Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Returning To TV?

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
do you think the tv viewer would want to watch a supair game or a scenario game??
The scenario game would be more accessible and understandable to the non-initiated. Easier to film / produce. And result in less 12 year old pre-madonna, gaylord whingy behaviour (unless they got footage of Jeremy Salm in the tree line of course, but that comes arond once a decade).

It could be like Saving Private Ryan, without the death or the battle at the end of Monty Python's the Holy Grail (I think Paintball needs more rabbits).

Orion3

Jul 12, 2009
The scenario game would be more accessible and understandable to the non-initiated. Easier to film / produce. And result in less 12 year old pre-madonna, gaylord whingy behaviour (unless they got footage of Jeremy Salm in the tree line of course, but that comes arond once a decade).

It could be like Saving Private Ryan, without the death or the battle at the end of Monty Python's the Holy Grail (I think Paintball needs more rabbits).
Can see that so..... time for provocation!!

Would filming scenarios perpetuate the picture in peoples heads that paintball is all about 'wanna be' Rambos?
Would it make the claim to paintball being a sport even less credible?
Are either of the above points a concern? or should they be?

CraigofScotland

Naked fun time
Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Would filming scenarios perpetuate the picture in peoples heads that paintball is all about 'wanna be' Rambos?

Depends on your definition of a scenario / scenario team . . scenarios got a huge movement towards tourny style marker and gear. We run macdevs and dont go near camo, cant say we're not a sterotypical scenario team. No one would ever think we are trying to be rambos or military esque.

I would think people relate more to it as when these random people play paintball for their birthday its what they view. They may watch because its what they have done themselves. Its about getting them involved in the sport, then progressing to whatever flavour they require. Let them decide, but get them through the door first.

Dont forget, scenario events dont have to be nazis vs commies. I would agree with you we wouldnt want a rambo type image but ive not seen that in a long time. Next super 6 is about charlie and the chocolate factory! The tickets sales even have a couples ticket and women only missions. Family friendly fun.

I personally think woodsball league type games may go down best (scenario events are too big to put on TV, unless you have alot of cameras (which you wont) you wouldnt have a clue).

Put competition in an enviroment people can relate too. Then maybe we can get the 2am jobless folk watching us after the dwarf tossing.

dodge-gnome

Save a rock, throw an Ion
Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire

But isn't this exactly what they did with Mission X and all those other shows? some over the top scenario and some awesome catchphrases! :p

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
"Emulsified!"

Yeah, pretty much. It was very militaristic/spec ops style scenarios plus some flag capture type stuff.

It's the kind of stuff people think when they hear "paintball". running around woods shooting things. but a slight shift in the environment.
The scenarios can be mission based, but don't need to be "Military" in theme.

I'm not sure tourney ball will ever have an audience appeal beyond tourney ball.

I'm also not entirely sure scenario'd paintball would ever really have an audience beyond the players. Unless it goes down the "gameshow" route again.
Certainly a massive big game like the estimated 1600 at warped or even the 350+ at super 6 last weekend is for all intends and purposes unfilmable in a televised format. too many people doing too many different things.

It needs to be back to small scale skirmishes. 5-10 man teams. It needs to be a small scale environment. It needs to be followable. It needs movement and drama and that needs a low rate of fire. It's not going to be enjoyable for someone to watch players sitting at the back of the field laning. They'd want dynamics and thrills and "can he make it?" moments.

Whatever way it went though, i hardly think it'll get a mainstream outing.

Jun 11, 2008
So so far we have midgets shooting tracer balls with sparking barrels and playing sci-fi scenario games (notice I've avoided the easy Willy wonka comparison)

Talfryn

The Attritionist
May 14, 2010
West Sussex
Yeah but then surely most people would rather watch actual films like Saving Private Ryan where people supposedly die than watch people running around with fake guns pretending to die as such. I'm not diss'ing the woods side of things but given the choice between watching 'Saving Private Ryan' and something along the lines of 'Saving Private Ryan where people are using paintball guns' I think we would all probably watch the more serious, non-paintbally version.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm not sure tourney ball will ever have an audience appeal beyond tourney ball.

Certainly a massive big game like the estimated 1600 at warped or even the 350+ at super 6 last weekend is for all intends and purposes unfilmable in a televised format. too many people doing too many different things.

. It needs movement and drama and that needs a low rate of fire. It's not going to be enjoyable for someone to watch players sitting at the back of the field laning.
The aspect of filming large scale games on the contrary would personally come across as more entertaining to watch because one part of a game zone could be filmed where most of the action is going down, and change in real time to what is going on elsewhere for a couple of minutes at a time. i'm a diehard supair player but even this would be enjoyable to watch (in my opinion) for non ballers

the problem with supair not being watchable is the high rates of fire which results in deadlocks of laning players exactly like you said. if we fixed this (brings flashbacks of many discussions which Robbo covers very well) to the point where we get this movement, in supair or woods, you have a much more watchable game.

Yeah but then surely most people would rather watch actual films like Saving Private Ryan where people supposedly die than watch people running around with fake guns pretending to die as such..
to give you another similie wouldn't you say this is the difference between watching a premier league match every night of the week and watching the film 'GOAL'?

in the same way with paintball you cannot compare fictional films to the real sport since both can be about the same thing but they are also worlds apart. while all TV comes down to wanting to be entertained if different TV programmes/films could not co-exist because they happen to be about the same subject i dont think much TV would exist at all.