Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

dry firing in the players' tent

crazzzy

Oct 18, 2002
close, very close
Visit site
Hold it one second!!!

I think you are going in the opposite direction in one part of the new ruling. Why would you have a rule that says that the ref should give the signal for mask on and sock off? I simply can not understand why on earth you should allow players and refs to walk around with masks off in the first place!!!

I´ve been to the states many times, and I have seen this problem on many occasions, with refs and players walking around with their masks OFF on the field between games, risking their eyes as markers have not been bagged. I have always been gutted by this, as it has always been against the rules, and nobody have cared about it. A few years back nobody was doing this in Europe, but as the rules committee have noticed, people have started to slip away from this rule. The committee are now rightfully trying to fix this problem, but in my eyes in the wrong way. We have the netted box for the refs, make that the ONLY place for them to take their goggles off. I fully support the rule about the sock having to be on, but to let people take their masks off is going in the wrong direction I believe. The safest way after all is to let people keep their masks on at all times, so why change this?

shwoomie

Trivoga Baby!
Feb 26, 2003
Finland
www.trivoga.com
I´ve been to the states many times, and I have seen this problem on many occasions, with refs and players walking around with their masks OFF on the field between games, risking their eyes as markers have not been bagged. I have always been gutted by this, as it has always been against the rules, and nobody have cared about it. A few years back nobody was doing this in Europe, but as the rules committee have noticed, people have started to slip away from this rule. The committee are now rightfully trying to fix this problem, but in my eyes in the wrong way. We have the netted box for the refs, make that the ONLY place for them to take their goggles off. I fully support the rule about the sock having to be on, but to let people take their masks off is going in the wrong direction I believe. The safest way after all is to let people keep their masks on at all times, so why change this?
wearing your mask all day in the field while reffing isnt xactly the most pleasant thing to do...and yes the refs have the little netted box but some refs dont go there all day so thats why the rule that refs give the signal to bag your marker and then you can remove your mask is a good idea!

the field should be as safe anywhere if players bag their markers and only when the refs give the signal to bag/unbag you can put yer marker on/off and bag/unbag it!

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Hold it one second!!!

Originally posted by crazzzy
I think you are going in the opposite direction in one part of the new ruling. Why would you have a rule that says that the ref should give the signal for mask on and sock off? I simply can not understand why on earth you should allow players and refs to walk around with masks off in the first place!!!

Here's the deal: no matter what we do, netted refs tent or whatever, refs are gonna take their masks off between games on the field. What I'm saying is that we issue a new ordinance: players ALWAYS enter the field with barrel bags on. With eveyone's marker bagged then it's safe to have masks off. Then the field ultimate announces masks on, makes sure everyone has masks on, and then announces bags off. Strict compliance will be enforced with penalties. Very simple. A new habit is formed. People keep their markers bagged except when playing, chronoing, cleaning or at a goggles-on shooting range.

We did this with perfect results on our field at Huntington Beach. Sure we had to nag a few times to ensure compliance. We also did it that way at two smaller tournaments where I was ultimate with not the slightest problem. Everyone agreed that it was the safest and smoothest way to handle it.

Steve

Jud

thinking of coming Back
Oct 7, 2002
Somanc
aol.com
Rules

Well i think the rules and point system & penalties, should be displayed at every torny event? but they are not WHY ?

Most ballers enter the field barrel bungs off , there should be signs at the entrance to the field saying bungs must be in , untill the marshalls give the ok , there is plenty of signs about goggles when you cross the safe area netting.

That way the marshalls dont sweat there heads off and get that goggle break / drink /fag , chat , etc.

99.9% of ballers do appreciate the saftey factor . and would abide by the rule if displayed, Its all about awareness.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
At Huntington Beach and at the other tournaments the chrono refs were the gatekeepers. They told everyone to keep their bags on. Also this new system should be announced VERY CLEARLY at the refs' and captains' meetings along with warnings about penalties. Again we just have to create a new, safe order along with new habits.

Steve

crazzzy

Oct 18, 2002
close, very close
Visit site
Well, I salute you for trying! If you guys have already tried it and it worked, then why not!? I´m just worried that people will feck up with the barrelbag and all of a sudden we have unbagged markers mixed with unmasked refs/players. Especially by the end of the day when the refs are getting tired and might miss a player unbagged who was also tired and happened not to bag his barrel... But if it always work perfectly then why not!

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by crazzzy
Well, I salute you for trying! If you guys have already tried it and it worked, then why not!? I´m just worried that people will feck up with the barrelbag and all of a sudden we have unbagged markers mixed with unmasked refs/players. Especially by the end of the day when the refs are getting tired and might miss a player unbagged who was also tired and happened not to bag his barrel... But if it always work perfectly then why not!
Let's give it a try at Bitburg (in my personal opinion) and see if it isn't a whole lot safer situation. If it doesn't work for some reason then we'll have to enforce goggle-on while on-field 100% of the time. That means penalties applied to judges.

I think what we're suggesting is a much smoother, safer system. We'll just have to hand out some penalties until everyone complies by habit.

An additional benefit of what I'm suggesting is less shooting of bunkers and netting between games.
.:p

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by Wadidiz
Let's give it a try at Bitburg (in my personal opinion) and see if it isn't a whole lot safer situation. If it doesn't work for some reason then we'll have to enforce goggle-on while on-field 100% of the time. That means penalties applied to judges.
Whilst I appreciate the need for marshals to have a break and take their masks off maybe we need to look at this in a stricter sense to them as well as to the players.

My main concern would be if say my field finished its game in 2 minutes, we clear the players off and then remove our masks, (our field is clear and safe), the fields around us are still live and there's plenty of examples where balls have gone through netting or clipped bunkers and gone flying. It's an obvious risk that the marshalls would be taking

Personally I agree with the second part of your statement Steve, I think masks are on unless you're in a guaranteed safe area, (the team/spectator areas or the marshalling huts for example) whether you're a player or a marshall, and surely for marshalls the only guarenteed time a field is safe is when there are no games on or around it and the chrony range is completely covered/safe or empty.

I know it's hard work to wear a mask all day, but then when I worked in manufacturing I had to spend 12 hrs working in the heat with full protective gear, hardhat, dustmasks earplugs and safety goggles because the law said I had to. I did a 6 hour shift in a metal box the size of a average garden shed in a respirator FFS, it's part of what you sign up for innit. Like a lot of things it's about allowing people to get away with things.

Taking your mask off between games is allowed because it's never been stomped on, I thinnk we should stomp on it now before there's an accident, I've seen enough pictures in mags and scenes on vids of US players/marshalls wandering around on fields with goggles off and unbagged markers and it's scary stuff.

Maybe if we're talking safety as an absolute we cut NO corners, we bag markers and wear goggles when on field and schedules are adjusted to let marshalls take a break. Marshalls should only remove their masks when in appropriate areas and if they don't follow this they're docked marshalling points, (or pay), for each infraction.

Toughen up on both sides and remove all possible risks of an accident, which is surely everyones aim.

Oh and Steve I do applaud you looking into safety. I especially applaud you for listening to peoples points of view here and letting us get involved. Excuse me being what seems to be picky, but I'm trying to wear two hats and want rules to be clear and correct so they can be rigidly and consistently enforced.

Perhaps this could be like the trigger bounce thread and we'll get a really good resolution, where are the heavy hitters when you want them? ;)