Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Basic newbie questions...any helpers?

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
Ok a small string of qns for you folks, if you can help out, great!

Looking at picking up my first marker and need some help wading through all the techno babble.
I have a limited budget, and don't want to go mad on my first marker. I want something I can get to grips with in terms of learning about it and keeping it maintained well without doing a degree in advanced paintball tech.

Have played a few times in the NW (based out of Manchester), and would appreciate if people could point out their fave sites or good fields to go play on in the area (or maybe slightly out of the area).

I would I deally like to try and pick up the tech side of things (see gun question) and was wondering if any fields or clubs run tech days or something similar that I could participate in and ask all my stupid questions at once (for the price of a few beers / food of course!)?

Being a fairly tall fella, the main prob I have when playing is keeping my footing as I tend to hurtle around a fair bit, now my climbing/X-trainers are doing the best they can but is there anything more useful out there short of preparing running shoes with spikes for the wet weather?

Cheers guys,

Chimp

Herb

Herbal Remedy
Oct 10, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Chimp, if you want grip in the wet weather you are best getting a pair of astro turf trainers or cleets.

With regards to the marker to get i would say you are probably best getting a second marker cause you can get good quality markers for bargain prices. You can normally pick something like an impulse for about £350.00

I personally would go with an impulse, i have had mine for a year now and it has never let me down, its very easy to maintain and there are lots of ways that you can upgrade it.

What sort of paintballing are you looking to get into, rec-ball or tourny ball.

If it is rec-ball that you are looking for there is a site in Congleton and Knutsford and there is also an indoor site in Dukinfield (well its more Ashton than dukinfield)

If its tourny-ball your looking to get into you would really need to try and find a team that is looking for players as there isn't really any sites around here that have sup air

Hope this has been helpful, if not just ignore everything that you have read and forget i even replied

:rolleyes:

good luck:D :D

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
Oh cheers Herb, excellent news.

Well, the rec-ball side of things I enjoy from the social side, it's great to trade paint with a bunch of your mates, but I would like to give the tourny side of things a go as well. All this is a bit in the future yet, aiming for first marker and some obvious improvement when I practice with it before I go trying to get into teams and the like.

Yeah, I think the 2nd hand angle on the marker is going to be the easiest, scanning through the classifieds threads here I see some (sadly old) posts that are pretty much what I am looking for.

In terms of markers like the impulse or the spyder and its mod'ed brothers, do you reckon there is anything that I should def make sure I get (feature wise) or something that I should avoid?

Hell does anyone know of any real bad bits to avoid when buying markers?

Cheers

nickp

Feb 27, 2002
Manchester, UK
teamrdx.co.uk
Where possible try as many markers as you can until you find one that you like... then if buying second hand try to play with the actual marker, you intend buying.... if you know someone who knows about markers then ask them to check it out for you.. most of the guys selling on here are reliable....

Dec 23, 2001
East of E-Numberia
Visit site
there is a huge veriety of paintball markers on the market.
The impulse is a great one. but it may be out of your budget.
I also recomend that you find out if your local sites will let you user your own equipment. some dont like electronic markers, other dont like anything other than their site guns.

once thats established, then your well away.
You can pick up an Automag for under £200 complete s/h. these are sturdy, reliable, good peices of kit. and are highly upgradable.

if you want new, then your looking at Infernos, Tippmanns, Spyders, Piranahs, and clones/copies of the same.

The Inferno is made in the UK and is a good reliable marker. Really easy to clean, and can run on air or CO2 (co2 is cheaper by far).
Tippmanns are bomb proof, litterally. They rerely break down. and many Recball players love them. they dont really cut the mustard that well at tournement level though. (ok except in the hands of "tippmann effect")
Spyder/Piranahs are very similar in style. Both markers are offered in a veriety of forms to suit all sorts of budgets and players. they run well if properly maintained.

NEVER listen to anyone saying BUY ****** its the best marker around". its all down to prefferance. If you want to mainly play woodland games with a bunch of mates, then just get something you feel comfortable shooting.

Try B4 you buy. You'll never know how well a marker shoots, until youve shot one (especially in a game). Everone is differant. And even if someone tells you Marker X is naff, you might find it perfect for you.

I love autocockers, Herb likes impulses, and Neddyboy Definatly loves Tippmanns. eveyone has their favourite.
The trick is finding yours.

spyderflashlcd23

Watch out your gunna get
Oct 14, 2002
High Wycombe, Bucks
Visit site
OK one good peice of advice is to not clib up a tree (if they even allow it) cause i was up one at a site in America and wheres the easiest target??????

right up the middlle and GOD did that hurt

as i said earlier i wouldnt even bother climbing up trees;)

Herb

Herbal Remedy
Oct 10, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
it is quite hard to answer the question of what to avoid because a lot of it comes from personal preference.

my advise would simply to try the marker out before you decide to buy it, make sure you like the way it shoots and shoulders, everything else can be worked on afterwards.

Saying that my best advice would be to get the best marker that you can afford, (personally i would avoid a spyder) especially if you are looking to get into the tourny scene at some point in the future. Go for an electronic marker as it is capable of much faster rates of fire

fuxup

JAGUAR XS
Sep 19, 2002
USA
Visit site
hiya welcome to these forums ashas been said loads try out before you buy get down to your local shop and ask to try the markers out most shopswill let you try them out.My first marker was a tippy 98 custom which i liked then i got a Spyder AMG which im well happy with it ,handled itself real well up against markers that cost twice as much .Find something you like and enjoy yourself;)

Twisty

Softly spoken
Jan 20, 2002
Leamington Spa
What level of ball are you wanting to play? i.e tourney teams or rec woodball? Like all the guys say, try before you buy.
Welcome to the paintball family
Twist :D

Gogger

Crispy Fried
Jul 7, 2001
North Wales
Visit site
Ok, so where can you go to find, a nice bunch of guys, who know what they're talking about, are happy to help out and will let you try out they're markers. That has a great rec ball site (for fun) and a sup-air field (for when you start to get into tournies) and an abundance of teams around to get the chance to play with and for. But probably most of all, you want it cheap!
Is Wrexham to far for you to travel?????
If it is, then you're out of luck:(
If it isn't, then ring me at Marchbrook Leisure. 01978-311300. DON'T PUT IT OFF! DO IT NOW! TELL ME ABOUT THIS POST AND I WILL GIVE YOU AN UNBELIEVABLE OFFER FOR THIS WEEKEND!

Gogger.