Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Credit crunch

obladeo

Platinum Member Lifetime
Nov 27, 2008
In a Shrubbery
Just been thinking about this as i've started to see allot of kit go up for sale atm.

Do you think it will effect paintballing allot? or has it effected you?

Snowwolf

Rebellion
Oct 30, 2008
Northants
Its hit the industry im in hard, but after speaking to BZ yesterday it doesnt seem to have effected them whatsoever!

In my opinion 2009 is going to be a better year, 2008 was a **** up start to finish.

Do bear in mind people may be selling kit for many reasons other than money worries. I.e They've bought something new, they got something new for Christmas, or selling due to having too much kit they never use etc etc.

I dont however think its all roses. Money people spend on paintball is money left over after paying bills, the mortgage. If people have less, little or no money left over after paying for their essentials then of course the paintball industry amoungst others, is going to suffer.

Luxuries and hobbies are the first things to get dropped when money gets tight. After all, paintball isnt cheap!

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
In my opinion 2009 is going to be a better year, 2008 was a **** up start to finish.
Amazing optimism that you have!

20 major retailers that will fold in the first quarter and increased unemployment, etc, yeah things are looking just rosy.

Due to the whole uncertainness people cut their luxuries first, and that means paintball.

Our only positive hope is that Robbo and the British industry collective can sort out a more stable playing infrastructure for us, and that we have enough players left to field it.

But to answer the original question

I'm a forklift tech, who gets around every form of business from retailers to builders to paper factories. The building industry and all it's associated suppliers have died on their feet, any major manufacturer is struggling because of downturn in sales, shipping has all but stopped, even waste recycling has died because the far east isn't buying anything, But the people who are still busy are the little companies who have seen little or no change, i've even had a few that are flat out and cannot keep up. For my company our first 9 months of last year were the best ever?

I think the thing to do in these times is just be sensible and don't panic;)

jitsuwarrior

Old Baller, getting older
Jun 14, 2007
Northern England
From my perspective the credit crunch is the best thing to happen.

My mortgage is up for renewal and they have slashed the interest rates. I am also seeking planning permission to extend my house as well as enquiring about purchasing an Audi A3(shiny and new).

My job is very secure and I receive two pay rises a year, so for personal greed I want to see this credit crunch continue.... there again when you look around Teesside retail park has a 1mile tail back to get in. Middlesbrough itself has all its car parks full.

I guess this credit crunch is struggling to effect the North East just yet

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
I guess this credit crunch is struggling to effect the North East just yet
It is effecting them, their just too stupid to notice:D:D:D:D
Sorry only joking.:cool:

To be honest, the crunch hasn't and doesn't effect a lot of people, myself included, but the media has shafted the country by panicking everybody:mad:

Snowwolf

Rebellion
Oct 30, 2008
Northants
20 major retailers that will fold in the first quarter and increased unemployment, etc, yeah things are looking just rosy.
Been watching the news lately? ;)

Personally i think this is a good thing as said above. Never been a better time to buy houses!

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Never been a better time to buy houses!
Apart from before the 80's when houses were affordable and before Thatcher made everybody greedy!:mad:

Yeah great! a 3 bed for £200,000+ which is £10,000 cheaper than 3 months ago, wow your right, "never" been a better time.:(

Lets face facts.
If the government and bank of England had increased interest rates 3 years ago, it would have made everyone more cautious, and possibly avoided this financial fiasco, by keeping everything low, it allowed false confidence and extended borrowing beyond everyone's means. But no lets just let prices escalate out of control until the bubble bursts as it "ALWAYS" does.

CRASH

Team Rampage
Sep 23, 2008
The Ghetto
You may well have secure jobs and not be feeling the effects of the credit crunch but that doesn't mean the papers are making it seem worse than it is.
I have been in the building and construction industry for 11 years and this is by far the worst i have ever seen it.

I work in my small family business providing concrete haulage solutions, we have 5 concrete mixer HGV's and provide haulage to the countries largest building firms and suppliers.

Business started to slow down around Feb of this year, by May we were down to working a 4 day week and by Sept lucky if we had 2 days a week.

I worked my last day in October and since then we have had to let 5 drivers go, park up all the trucks (declare sorn, cancel insurance, etc...) and give up the yard we operated from to find cheaper parking.

I have a lot of friends in the same industry and they are all having the same problem, so while a few of you find the whole recession thing quite handy by bringing down house prices, etc... just remember there are quite a few of us out here that dont have that job security and it is a struggle to pay the mortgage every month at the moment.

paintballJett

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2008
Sm5 2lw
The credit crunch is a load of bull****. It should only affect major banks and the stock markets, and guess what guys when you gamble there is a chance you will lose.

There is no sympathy for gamblers and thats what stock brokers are.

Everyone should stop panicking unless you are involved in either the banking or stock industry and even that would have just been a slight hiccup nothing like what the media has made it.

Personally I believe the government should have shouted panic! panic! cos sitting at home hearing my brown tell me 'not to panic' made me jump out of my seat.

Snowwolf

Rebellion
Oct 30, 2008
Northants
Apart from before the 80's when houses were affordable and before Thatcher made everybody greedy!:mad:

Yeah great! a 3 bed for £200,000+ which is £10,000 cheaper than 3 months ago, wow your right, "never" been a better time.:(
Being in the business helps.

Your comment on a 3 bed that sold for over 200k say 3 months ago is now £10k cheaper is roughly inline with the national average yes.

However, if your an investor who buys BTL's for example then you can afford to be cheeky at the moment. I havent recieved an asking price offer in over 6 months.

I sold a house 3 weeks ago which was bought for £290,000 in Feb 08, for £195,000 due to the vendor being desperate to sell. Yes, its an extreme case but to give 2 other examples....

A good friend bought 2 two bed semi's in a popular area 5 months ago. They were worth roughly £160-165,000 at their peak. He paid £130,000 for each of them.

It isnt uncommon. You just have to be on the look out for the deals and have the cash waiting.