that you told me. So, I woke up - got in the van and drove to the site - played paintball - came back to the room - ordered room service meals. I did this everyday of the tournament, except one. One day I went to the beach. Within 10 minutes I was approached 2 seperate times by people of questionable sexual persuasion and invited to attend "parties". Back to the room and more room service for me. The second Millenium Event/Gayness situation involved leaving the hotel lobby at 10:30am and walking right into the middle of 10,000 flaming sweeties marching and having a great time right down the middle of the street we were staying on. Back to the hotel, only this time I did watch in amazement from the safety of my 6th floor window. I don't like it. But I have always heard homophobia was based on ignorance. I figured I would try to learn a little about the culture by viewing the scene from afar. After spending an hour or so getting "unignorated" I amnow more informed AND completely horrified, where as I use to feel just a little uncomfortable I am now cowering in fear and looking out my windows as I write this. I am quite sure THEY know that I am writing this and may appear on my street with their tassles and hot pants at any moment.

All in all, I guess that I do wish the NPPL events were a bit more like the Millenium events. But, I still believe the NPPL gets more of the bad press because of the sheer size of the events. More people who don't come in first, second, or third - means more people looking to place blame for their shortcomings. Having events that are the biggest, and have been for years, makes the NPPL a target for people involved in other events.

One last thing - and again JTHM - this isn't meant personally but your quote serves a purpose

"But answer me this, why is it that when we played a PRO Euro team( nope won't say) we actually had a fighting chance, they walked away when shot, and when we play US AM-Pro they get ungodly breaks that leave us fustrated?"

I can only take this to mean that when you played Shockwave, you almost won and when you played the AA's your were beaten badly. You obviously believe the Shockwave players played fairly and it showed because you almost beat them. The AA's cheated and it showed because they beat you.

I could say the same thing but in a bit of reverse. We played a US pro team and won in 2 minutes while losing just one player. Every person that I thought I shot stood immediately and left the field. We played a Novice US team and lost. I felt very sure that I shot two players, one of them on two seperate occassions. They never left, they were not checked, and they proceeded to shoot 4 or 5 of my players including me. In the same game, a ref left one sideline and went completely across the field to pull one of my players from the other side of the field. This player had just made an undetected move to our opponents side of the fields and was in a great spot to close the game. The ref went and pulled him because someone on my team was looking around the edge of the deadbox. That player looking was me. And I was not only looking, I was talking. I was telling a ref that another ref was trying to get his attention to check one of my players.

My effort to get a ref to check and possibly pull my own player resulted in another ref (50 yards away) deciding to go across the field (ignoring a player 5 feet away from him) and pull the a player who was the one chance we had at winning. This is the same ref who would not go check the players that I felt sure were hit and shot up my team after the fact.

That is 100% honestly what I saw happen in our last game. Sounds like a certain head ref has it in for US pro teams and used his power to get a bit of vengeance.

I could go on every web board and write about how we were screwed and how someone like myself who has done lots of things to help tournament paintball gets screwed because others are jealous of the success, etc

But I chose to try to look at it from the refs view point. And I tried to be open minded to the fact that my view during competition could be skewed.

The ref saw a pro player "yelling" at a judge. He saw the judge tell the pro player to get back behind the dead box. He saw the pro player yell back to the judge. He decided to make the pro player pay for the arrogance. He went and pulled the single player that would penalize the team the most. From his perspective, I understand what he was thinking. I still believe it was a mistake. he proved a point to a player and a team who at least in this instance didn't deserve it. And in proving the point, he eliminated us from the World Cup.

I took time to congratulate the kids on Stange B (the team that beat us). I also took that time to casually look at the two players that I KNEW I had shot. No paint. No spray. No smears. No rubs. No nothing. Looked clean as a whistle to me. I guess I was wrong. Or at least I accept that I could be wrong. I accept that it is very possible that I missed and they didn't. Maybe a judge didn't go check them because he saw that I din't hit them. He is BTW standing and watching while I am snapping and crouching behind a snake.

