Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium X-Ball - Player input WANTED!!!!

Not to beat the whole topic to death - god knows it's being done in other threads - but it would be interesting to hear peoples opinions on the new format (Nations Cup style) in regards to certain points.

With the new adoption of National teams - the idea is that there will not be more than 3 players allowed from any one team Millennium pro team to play for the X-Ball team. Along with a "small" added cost for the "right" to play Nations Cup X-Ball.

1.) Do people actually think that this will make us competitive??
2.) Who thinks that a team with a "potentially" changing roster (who knows if the same players will make all the events) is a good idea??
3.) Does anyone NOT-think that this will end up in the 4 teams going to Orlando having their asses handed to them - especially when they have to play against X-Ball teams that have played it seriously??
4.) Are there any serious players who would play X-Ball and run the risk of injuring themselves and thereby taking themselves out of the semis or finals??
5.) Are there any serious players who would want to stick around until "god-knows-when" then night before the semis just to play an X-Ball game, when players from the opposing teams will be back in the hotel resting for the next day??

and lastly....

6.) Is there anyone in their right mind who pay for this "Honour"??

Is it just me or does all of this sound a little f@cked up?

Who thinks that the Millennium should drop the whole idea and worry about running normal tournaments instead of trying to do things half-assed?

Polite responses only please :)

goose

egiii

For the small countries getting players from 4 different teams will the big question.

I think the only countries who actually have 4 teams always in the millennium tournaments are Germany, France, UK and perhaps Sweden.

I personally think that the captain of the X-ball team (if it will ever happen) should be give free hands to choose who ever to the team with the correct passport...

-- EGi / Team Cyclone
egi@iki.fi

Jaime Menino

Jun 19, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
1.)--- I think it will give the teams another chances and who knows what might happen instead of the "usual" results.
2.)...
3.)--- I agree with you, but maybe there can be some surprises.
4.)--- The same happens "normal" nations cup.
5.)--- I Believe some will, has it happened in the past in "normal" nations cup.
6.)...

It seems millennium folks are trying not to turn their backs to XBALL.
Because let´s face it, it is the big talk, but will it be the big walk?
Everyone are crossing their fingers (incl. me)... But only time will tell if NXL will have NBA/NFL kind of sucess.

my 2 cents

Cheers
Jaime

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Mix 7 with X...

Suggestion:

Run the prelims as usual, skip the semi-finals and go to 5-player, double-elimination X-ball for the finals for the top 8 teams in each division (it doesn't have to be full-blown with standard scoreboard et.al but as close to the concept as economically feasible). That way you get the best of all worlds: World Standard 7-player and then a chance for the finalists to play serious X-ball. That’s the main thing we’re after isn’t it: to get to play and get practiced up for some serious X-balling with the Americans? The series winners could then play the ”world” X-ball finals after the last Millennium. Whadda ya think?

Steve

Bigdog

Aug 3, 2001
Docklands
Visit site
Mix 7 with X...

Originally posted by Wadidiz
Suggestion:

Run the prelims as usual, skip the semi-finals and go to 5-player, double-elimination X-ball for the finals for the top 8 teams in each division (it doesn't have to be full-blown with standard scoreboard et.al but as close to the concept as economically feasible). That way you get the best of all worlds: World Standard 7-player and then a chance for the finalists to play serious X-ball. That’s the main thing we’re after isn’t it: to get to play and get practiced up for some serious X-balling with the Americans? The series winners could then play the ”world” X-ball finals after the last Millennium. Whadda ya think?

Steve
Dunno, that may seem a bit like trying on too many things, and never getting too good at any of them.
Why would the finalists want to change format?

I think that keeping xball separate is better, those teams (Nexus, Russians, etc) that want to go balls to the wall & have the financial backing to be serious about it, let them have it, & good luck to them. Maybe that way the definition of 'pro' in this sport may actually become worth something.
Either way, as long as I still get to turn up & play good games against other guys from all over, I'm ok with it. It just doesn't feel like it'll make that much of an impact when you get right down to it.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
The positive side of the coin to all the different leagues and formats is that there is variety, and variety is the spice of life. I think X-ball is exciting but I think I would get bored with it, both as a player and spectator. What's wrong with having some variety rolled into the same tournament, and I don't mean two parallel tournaments at the same event but two formats rolled into the same? The teams that get into the finals would only need a couple of extra people to make X-ball feasible.

With this way teams wouldn't be competing against themselves for want of energy and time.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to defend this idea just because I suggested it. But I do think this may be a possibility to keep Millennium attractive and to give Euros a good healthy dose of X-ball to keep it alive for us as a possibility. It may not save the day as far as keeping RL but might attract more Euros and Americans to Millenniums.

It, of course, needs to be thought through.

(And Chris, as far as I'm concerned you're welcome here:) )

Steve

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
I think the idea of having a team try and play two different formats in one competition will ruin both formats.

What's the point of doing that other than a half hearted attempt to keep both formats?

I don't think it's the right way to go at all.

Either have a seperate series of events for X-ball at the same time as a Millennium with teams competing in one or the other (not both). Or don't do it.

The Nations cup of X-ball will be an interesting side show but will not allow us to compete against the yanks.

It may keep enough interest alive in X-ball though for us to step into it fully in a years time. Although at that point we may get our arses kicked, we would have at least been getting more familiar with the concept etc. and had chance to market it to the media, players etc. and be able to look at what happened in the more 'mature' paintball market of America.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
You may be right, Manike, but PSP/NPPL have played two different formats for years, with a 5-player and 10-player tournament rolled into one (albeit they play the same format throughout each separate event, although once in the semis it is almost like a separate event because you only play your own class). Two formats at the same tournament was one very attractive feature to me because it offered variety--because 5-player and 10-player are so dissimilar.

And I don't think two different "phases" of a tournament means at all doing both half-heartedly. How do you get that?

The tourney format would be the same for all, just more challenging because of the variety.

No, I must say I don't buy your reasoning. I think it is just thinking within the same square (and I mean no disrespect). It's already hard enough for many teams to make most of the 6 Mill events. I still think this would add to the attractiveness and put X-ball within reach of Euros.

Steve

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
Nations cup,

I think the Captain of the highest ranking team in that particular country should have free reign to choose from whom ever he wants with no restrictions on numbers from a single team. The only condition is that they are of that nationality.

He has the best idea of that country's players and teams and knows who normaly makes all the millennium tournies.

Nations Cup is a poor second to X-Ball proper but may well produce a much bigger and more loyal crowd.

I don't think that running it after a days tourny play is a problem for players fitness, if it is then the Captain should of chosen more wisely.