The Home Of European Paintball

Disasters Effecting paintball teams??

le-pig

the brotherhood
May 16, 2002
isle of man
Visit site
Originally posted by HERMITT
I am not saying that we should not feel sympathy towrds those involved and do our best to help them. However, as we fall silent in a shopping mall on yet another occassion, as we stop to put the change in the collection tin, it is difficult not to question the sincerity of these actions when we then return to our lives as normal. Grief is not an emotion to be taken lightly, when people feel that a minutes silence (or three in this case) is a suitable way of expressing this grief, it is hard not to see it as a little condiscending to those that have actually been affected.
agreed,when you put your change in the tin or obay the silense how many people acctually feel grief,not many i bet,i personaly find it hard to be that upset,i feel sad for them but i can't grieve for someone/people that i never met before:(

L J

big big titties
the most annoying thing i find in minutes silences (on the 11th of november or the 3 mins silence for tsunami) is when some teenagers think its funny to talk. happened in college, my faith in humanity was restored when his mate turned around and smacked him in the arm as hard as he could

tbh, one of the governments was at fault, because they were offered a tsunami warning system, but they chose not to get it because ' they dont happen very often'

WKD

Apr 7, 2002
East yorkshire
Visit site
I still agree with Buddahs example that yes whilst shocking and distressing for everybody why is it now the millions of pounds ids being raised by govenment across the globe when peple have been dieing in wars and starving to death for years with nothing done about it except what is raised from charity events and the like.
I think alot of it could be more a political chess game than just helping out think of all the things that you have in your home that have the name made in malaysia in your home and you may catch my drift.
And Tsunami should keep the name.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Originally posted by Steve Hancock
Budda's example,

Number of aids deaths per year.

Loads of stuff happens but isn't instantaneous so its not newsworthy. I would be amazed if fewer people starved to death last year than died in the tsunami.

Even within the tsunami, more of a fuss is being made over the 100,000 instant deaths the the 1,000,000 that face disese etc afterwards.
yeah we should stop complaining.......... worse things happen. After all, when my grandad went we had a bit of a party..... just the one bloke y'see and just two months previously thousands had died in the Gulf.........so we felt crap getting upset.

It makes news, people help, it works. Or do we just wait 'till the end of the year and help the biggest disaster? We could have a vote..... be like Eurovision?
As for the 3 minutes silence? weird I thought...... isn't it always a minute for most things and two for "remembrance Sunday" which is for all of the war dead... ever. So why was this one three?
To give people something to complain about? Probably.

So what's the concensus then....... yeah 100,000+ died here, but you can't grumble, look at what vesuvius did.
And stop whining about Aids........... the Black death wiped out millions.

Oh, and the tsunami has still had less coverage than Princess Di's crash or OJ Simpson......... so I don't see what we are complaining about really.
It'll only be news until Beckham dips his wick again anyway.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
While there are many bad things happening all the time, and it may seem hypocritical to express so much over one event that is spectacular in addition to being tragic and real, I think criticizing positive response is wrong.

If we get it right one time out of a hundred, expressing compassion, sympathy, and offering material assistance to people we don't know with no likelihood of personal benefit or direct material return, that is reason for pride that we finally got it right, not scorn. If this larger awareness of human suffering leads to more concrete life changes than three minutes of silence or what have you, that is great. That shouldn't belittle any act of condolence or aid that we who are unaffected undertake.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by gyroscope
While there are many bad things happening all the time, and it may seem hypocritical to express so much over one event that is spectacular in addition to being tragic and real, I think criticizing positive response is wrong.

If we get it right one time out of a hundred, expressing compassion, sympathy, and offering material assistance to people we don't know with no likelihood of personal benefit or direct material return, that is reason for pride that we finally got it right, not scorn. If this larger awareness of human suffering leads to more concrete life changes than three minutes of silence or what have you, that is great. That shouldn't belittle any act of condolence or aid that we who are unaffected undertake.
I couldn't agree with you more. If my post gave people the impression that I think we shouldn't send aid, I did not mean to imply that. Quite the contrary.
It just puzzles me that some tragedies only make people shrug their shoulders...particularly when they are man made, as opposed to nature made.

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
Originally posted by L J
tbh, one of the governments was at fault, because they were offered a tsunami warning system, but they chose not to get it because ' they dont happen very often'
this tsunami would of beat any early warning system, they wouldn't of stood much more of a chance. This is from a professor of geology at uni :)

ya cant really fault anyone for an act of god/nature...

(this is a very interesting thread and im quite enjoying it, any chance of a similar thread each week to keep things interesting? llike does god exist? should we eat animals? am i ga...er :rolleyes: seriously tho....)