I wish more people would take the time to think about how they could be wrong in their perception. I wish more people would try to find the good in others and only attack when they have exhausted all efforts in trying to find how the other guy wasn't wrong, and cannot. That's what I try to do. But I guess that isn't normal human nature, and certainly shouldn't be expected from a paintball player. Then again, I have always known that I wasn't a normal human or paintball player. I am a pro player from the US who doesn't cheat. I work for PSP and no one hates me. I have played well over 2000 games of paintball and only think I was cheated 3 or 4 times. I play tournament paintball and don't hate Jerry Braun. I am an old school player who actually thinks Fred Schultz, Robbo, and Dave Youngblood were good players. I'm different. What can I say?

We are all involved in a great game. We all obviously love paintball. Why can't we all just look for the good and stop placing blame without having a remedies? Why can't we quit making excuses? Why can't we work on making ourselves better instead of tearing others down?

Paintball is small. It can grow. It will grow. But we have to learn to respect everyone within our group before we will ever be respected by those on the outside.

Judging could be better, no doubt. How do we make it better? I don't know. The guns, the game, the players are evolving so fast, the refs are being left behind. I have reffed many many times. Sometimes I did a good job. Sometimes I made mistakes. Sometimes when I felt 100% sure that I made the right call, I had someone in my face that I could tell was equally as sure that I made the wrong call.

The prizes suck some say. I say get a job. If you can't afford to play the tournament scene, stay home. But stop all the bitching. If we work together, someday players may make a living playing this game. It may be your little brother, or cousin, or son.

The venues suck. Stop trashing the place. Pick up after yourselves. Don't shoot road signs on the way to the field. Maybe we would be more acceppted as a sport and be able to secure better venues without paying $45,000 per day. Maybe someday paintball will be big enough that the bigger venues will come to us and WANT us there.

Politics are out of control. Yeah, and they will be forever. It is the way of the world. Don't let it bother you. Don't complain. Pick your battles. Fighting to rid anything of politics is futile. Politics have been, are, and always will be a thorn in the side of those not invited to the poitical meetings. In paintball. In construction. In dog breeding. In religion. In life.

As always, just my way of looking at things.

Magued

Jul 10, 2001
Visit site
Tony?

Did you play for GZ at Joy masters?
And I really want to know exactly what you feel the reff did at field 2 to make you say that it was the worst reffed field you ever played at..

Magued

JTHM

American Prat
Oct 31, 2002
USA
Visit site
Kudos Tony, I must say you are well versed, hell and Damn near Psychic... heh. Insert Ton Tons for Shockwave and you nailed it. You may have a TV show in your future.

I do agree with many of the points being brought out, I know nobody is perfect, I just expected the WC to be on par or better than the earlier events. I must say that Chicago was the best reffed tourny this year, not quite as well as WC 2001 but hell, now I'm just splitting hairs. I must add that we did a bit better and maybe that scews my view, but I'm the first guy to congradulate a team that kicked our ass....as long as they didn't cheat us out of the game.

You know whats really funny? We held SC Ironmen once for almost 9mins, we actually went away feeling like we accomplished something. :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Hey Tony, I had already heard the defence of it being the biggest tournament so far as mitigation for its shortfalls from Jerry and as far as I am concerned that is absolutely no excuse.
In fact it makes it damn worse because with the biggest tournament goes the biggest income, don't take no rocket scientist to work out that's for sure.
If the PSP want to wait to the very last second for teams to enter so as to maximise their income and a flood come in at the end (like what happened this year) then the promoters can take no refuge in that.
You damn well have to cap the date, after which no more teams are eligible, no argument !!!!
To wait and wait just gives the impression that the last buck has to be extracted from the teams and no potential provision is made for the extra people.
I mean 12 frikkin toilets for thousands of people ?
U gotta be kiddin me mate !!!
Why the hell should I have to take my wife back to the hotel every time she needed a rest room ?
And the bleachers?
Oh My God !!!
I talked to Renick last night and he told me the bleachers were the responsibility of the vendors associated with that field, well if you think that absolves responsibility of the promoter, then you are wholly mistaken, it's not even close.
The promoter should damn well have checked or at least had minimum requirements laid down for the provision and minimum size of seating.
Spectating the finals was at best described as a joke and once again an insult to people there.
I will give Jerry due credit for a fantastic safety set up, the fields and netting were superb, I also give him due credit for the schedule adherence, once again superb bearing in mind the sheer number of teams that were there.
The concession stand was at best, mediocre, and much better when Renick had it.
Parking was superb and the organisation and management of the parking was exemplary.
But I can't get the toilet, reffing and spectator thingy outa my head, it just seems so basic to me and such a vital requirement to any tournament infrastructure.
Nah, I ain't buying that 'sheer number of teams' mitigation, the entry date should have been capped and due plans made on that basis, to allow over 50 odd teams to register so near the close date smacks more of dollar chasing than it does of participant consideration.
You can't have it both ways mate, you can't boast about how big the cup is and in the same sentence have to put your hands up to abysmal conveniences.
By the way, that's the seventh world cup I been to, I missed last year's.
But as I said before, I do concede that the PSP has made significant inroads to tournament promotion, especially in the last year but Tony, let's be fair, this was the WORLD CUP, shouldn't we expect a little more from Jerry who has had enough experience by now of what people need when attending tournaments ?
As you know, I have been getting on well with Jerry lately and I will give him credit for doing so many good things regarding the cup in past years but you tell me if any of what I have written is in the slightest exaggerated or unfair.
I have no agendas, no bias and I certainly not looking to cause any problems, I hope I am being completely objective and that's why your response is much needed.
If I have been any of these, then I will apologise in a heartbeat.
I await it.

