Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Back to barrels again, but can you tell me why..

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
some barrels have very nice smooth inner bore and some have a rifled inner?

In particular I'm thinking about a stock (old) mag armson barrel that has rifling inside. Are most barrels rifle free these days?

Will it blend paint more than other barrels?

Cheers folks,

Chimp

enid_puceflange

Homo - Indomitus
well,

the theory was that the rifeling (bad spelling) was supposed to put "spin" on the ball much like a rifle does with a bullet, making it more stable through its flightpath and not "tumbelling" (more bad spelling) not actually tried a rifelled paintball barrel to see if there is much in it. dont know who else makes barrels like that other than Armson, try a decent "smoothbore" barrel and compare, stick to what works for you.
many of the guys on my team rave about the Freak system, but i find boomies better (think i am bad at getting a decent paint/bore match) but try everything at least once!:D

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
well,

Originally posted by enid_puceflange
the theory was that the rifeling (bad spelling) was supposed to put "spin" on the ball much like a rifle does with a bullet, making it more stable through its flightpath and not "tumbelling" (more bad spelling) not actually tried a rifelled paintball barrel to see if there is much in it. dont know who else makes barrels like that other than Armson, try a decent "smoothbore" barrel and compare, stick to what works for you.
many of the guys on my team rave about the Freak system, but i find boomies better (think i am bad at getting a decent paint/bore match) but try everything at least once!:D
The effect of rifling and what it does for paintball is touched upon in WPG2003!!

See the barrel review section!
:D :D :D

Paul.
:)

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
Rifling in paintball barrels has been proven useless numerous times. I think theres been a couple articles on it at warpig.com if you want to search and check it out. All they basically said is that they don't put any spin on the ball, and the flight path wasn't any straighter or longer than with any of the other barrels they tested. Like that other guy said, I don't think anybody but armson even makes rifled barrels anymore. Go for an upper end "smooth" barrel, they work great.

Munkeh

Planet of the Apes
Jul 12, 2002
Cheshire
Visit site
Although... (My fluid dynamics is pretty poor but im sure i should be able to explain it!) If you put back spin on the shell of the ball it "should" give it more lift giving a much straighter trajectory! This is due to Bernulli's is it? Because the air is travelling faster over the top you have a lower pressure and therfore the pressure difference should give you lift! Anyone who does (aeronautical) engineering should be able to tell you more!! I might conduct a few experiments (With Davo's Boomy mwahahaha!!)

Munkeh

Planet of the Apes
Jul 12, 2002
Cheshire
Visit site
But you dont have to spin the mass to get lift! All you need is a pressure difference created by the rotation in the plane of travel to get lift prependicular to that direction (Not sideways before you say it! ;) ) To counteract the effect of gravity so you no longer have a parabolic flight path! Whats Durham like by the way? My G/Fs going next year to read maths :rolleyes: Im going to Cambridge (If i get 3 As this year) to read engineering so my knowledge on the subject is purely my Geekiness!!

Re backspin: Your talking the flatline there, not riffling. But I think you're right. I am a humble natsci, so I know nothing of these things.

Durham's great! Though I am leaving at the end of this year. What college's she at? Make sure she joins the DUPS!

You fancy getting a Cambridge PBall team sorted for the Uni Championships when you get there?

Richard