Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Nike may enter paintball (Rumor)

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
The knock on ramifications could be brilliant, especially as I imagine Adidas, PUMA, Reebok ect wouldn't want to loose this market to Nike and would also enter it.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
I've read about this too. I'd imagine that Nike's PR could do wonders for paintball, not to mention the technology and sponsership deals they could (potentially) offer.

But it is just a rumour, I can see them just passing us by and leaving us to it. They're not going to jump on something that isn't a big money earner.

The knock on ramifications could be brilliant, especially as I imagine Adidas, PUMA, Reebok ect wouldn't want to loose this market to Nike and would also enter it.
And what about the littler companies trying to enter new products? Do you reckon they'd struggle if the big organisations started bashing skulls in the paintball world?

ses_paintball

Jan 13, 2009
Basildon Essex
it depends how nike would approach it, if they came in full guns blazing offering absolutely everything at cheap prices whilst maintaing quality ( which nike are capable of doing) they would crush everyone. Or they could come in and offer boots and clothing and build it up, they'd have to talk to other companies as if they weren't careful they would crush everyone.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
it depends how nike would approach it, if they came in full guns blazing offering absolutely everything at cheap prices whilst maintaing quality ( which nike are capable of doing) they would crush everyone. Or they could come in and offer boots and clothing and build it up, they'd have to talk to other companies as if they weren't careful they would crush everyone.
I doubt the big hitters of paintball would go anywhere. Nike may hold alot of power outside the paintball world, but the paintball companies already have set trends and have a wide base of brand loyalty. Some people swear by some brands, and always will do. A certain percentage of the market would head for Nike, but I seriously doubt they'd force companies like Dye under, especially when their main moneymaker are hard products like Hoppers, masks and markers.

ses_paintball

Jan 13, 2009
Basildon Essex
yeah Dye PE Smartparts ect would hold out but small companies that make exclusive markers or limited products could get pushed out by Nikes cheaper alternatives and Nike are able to produce top stuff and cheap prices.

I've read about this too. I'd imagine that Nike's PR could do wonders for paintball, not to mention the technology and sponsership deals they could (potentially) offer.

But it is just a rumour, I can see them just passing us by and leaving us to it. They're not going to jump on something that isn't a big money earner.
Yeah definately.
But I imagine its not a big effort for them to tweak their soft goods production line for paintball.

And what about the littler companies trying to enter new products? Do you reckon they'd struggle if the big organisations started bashing skulls in the paintball world?
I dont think Nike would be bringing out markers.

The current top paintball marker producers got where they are by being around a very long time and gradually improving products before trying to make a marker themselves.
Others, like AKA or Macdev had a history in hydraulics/pneumatics.

My point being, Nike dont have the expertees to cost effectively design a marker.
If they reverse engineer someone elses, they dont have the expertees to support customers (compared to the company they copy).
Plus they lose alot of kudos in the industry.

Id love to see nike soft goods but I dont think the likes of planet or dye need to worry about a nike marker.
Even a mask would be pushing it initially.

SamFlyZ

Geo 2.1 | 2K5 Alias
Mar 27, 2009
Exmouth, Devon
Another thing. If nike enter paintball. They will obviously start selling to alot more shops, making paintball alot bigger.

To be honest, what would you perfer?

500% Increase of players?
OR
Little companies that no-one really knows about?

I really cant decide on that...