Cya soon

Pete

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Originally posted by Robbo

If the PSP want to wait to the very last second for teams to enter so as to maximise their income and a flood come in at the end (like what happened this year) then the promoters can take no refuge in that.
You damn well have to cap the date, after which no more teams are eligible, no argument !!!!
To wait and wait just gives the impression that the last buck has to be extracted from the teams and no potential provision is made for the extra people.

But this isnt the first time nor do i think it will be the last time PSP has let teams register in such short periods of time to make more money..

Then at A.C. they capped the # of teams as to not have the same problems earlier in the year and then go back to the old policy for Cup..So they sugarcoat the problem 4 one event and keep teams happy only to pull the same bull$hit a little down the line..

And Pete,have we seen the effects of what holding the X-Ball event at Disney has had yet??Are they interested in the least bit in it??After how upper brass ranted and raved at how big this could be 4 paintballs future just what did it exactly do for our beloved sport??

And im not being cynical,just wanted to know, honestly :p

L8R,

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Six, you old silly

Originally posted by headrock6
Then at A.C. they capped the # of teams as to not have the same problems earlier in the year and then go back to the old policy for Cup..So they sugarcoat the problem 4 one event and keep teams happy only to pull the same bull$hit a little down the line..
PSP capped AC at 96 10-man teams in early announcements but if you check there were 110 teams playin' so the cap didn't actually apply to any event.

Stealthknight--Dude, you can read!:p

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Six, you old silly

Originally posted by Baca Loco

PSP capped AC at 96 10-man teams in early announcements but if you check there were 110 teams playin' so the cap didn't actually apply to any event.

Hmmphh...Always trying to kick a man when when he's down eh Baca:p Ahh..i would too..Who am i kidding!:cool:

But 96 to 110 aint that bad..Thers been some instances where they jump from like 65 to somewhere in the 100's in a very short time period and then they always seem to put themselves in a hole time and time again by not being able to accomodate the large influx or so they say..

Take Vegas 4 example..Now i understand that the venue wasnt set until very late but 4 the second event you gotta be expecting most teams to show even with the late announcement..Paintballers have shown a certain dedication to the league yet PSP continually finds a way to mess things up good..And if they cant Cap their events at least plan according to best case scenario and not worst..And yes i know all about Mr.Brauns situation and the schedule problem but there was also the complaining from PSP about how teams register at the last minute and such..

And have you noticed the continuing trend of a horrible event followed by a spectacular event only to see things take a step backward again...Seems like PSP works best when thier backs are against the wall so why cant they be pushed and kept there for longer than 1 event??

And after years of promoting and running events you would think they could get all 5 events right at least 1 of the times..These arent idiots were dealing with.I could understand that weather and certain factors are uncontrollable..But things like schedules,refs,bathrooms 4 christs sake,bleachers 4 spectators(and i dont know how then can say we want to better the sport when they wont even provide outside advertising 4 the event or bleachers 4 fans to watch) are all things that shouldnt even be a problem after all these years yet they still are...These are problems that resurface time and time again yet nothing ever seems to change..

Im done ranting..