Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Do'h Did Paintball Just Die On Us???

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think it fair to say our sport has undergone a massive contraction in the last few years; it's speculated the US has shed something like 70% of its turnover in the last few years leaving the industry reeling in the wake of such a financial tsunami.
All around us we are hearing tales of doom and gloom but surely we can't be seeing the final death throes of our beloved sport?
I'm obviously not referring to paintball across the board; I’m specifically talking about the retail market that services tournaments, walk-ons and rec players.

It's true to say that not all the news is bad because if we cast our eye toward Europe and the Far East, there is certainly some growth but is it enough to keep the vulture-like bank managers still flying above or are they about to descend and feed on corporate flesh?

A leading US industry figure remarked recently:-
'The US is a graveyard, and things are still managing to get worse, Europe is basically ticking over but the only real growth is to be found in the Far East and that's where I shall now focus my efforts'.

I think those sentiments will most certainly be echoed by several other big industry figures but does this mean paintball in the US is actually dying?
We are referring of course to the retail side of our sport which serves the following factions; tournaments/teams, rec/scenario players, and walk-ons .. all these guys buy equipment at some stage.
However, it must be said, site business seems to be relatively stabilised in the US.

This 70% contraction in retail sales has had wide-reaching effects and it remains to be seen as to which companies can downscale in time to prevent financial suffocation as expenditure races to outstrip resources; this is a race that just
has to be won.

I predict that if we don’t win this race, our industry will create a vacuum that will be undoubtedly filled in the short to mid terms by Far-East companies, and if this happens, you can forget the levels of support our industry has previously given to our sport.

The Far-East people look as though they have little to no intention of investing a damn cent in retail paintball as we know it, leastwise not in Europe or the US.
Things may change of course but I for one will be crossing my fingers the Yanks sort their **** out because if history has taught us anything, its, if the Yanks are down, they are more than likely gonna come back gunning like a pissed-off Dirty Harry with a Kalashnikov.
People can say whatever they like about the Yanks but I give them this, there is no other nation around that can promote like those guys do and they understand what ‘support’ actually means as against paying lip service to it.
I do not believe the existing Far East companies have the same operational ethos and will thus strangle any remaining life out of our tournaments and teams.
I don’t believe it is the wilful intent of those Far East companies to actually destroy our tournaments but let’s borrow a ‘wonderful’ American term for the time being and describe it as ‘collateral damage’ ..... Nice eh?

For the time being, Far East sales will no doubt suffice as a financial lay-over while companies downscale their interests but this can’t last forever, the industry needs the US to begin its revival and quick!!!!

I suppose this all sounds a tad pessimistic but hey, don’t shoot the messenger here, for the most part, I’m just relaying the facts of the matter and perhaps my speculation thereafter is somewhat dismal but this is borne more out of expediency than anything else.
I would love to report a US green shoot of recovery but as of yet the only shard of optimism I can pick up is one that has its roots deeply embedded in pragmatism and it’s 'things can’t get much worse' ....... can they?

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I think it fair to say our sport has undergone a massive contraction in the last few years; it's speculated the US has shed something like 70% of its turnover in the last few years leaving the industry reeling in the wake of such a financial tsunami.
All around us we are hearing tales of doom and gloom but surely we can't be seeing the final death throes of our beloved sport?
I'm obviously not referring to paintball across the board; I’m specifically talking about the retail market that services tournaments, walk-ons and rec players.

It's true to say that not all the news is bad because if we cast our eye toward Europe and the Far East, there is certainly some growth but is it enough to keep the vulture-like bank managers still flying above or are they about to descend and feed on corporate flesh?

A leading US industry figure remarked recently:-
'The US is a graveyard, and things are still managing to get worse, Europe is basically ticking over but the only real growth is to be found in the Far East and that's where I shall now focus my efforts'.

I think those sentiments will most certainly be echoed by several other big industry figures but does this mean paintball in the US is actually dying?
We are referring of course to the retail side of our sport which serves the following factions; tournaments/teams, rec/scenario players, and walk-ons .. all these guys buy equipment at some stage.
However, it must be said, site business seems to be relatively stabilised in the US.

This 70% contraction in retail sales has had wide-reaching effects and it remains to be seen as to which companies can downscale in time to prevent financial suffocation as expenditure races to outstrip resources; this is a race that just
has to be won.

I predict that if we don’t win this race, our industry will create a vacuum that will be undoubtedly filled in the short to mid terms by Far-East companies, and if this happens, you can forget the levels of support our industry has previously given to our sport.

The Far-East people look as though they have little to no intention of investing a damn cent in retail paintball as we know it, leastwise not in Europe or the US.
Things may change of course but I for one will be crossing my fingers the Yanks sort their **** out because if history has taught us anything, its, if the Yanks are down, they are more than likely gonna come back gunning like a pissed-off Dirty Harry with a Kalashnikov.
People can say whatever they like about the Yanks but I give them this, there is no other nation around that can promote like those guys do and they understand what ‘support’ actually means as against paying lip service to it.
I do not believe the existing Far East companies have the same operational ethos and will thus strangle any remaining life out of our tournaments and teams.
I don’t believe it is the wilful intent of those Far East companies to actually destroy our tournaments but let’s borrow a ‘wonderful’ American term for the time being and describe it as ‘collateral damage’ ..... Nice eh?

