Planet Eclipse Manic Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Everyone loves rotors but do I need one?

Discussion in 'Hoppers' started by r3venant, Mar 21, 2014.

1. r3venant New Member

r3venant
    Message Count:
    Hi,
    Looking to buy some paintball equipment (noob here) and people recommend the Rotor a lot, but do I really need one? I am prob going to buy a used Ego 10 and im looking for a hopper that would suit but not cost the earth. Any advice?
    Cheers

2. Tom Tom

Tom
    Message Count:
    No you don't need the rotor

The basic family tree of hoppers is:
    Gravity fed
    Gravity fed with anti jam tray
    Agitated
    Force fed

You will ideally want a force feed hopper - which is what the rotor is, but the majority of the current ranges of hoppers are force feeds
    My preference is the Halo Too

3. movingcanvass couldn't stay away!

movingcanvass
    Message Count:
    Any hopper that can keep up with your marker is good. The things price affect really are the size, weight, durability, and aesthetics of the loader. Youll find they all feed really well as its what they're designed to do

4. Kevin Winter Well-Known Member

Kevin Winter
    Message Count:
    I use a Rotor as my main hopper, and have several reloaders / halos in the cupboard and as backups.

A Halo or Reloader can be got for £20-30 and will feed a Ego with 10BPS reliably. The only reason I have for using the Rotor over the others is the simplicity of maintainence and the very long battery life. And I can get Rotor shells in cooler colours, which is obviously very important indeed...

5. RusRuss Member

RusRuss
    Message Count:
    Nope, you don't NEED a Rotor. There are many loaders out there that will load paint at a reasonable speed and for less money; and if you're capped on your BPS, what more do you need?

That being said, I have one. They're very strong, very reliable, a piece of piddle to take apart and the batteries seem to last forever.

As said above, it comes down to your budget, the shape and weight your after and all those kinds of things. Aesthetically they very nice and have a low profile.

Like I said, do you need one? No. Do I recommend one? Yes.

6. r3venant New Member

r3venant
    Message Count:
    The thing is I am a lazy person, look how long it took me to reply to this thread! I like the idea of low maintenance and easy to take apart. Is there any other cheaper loader that has that as well?

7. movingcanvass couldn't stay away!

movingcanvass
    Message Count:
  8. Tom Tom

Tom
    Message Count:
    The other thing is - how much maintenance does a hopper really need?
    Primarily it's cleaning off paint on the outside and changing the batteries.

Unless you get a paint break inside the hopper, I can hardly remember this happening to me and I was able to deal with it without the need to strip down.
    I have dismantled hoppers in the past so it would be easier to press a button and pull apart the shell, but it was not a hardship to unscrew some bolts and then put them back

beanbag83 likes this.
  9. Dusty Don't run, you'll only die tired....

Dusty
    Message Count:
    You can pick up an empire prophecy now for not much more than a halo sometimes. They've got quick clean shells too and I like mine for the higher capacity than most other loaders.

10. r3venant New Member

r3venant
    Message Count:
    Yeah, been looking at the prophecy's. Does anyone have an idea of what a Prophecy with a Z2 upgrade board would be like? Any good?