Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Positive Discrimination

rewind

Shiny!
Aug 28, 2008
Kent
Inspired by Devs thread, and the thoughts going on in there, I though I'd see what peoples thoughts are on this subject matter.
Is Positive Discrimination in play? and what are peoples feelings on it?

By being a mid-aged, white, straight, able bodied male, I and many others are within the boundaries of people that can quite easily be discriminated against without being able to play the discrimination card.
Gays can pull the homophobic card
Ethnic minorities can pull the race card
disabled people can pull the dissability card
females can pull the sexist card
and old and young can pull the agist card

is this fair/ right? are things swinging the opposite way now?

Discuss.

Paintball_Mad

Element
Apr 29, 2007
Dorset
You and many others like you, still have the best opportunities and normally the best paid jobs. The dominant group in society are 20-30 year old, white, males. If you look at local sport clubs nearly all of them cater for that group. How many clubs do you see specifically for people with disabilities? or ethnic minorities? Or over 60 clubs?

If you look at most sport teams at 'pub' level how many people do you see that would be considered in an ethnic minority? When ever I see my local football team play they are all in or around the dominant group. My local sport centre has very little to aid any minority groups, not that it effects me.

But to answer your question and be a bit more specific, I think that positive discrimination could be a good move. Britain is such a multi-cultural nation that it needs equality and stereotypes need to be broken by understanding and integration. The state in the UK isn't bad, but there are cases that warrant change. Thus, making positive discrimination a good possible solution.

Tim
p.s. thanks for the PE revision (Y)

Duncan Berry

London Tigers 2
May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Billy Connelly said its best "The white hetrosexual male is the last animal on the planet that you can abuse without fear"

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
it's everywhere - apply for any job and there is the "guaranteed interview scheme".

why? because they meet the job specification criteria does that mean they should be interviewed before someone else who meets the criteria - regardless of the personal statement?

the current crop of high court judges in scotland have been SPECIFICALLY chosen to cover all races/backgrounds - even though it means that some of those spaces are NOT filled by the most qualified/competent judges available.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
You and many others like you, still have the best opportunities and normally the best paid jobs. The dominant group in society are 20-30 year old, white, males. If you look at local sport clubs nearly all of them cater for that group. How many clubs do you see specifically for people with disabilities? or ethnic minorities? Or over 60 clubs?

If you look at most sport teams at 'pub' level how many people do you see that would be considered in an ethnic minority? When ever I see my local football team play they are all in or around the dominant group. My local sport centre has very little to aid any minority groups, not that it effects me.

But to answer your question and be a bit more specific, I think that positive discrimination could be a good move. Britain is such a multi-cultural nation that it needs equality and stereotypes need to be broken by understanding and integration. The state in the UK isn't bad, but there are cases that warrant change. Thus, making positive discrimination a good possible solution.

Tim
p.s. thanks for the PE revision (Y)
Thus negating the whole point of evolution, giving the weaker and more needy a stronger footing and giving the naturally dominant alpha 'stereotypes' less of a chance to propagate and bring society further forward in it's never ending quest for improvement...,next we'll be punishing the successful and making sure the slothful lazy and otherwise leech-like members of society are catered for first..don't bother climbing out of the primordial ooze chaps ,these buggers will just send us back as soon as we achieve perception.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Thus negating the whole point of evolution, giving the weaker and more needy a stronger footing and giving the naturally dominant alpha 'stereotypes' less of a chance to propagate and bring society further forward in it's never ending quest for improvement...,next we'll be punishing the successful and making sure the slothful lazy and otherwise leech-like members of society are catered for first..don't bother climbing out of the primordial ooze chaps ,these buggers will just send us back as soon as we achieve perception.
Wait....so you're saying white heterosexual males are the master race? :confused: That sounds familiar for some reason. :rolleyes: