Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium Rules Interpretation ?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
An integral part of any game is the elimination of a player and his team mates being blissfully unaware.
To communicate with your team-mates, by screaming 'out' gives them information that they perhaps would otherwise be unaware and on that basis, I am with Magued.

We need to maintain aspects of this game that reward attacking plays and eliminations and not seek to allow dead players to effectively communicate their demise to their own team thereby maybe negating any advantage the other team had in eliminating him in isolation.

Nah, when you are eliminated, put yer hand in the air, there's no ambiguity with that action; allow players to shout 'out' in whatever language can be misinterpreted for many reasons, not least of which is the noisy clamour surrounding any game.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Unfortunately I've found that at many events, raising my hand in the air just results in having a few more welts as the opposition try to shoot it off the end of my arm! Actually getting out from my barricade can sometimes be an even more painful experience even with my arm raised, so I'd like to keep the option of having an additional signal to the opposition to slightly increase the chance of them knowing I've gone.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Liz
Unfortunately I've found that at many events, raising my hand in the air just results in having a few more welts as the opposition try to shoot it off the end of my arm! Actually getting out from my barricade can sometimes be an even more painful experience even with my arm raised, so I'd like to keep the option of having an additional signal to the opposition to slightly increase the chance of them knowing I've gone.

Liz, firstly, the fact that you did not shout 'out' and only raised your hand on those occasions doesn't necessarily mean you would have been shot any less had you managed to voice your elimination.

However, if we go with your proposal of giving yourself a 'slightly' increased chance of not being shot any more in being allowed to shout 'out' then I think we are compromising a competitive aspect of the game, and for the sake of what?

A 'slightly' increased chance?

I would venture than any player stoopid enough to shoot you with your hands in the air is already self-evidently stupid enough
to ignore any audible signals.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
It sounds to me to be really more a matter of what you happen to be used to. As Steve suggested the US contingent of PB has always--far back as I can remember--had the option to announce their elimination and I daresay it hasn't seemed to have had any adverse competitive impact. ;) In practice while you may be informed a player is gone who you wouldn't have seen it doesn't mean you know how or where the elimination came from. Further some teams always use the option, others don't and some mix it up. I don't think it's a big deal really.
Nor do I think it's much help in avoiding a little bonus action. That's more or less a 50/50 call of players just reacting to those who do it with a little friendly malice.

jotajotaZ

Feb 7, 2003
Spain
www.ninatoz.org
Originally posted by Robbo
I would venture than any player stoopid enough to shoot you with your hands in the air is already self-evidently stupid enough
to ignore any audible signals.
And should be punished for bonus balling. Take a look at this:

scary, isn't it? they did the same to two guys in that game. No sanctions were carried until the bonus balled guys lost their temper and got severely one-4-oned for bitching. But then again, we have said it all about Portugal reffing.

Dannefaerd

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2001
New Zealand
www.whatever.net.nz
Just checked through the NPPL rules - and can't spot this one there ... were they going to use this the Millennium rules (albeit under a different name?)

I suppose the question I am asking is - while this is in Millennium rules at the moment (and for what appear valid reasons listening to the arguments of Robbo and Magued) - what consistancy is there at the moment in the application of the rule on Millennium fields/competition?

Martin

Jamie B

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
The jungle
blah blah blah

I dont usualy even put my hand up, just walk off. Yeh a lot of the time you get hit walking off, and yeh some times it hurts, but if they're shooting at me they aint shooting at the rest of my team.
Wussies;) :p

kidzero

ladies love kewl kid
i feel this goes to much for the player. i think the most important thing is that the marshalls call a player out very loud and clearly AND ( it is important, see?:D ) make the handsign. when i think of it, often i wasnt sure if a marshall really had called a player out, so i gave the guy one or two more.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Whilst I don't like the idea of people being bonus-balled, I think to sacrifice an important potantial advanatge for the sake maybe of a few extra balls now and then, would be a grave mistake, after all, we are all men ain't we, and this is paintball not wussyball :)

<~~~~~getting ready to duck from Liz :D

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Robbo
Whilst I don't like the idea of people being bonus-balled, I think to sacrifice an important potantial advanatge for the sake maybe of a few extra balls now and then, would be a grave mistake, after all, we are all men ain't we, and this is paintball not wussyball :)

<~~~~~getting ready to duck from Liz :D
I don't have any problem with taking the hits Pete, as anyone who watched the Chicks against Redz at Campaign last year will remember (d@mn bouncing paint - 20 shots up each arm before one broke!), but I just don't like taking extras when I'm desparately trying to leave the field, or even get out of my bunker to leave.
Maybe I'm just too honest a player for modern paintball, I hadn't particularly thought of the advantage factor of calling myself out rather than just walking.