The Home Of European Paintball

No Nexus in Tampa?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
What? guns that fire shot????????

Duh! Obviously. You must be the bright one.

But I thought they were going to play all NPPL events... I may be mistaken though and they are just missing a few of them because of time away from work and Euro schedules. etc.

And then Pete made a post a while back about Sergei telling him you can only train to be the best for one discipline... which made me think.

And I was wondering what them being missing from Tampa might lead us to consider...

Or I might be thinking too much into it. :D

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Yo Mofos :)

Not that I been spending far too much time Stateside or anything or that all the Nexoids now refer to each other as 'duuuuuuude' or 'bro'.........but....

We had to commit to play the 4 EXLs and we also had to make provision for Orlando XBall final (if we qualify in the top 4).
We do this for two reasons, firstly and most importantly, it gives Nexus an XBall franchise option at the end of the year and with TV having been promised for start 2005 season, it was thought the considerable time and money investment we had to do was worth it.
The top four positioning for this year then qualified those teams for a Stateside tournament against the top four NXL teams and was going to be televised as the first production by Dick Clark.
The people Stateside are now unable to confirm this is the case and with the prospect of some teams flying all that way and coming home after one game, this carrot has lost some of its attraction.
I could handle all this if the thing was gonna be on the box as told to me but this isn't now the case.

On top of that, we had to play enough NPPLs and or NPPL ranking tourneys in Europe to qualify for the top 17 NPPL pro status.
At the end of this year, the NPPL guys are closing down the opportunities for pro teams to be eligible for their pro bracket and with their TV deals looking more and more substantial, it is something that any aspiring, serious pro team has to aim for.
This meant we had to play a minimum of three Stateside NPPLs and at least two European ranking tourneys to qualify.

This is a total of 10 frikkin tournaments costing thousands for each one and on top of that, we gotta train and supposedly have home lives.
Bottom line is now; top four positioning means little, the main goal of qualifying for a XBall franchise will still be there come end of season even if you don't get in top four.
There is no hard and fast statement forthcoming from anywhere regarding the fate of Euro teams and what they will be aiming towards.
I mean, why should I direct tens of thousands of pounds of team’s resources (training XBall and playing of XBall tourneys) if there is no TV at the end of it, it makes no sense to me.
I can get bragging rights playing 7-Man if that's what I want for a lot less expenditure.

For Nexus at least, (I’m sure others in the EXL will or should feel the same) it feels as though this season's goals have been diminished and left us out of pocket and out of Xball goals.
The NPPL looms large on most top Euro team's agenda right now, how they negotiate this requirement remains to be seen.
I been talking to Laurent and Sergey and I think we will all tread water for the time being but from my own personal point of view, I don't really need to see many more negative signs before I have a serious re-think about what to do and where to direct team's resources.

XBall is without doubt the most exciting format to play and more importantly spectate, I do believe it is the future for us (or something very much like it).
Pure Promotions (NPPL) leads the way in promoting our sport to the masses, this situation cries out for reconciliation but I doubt this will happen unless some sacrificial lambs are led to the altar but in the meantime, us Euros are gonna blow some serious dosh in trying to keep one foot in each camp/.
As team owner and coach, I would much prefer one focal point for the team :(

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Thanks for the explanation Pete. Paintball is truely complicated right now. :confused:

What ever happens I still enjoy seeing Brit and Euro teams coming over here to play.

It can't be easy keeping all your irons in the fire, and I appreciate how insanely expensive that can end up being for a team. It's also a huge drag on resources and holiday time etc.

I would love to see a reconciliation also. I've been pushing for that for the last year... I'm not holding my breath though. :(

Grendel-Khan

I Love The Fun Police
It seems to me that the NXL is facing the same problems that a lot of the dot com boomers ran into. THey have a premise with almost unlimited potential and a very clear agenda of where they will take this premise. Unfortunately, they are trying to push way to fast without the proper backing. They have been selling the promise of a financial return sometime in the future, rather than an actual substantive reward. IN essence their selling a dream, a promise, a vison for a better tomorrow. And lots of people
have bought into their vision, and once the wheels start to slow down all these investors start to get nervous. Yes, the TV deal might go through, but how long can they dangle this "carrott" before the monetary burdens begin to outweigh the returns? The whole Dick Clark deal was hyped to the point of insanity, and I think we all started to believe it after awhile. What happens if it doesn't go through? Hollywood types are notoriously finicky, and the TV deal could be dead faster than any one realizes. That would leave a lot of teams and sponsers out in the cold. It seems like the NXL, like a lot of internet companies, are placing the future of their organization on one concurrent event, i.e. TV coverage. The big question now is how do they move forward and how many ballers are willing to follow them?