Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why do the Euros want in on X?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Although with current developments, I get the feeling that the gap might be bridged a little sooner than a lot of people thought. Russian Legion is looking sharper every day, and Nexus sounds like an asskicking waiting to be unleashed on an unsuspecting scene.
Let's see if Europe will be put back on the map!

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Thanks, Al

Good answer but some of Pete's latest reports have me wonderin' what will become of it all depending on who is in charge. After all, the vision of X is a whole lot bigger than just a new format for the same old tired traveling road show.

Bud--they have an expression over here for your sort, rah-rah! :p
(Actually extensive X-Ball play will highlight the Russians current deficits in ways Mil events didn't. Tho I wouldn't totally discount their ability to change and improve, I just think from what I've seen they're missing a piece a two--particularly in X.)

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Xball is a much harder game to play. It highlights your smallest weakness as games are played over and over.

There is very little luck involved in Xball. It's not like Mills/NPPL where Team numpty can take out 4 of Dynasty on the break and then roll them if they get lucky. Sure they might do that once in an Xball environment - but for the other 99% of the match they'll get pounded as the better quality shows through.

So unless we play this with the yanks you can kiss the chance of parity goodbye in a heartbeat as they'll improve sooo much faster then we ever could.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Beaker,
I completely agree that the Euro teams would have to play with the Americans in order to get their level. That's really a no brainer (which explains why I understood :D )
Baca,
Sure, the Russkies have a thing or two to learn in X-ball. But they did not play as their regular selves. For some reason they changed their game (at least, that's what I gather from those who were their, and who are familiar with the RL's normal MO). I think they might have what it takes to be contenders. Don't forget, lately they have shown a consistency that other teams haven't. They keep ending in the top three, whereas a lot of the American teams rip sh*t up one month, and bomb out the next. If the NXL (or whatever) will be anything like a real league, that would mean that they will end pretty high in the overall standings.

Later!

Buddha 'rah-rah' 3

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
It's gotta get sorted from the off

I don't think anyone can really stop Richmond and co. from having the X-Ball as an internal NFL/NHL style league, especially when it is such a good idea and would only really work in the States BUT we as Europeans need to somehow sort oursleves out with a league of our own IF a universal one cannot be achieved with possible mid season knockout cup contests maybe?? or more Nations Cup orientated events. If there was an American X league and a Euro X league running simultaneously with some large profile feature international matches thrown in this then keeps X-Ball a Global concept with the chance for the top Yank and Euro teams to play eachother. Perhaps this is the future of X-Ball?? Maybe it's up to some of the forward thinking European paintball figures to think about rather than it all being organised by the States??

Oh, my head hurts, I just want to play. :(

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
It's gotta get sorted from the off

Originally posted by Al Woods
I don't think anyone can really stop Richmond and co. from having the X-Ball as an internal NFL/NHL style league, especially when it is such a good idea and would only really work in the States BUT we as Europeans need to somehow sort oursleves out with a league of our own IF a universal one cannot be achieved with possible mid season knockout cup contests maybe?? or more Nations Cup orientated events. If there was an American X league and a Euro X league running simultaneously with some large profile feature international matches thrown in this then keeps X-Ball a Global concept with the chance for the top Yank and Euro teams to play eachother. Perhaps this is the future of X-Ball?? Maybe it's up to some of the forward thinking European paintball figures to think about rather than it all being organised by the States??

Oh, my head hurts, I just want to play. :(
Al, trust me when I tell ya that European interests are best served when we try to align ourselves closely with the US X-Ball model and league.
Integration is where it's at and the idea of us running a nations cup would be a disaster if we are to have any real chance of maintaining some sort of standard of play and not let the Yanks run away with it.
The Millennium was going to go down that path of a Nations Cup but it was precisely this that led Sergei and myself to try and change things.
It has to be team based and it has to be a formal integration of Yank teams coming to our Millenniums and us to theirs that ensures all of our interests are consolidated both financial and standards of play.
Any less, than what we have got, has us once again playing second fiddle to them, lucky for us, Richmond listened to us and effected the changes Stateside to facilitate our integration where Euro teams are on an equal par, leastwise in theory, with the American contingent.
And if you think about it, it shows a couple of things, that perhaps us Euros do have some influence and it also shows us that Richmond was accommodating enough to not only listen but to succesfully advocate our proposals to the PSP.
The PSP also deserve credit for taking on board these major changes to their existing agreed format.
Pete

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Cool big guy

So things are looking good then?

I don't fully understand what is going off at the moment but I do know that it'd be a shame if we lost out.......but as you say, it does look like everyone is actually listening to everyone else for a change.

Cheers. :)

Bobvannes

Sandbagger
Oct 6, 2002
USA
Visit site
You kids might all get a chance to play X-Ball really soon. There is now talk of Mardi Gras going to X-Ball format next year to try it out for a large scale tournament.

Micah

Originally posted by Bobvannes
You kids might all get a chance to play X-Ball really soon. There is now talk of Mardi Gras going to X-Ball format next year to try it out for a large scale tournament.
Unless you were to only be playing 2 matches (+/-1) The cost would be outrageous. And how could you determine a winner of the whole tourney based on 2 or 3 matches?

I'm interested to see how this is going to work ...

-Micah