Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Returning To TV?

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Dwarf tossing would probably be on after midnight, right after girls who like girls.

Orion3

Jul 12, 2009
No it can't. What Derder does looks good to US. Johnny Avarage wouldn't give a toss about it. Your non playing friends only say they think the videos you keep boring them with look awesome to appease you. Sorry, but that is the cold, hard truth.
Understand your point, but disagree.

Some of the extreme skiing vids look great; I like skiing but have plenty of friends that don't/have never tried. Neither they nor I are ever likely to jump down a near vertical slope...but it still looks great.

Some of them have watched clips of the Derder and Eclipse vids - some say "great" some say "no f**king chance". Sure, possible that some may be saying it to please me, but I've known most of them for longer than many of the forum members have been alive and if they think something is s**t they say so. One even gave it a go after watching, only plays in the woods to be fair, but started as a direct result of Derder.

Buddha - I respect your view, but I don't believe it to be it to be the case. If paintball is edited well, I wouldn't expect to see "watch skinny nerds throw a hissy fit over a call" or "pretend to be gangsta for a weekend". I would expect to see an exciting sport that is perhaps a bit/lot aspirational.

Have to agree to disagree.

And as for Dwarf throwing....was great at University. Personal favourite though was Dwarf 10-pin bowling; pushing them on a skateboard down a slope into pins - So wrong but so funny.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Understand your point, but disagree.

Some of the extreme skiing vids look great; I like skiing but have plenty of friends that don't/have never tried. Neither they nor I are ever likely to jump down a near vertical slope...but it still looks great.

Some of them have watched clips of the Derder and Eclipse vids - some say "great" some say "no f**king chance". Sure, possible that some may be saying it to please me, but I've known most of them for longer than many of the forum members have been alive and if they think something is s**t they say so. One even gave it a go after watching, only plays in the woods to be fair, but started as a direct result of Derder.

Buddha - I respect your view, but I don't believe it to be it to be the case. If paintball is edited well, I wouldn't expect to see "watch skinny nerds throw a hissy fit over a call" or "pretend to be gangsta for a weekend". I would expect to see an exciting sport that is perhaps a bit/lot aspirational.

Have to agree to disagree.

And as for Dwarf throwing....was great at University. Personal favourite though was Dwarf 10-pin bowling; pushing them on a skateboard down a slope into pins - So wrong but so funny.
Derder is one thing mate. Its videos of just good parts.

Sit your mate down to watch a 7 man NPPL match that goes the full 7 minutes, and tell me again he was loving it.

Its really boring to watch! And only slightly less boring if you are a paintballer.

Orion3

Jul 12, 2009
;o)
Editing!! a full 7 min match would probably last no more than 2 mins.

Agree - live paintball won't work and agree that a full match is impractical (and boring)...highlights - 2 mins on match of the day or...90 mins of yesterdays match???

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
;o)
Editing!! a full 7 min match would probably last no more than 2 mins.

Agree - live paintball won't work and agree that a full match is impractical (and boring)...highlights - 2 mins on match of the day or...90 mins of yesterdays match???
You forget that all these other sports you are referring to have focal points. A ball, the ski-er, in paintball, there are guys shooting guns, a little movement, and suddenly someone has done something.

Orion3

Jul 12, 2009
I DO see your point - but....

Guy dives into the snake, engages (30 secs), moves up, engages (1 min) kill, moves up..gets shot.

Edits - Guys dives into snake, engages (3 secs) moves up, Engages (5 secs) - kill, gets shot (slow mo).

Careful/clever editing can completely change the viewing experience - so much so, that if done poorly it can bare little resemblence to reality...but it may make the subject more watchable.

Here's a thought - a chess match....could there be anything more boring to watch?
Lasts xhours. Condensed into 20 secs - Opening move, shots of the players face/expressions/stress...final move. Still not going to be exciting - but would be much more watchable than the real thing.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
I DO see your point - but....

Guy dives into the snake, engages (30 secs), moves up, engages (1 min) kill, moves up..gets shot.

Edits - Guys dives into snake, engages (3 secs) moves up, Engages (5 secs) - kill, gets shot (slow mo).

Careful/clever editing can completely change the viewing experience - so much so, that if done poorly it can bare little resemblence to reality...but it may make the subject more watchable.

Here's a thought - a chess match....could there be anything more boring to watch?
Lasts xhours. Condensed into 20 secs - Opening move, shots of the players face/expressions/stress...final move. Still not going to be exciting - but would be much more watchable than the real thing.
Yes, and Im sure as chess isnt on TV, someone somewhere said "it just doesnt make good TV!" and there chess sat, TV less.

Paintball makes slightly better TV, but editing it so that its only the best parts would make it even more confusing for a non paintballer. Whats going on? People are getting shot every second! 30 guys just dived into the long barricade, there's alot of people in there! Whats happening? How do you score?

Its admirable though that your head thinks like this!

On a side note, played the PA League the year that Sky sports filmed every leg. We beat all the good teams, every month, and lost to some teams at the bottom of the division and came 4th every round. Not too bad you might think? Well so good that we were the only team to not even get a mention in all 7 Sky Sports episodes. None of our games were shown, not even a glimpse of one of our players in the credits. Not even a sniff of one of us standing watching a game. Not a sausage!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Orion, I'm not sure if you are aware of any of the history relating to paintball on TV but let me give you a rather quick but relevant lesson that may help you in some way ... about 8 years ago or so, there were about 3 networks hovering around the televising of paintball on TV .... some were more advanced than others in terms of production and ideas but their time-lines all ended up being played out to their respective end ...

We even had the Gardner brothers sticking their hands into their back pockets and investing an alleged 1 big fat million dollars into an all-singing all-dancing production that was initiated by the extremely famous Dick Clark, an extremely successful US TV producer who was not used to failure; in fact his stable of new productions was impressive for their success rate ... Dick Clark and the Gardners failed to come up with a presentation that made it .. Dick Clark gave up as did the Gardners ..
Pure Promotions aka Ged Green and the WDP guys invested heavily in various productions with more than one company and associated network but once again ... it failed.

Every single US initiative failed .. it was tried from every angle, every plot line and every format ... but paintball wasn't flying ... in fact, it flew like a fat pig.
Over here in Europe, we may not have had the degree of investment but we did have several intitiatives some of which I've been involved with but once again failure was the common outcome.
As to why they failed?
They all failed for the same reason .... we cannot effectively film our sport .. it has been tried and tried and tried again ... it just does not work !!!!
If I had to guess, and it would be an educated guess, as to how much has been pumped into the quest for getting our sport onto TV then I would think about 5 million dollars ain't gonna be too far off ... and that's everybody.
If you respond by saying it would take more than that to invest to give it a better chance then you better appreciate people ain't gonna invest that sort of money in industries that are on their bellies like we are ..... we have but one quarter of the turnover we did back then, it would be insane to plough any money into any TV initiative when we already know the previous success rate.

I have seen an awful lot of time and money invested by many a good man and company in to this failed belief only for people to come on these boards, starry eyed and full of youthful exuberance but not knowing what the hell they are talking about ... optimism in this case is fine but don't ever believe that it's justified ... it isn't, trust me.

Orion3

Jul 12, 2009
Youthful...Nope. Optimistic - always!
;o)

Interesting history lesson - I quit in the early 90's only to be dragged back by my eldest son a few years ago; so I missed all the fun.

Excellent discussion by-the-way.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Orion, given the choice mate, I'd much rather be optimistic but experience has knocked the cr@p outa me on that one ... maybe I'm too cynical now but once again my experience has nudged me over to being a cynic and I have arrived there by default rather than by design.

Reactions: Bolter