For the time being, Far East sales will no doubt suffice as a financial lay-over while companies downscale their interests but this can’t last forever, the industry needs the US to begin its revival and quick!!!!

I suppose this all sounds a tad pessimistic but hey, don’t shoot the messenger here, for the most part, I’m just relaying the facts of the matter and perhaps my speculation thereafter is somewhat dismal but this is borne more out of expediency than anything else.
I would love to report a US green shoot of recovery but as of yet the only shard of optimism I can pick up is one that has its roots deeply embedded in pragmatism and it’s 'things can’t get much worse' ....... can they?

I can guess who gave you that quote, and to be honest I think that company, and other manufacturers within that State, are having the worst of it.
In Canada many businesses are up, or at least flat (some stores are gone, but often to the benefit of others). Fields in the US are up or flat. It's the high end guys, specifically the super-high-end guys, that are getting the very worst of it and I wonder whether that model even stands up any more. Eclipse do a good job, but only so long as they are the coolest cats. if someone else was the top of the chain eclipse would likely be saying the same thing as the guy in your quote...

I think there has been an awakening among the US consumers. It's cool to save now, it's uncool to be wasteful or extravagant. I would not want to sell $1500 guns in this climate, but having said that, this may have been Tippmanns best ever year.
In short, it's not a graveyard, it's a plastic surgeons office. You got to change your face and what you have to offer, if you want to keep getting laid.

Reactions: Echowitch

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
So, as most pro teams should by now have hammered out their sponsorship deals for 2011, we'll see what happens in the off-season after WC in terms of teams announcing splitting, combining and new signings/depatures.

Fisz

Ka mate!
Jun 10, 2006
So, as most pro teams should by now have hammered out their sponsorship deals for 2011, we'll see what happens in the off-season after WC in terms of teams announcing splitting, combining and new signings/depatures.
Nuh Nah...Most of those teams definitely have not hammered out their deals for 2011... There are at least 2 new paint manufacturers enteriing the market now or in the near future, new gun makers and possibly new goggles out there...I think the deals will not be finalised until at least january.

3L1TE hax

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2009
I dont wanna be a dick, but A Certain SP Company kind of HAS to move east. They aren't exactly rolling in respect from many places...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I dont wanna be a dick, but A Certain SP Company kind of HAS to move east. They aren't exactly rolling in respect from many places...
Money rules markets not respect ... if SP have the money to invest in the US then trust me, people will take that money regardless of respect; the only time 'respect' may or may not be a factor is when credit terms are sought.

SP's moves eastward aren't due to any lack of respect but because of financial expediency.
First off, I'm not the Gardner's defence counsel here but I will try to tell the truth as I know it when it comes to those guys.

You must also remember the Smart Parts hate bandwagon was helped on its way by people who had agendas coming out their ear-holes ... Billy and Adam were easy targets for the hate mongers and the campaign against them easily generated momentum with keyboard warriors ten a penny on the forums across the world.
People just love to knock other people down especially when those targets are perceived to be 'important'.

I think the people who know what really went down don't so much take issue with the principle of product protectionism using patents but they did take issue with the way things were done .... I think that whole process came across as extremely self-serving [but that's what protectionism is] greedy and malicious.
Even then, if any of those attackers had actually sat and down talked to either Billy and Adam then I think their opinions would have changed.

3L1TE hax

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2009
But money is directly proportional to respect in my opinion.

Make a good product you get respect, you also get more purchases and as such more money.

Without respect you sell less and as such less money.

baudsenseless

PMGWC #3
May 27, 2010
Unfortunately in the case of sp, there will always be a group of people that will knock what ever they do, some of these people were created unfortunately due to the gardners work ethic, but there is a large group of people that have been introduced to the sport by products manufactured by smartparts, how many people had a ion as a first marker?? would the slg's of this world exist without sp ion forging a market for a low cost, high spec marker?

The market will change. more established companies will disappear and more new companies will appear to take a bite at what is left of the pie. If there is company that you feel is important, support it! Purchase new items and don't complain when they are gone if you didn't buy there products. If you want uk support, buy a uk manufactures marker.

You can make a fantastic product and gain all the respect for it, but if no one buys it you won't stay in business.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
But money is directly proportional to respect in my opinion.

Make a good product you get respect, you also get more purchases and as such more money.

Without respect you sell less and as such less money.
What you are saying looks sorta right until you look to clarify its meaning ... then I'm afraid it don't hold too much water.

3L1TE hax

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2009
Baudsenseless, i can agree with that point, its tough to find a walk-on where one person hasn't got an ion, and next to impossible to find one where no one has ever had an ion they are great starter markers.

However i do not agree with what you said afterwards, estabalished companies might disappear, but in this climate i very much doubt there will be any new companies able to compete with the more established ones. From my point of veiw, there cannot be less known companies making asmuch money as well known ones. Sure it is possible they make enough money to stay in buisness and maybe grow a little but you wont see any great expansion going on.

Robbo can you please explain what you mean? i dont quite understand why it would change when you look deeper into it. Not saying its wrong, i have no true knowledge of markets and this is just what i would expect to happen...