Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

2000+ years old

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
ok let's assume i was born in the year 0, and i'm 2000+ years old and still kicking. I know who the hell could live that long, no-one, but let's just let that one go for now.
Anyway, someone puts pen to paper and comes up with one hell of a story about some guy who rises against the current establishment and does a few magic tricks. Sound a bit familiar, well it should it's been hanging around for 2000 years, just like the hypothetical me.
So, this is the bit about this book, which apparently has been a best seller for quite a while now, that i find hard to digest.
After this story, and i say story lightly as to not offend it's readers, over the 2000 years of my hypothetical life, i've not seen or heard anything more from this self proclaimed icon.
2000 years....and nothing.
But before you get on your high horse and say some prepared get out line, stop and think. Where or what is this so called iconic figure that has been there for at least 2000 years without any contact or even a email.

Why are you making up excuses.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Let's go back to this hypothetical 2000 year life i've had, and let's say i was one of the converted all those years ago, i fell for the magic tricks, i followed the teachings, i was taken in. I would be pretty bored by now, waiting for some semblance of tangible evidence that someone or something is really out there. "Wait" you say "it's a faith, we don't need a physical being, we just believe", well if that's what floats your boat, why not believe in father christmas, why not make Aesops Fables the new book of the century. Why be so weak.

Reactions: NSKlad

Homewrecker

previously Tomtimus Prime
Aug 9, 2010
Manchester
The Book was written as a guide to life, to project morals and rules (mostly made from reasonable and practical sense) onto those who didn't think they had to worry about any consequences. It was a very clever tool of control, and still is. It is the same as almost all books in its 'genre'.

Its a lot easier to tell someone that they should/shouldn't do something 'or <insert inescapable punishment>' than actually explain to them why they shouldn’t and hope they understand - fear is a much more effective than reason. Especially when a high percentage of the Society is uneducated, much like the times of it’s creation.

Unfortunately like most things, it was corrupted (even more so) in an attempt to be use as a tool for gaining more control, power and wealth. People worked out that if you claimed a person would go to hell or where ever if they didn’t pay taxes for example - then people would pay taxes without question, hence the 'Dark Ages: the time where Science was forgotten'

It also helped explain all those things that people couldn't even begin to understand, in a very simple and clean fashion. Don't know why something happened/where something came from? – Well God did it, easy fix. People’s fear of dying and fear of a meaningless life will overwrite reason any day... give them any nugget of hope and they will cling to it against all odds...probably why it's lasted so long.

Maybe this sandal wearing fellow and his friends was actually real, maybe he was just an overly nice charitable being, who saw people confused and scared and decided to give them reason and purpose by telling a few stories... and 2000 years of Chinese whispers turned him into a messiah, who knows?

Just to note.... I am entirely atheist, but do I like to understand why this and it’s cultural cousins have had such a vice grip over the world for so long.

edit: my spelling was sinful...

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Just a book of fables then, and the "vice grip" i suppose it's the football scenario. Easy to understand, and doesn't require much thought.

Reactions: NSKlad