The Home Of European Paintball

Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by gunnerson
I have a question, well, more like a general maintenance tips kinda thing. What are some must Do's and must Don'ts of keeping my Co2 in top condition?

Well I gotta say Gunnerson, this question baffles me, CO2 is obvoiusly a gas that we sometimes use to provide a propellant for the markers.
It is stored in bottles and that's about it really, there ain't much I know of that you can do to maintain it other than to make sure the seals are ok round the storage bottles and to make sure you never store the bottles near a heating device.
Apart from that there's not that much u can do to sometihng that is under approx 700 pounds of pressure and stuck in a metal bottle.
I hope this has been of some help !!!
Robbo

gunnerson

Hooray for boobies!
Oh. Well I was reading this article on a different paintball page, and it talked about "trying not to get dry ice in the tank, this will make it blow up." It wasn't really clear what does that, or what to do to prevent it. That's why I asked. I wouldn't want my tank to blow up or something.:D

rockon_1

( .)( .)
Oct 15, 2001
indoors
Visit site
dry ice is co2 in solid form as its compressed it goes from gas-liquid-solid . in its ussuall paintball propellant form its liquid converted to gas when it enters the marker so i guess you could end up with dry ice in your tank if someone filled it to much . (im not sure though because i dont usae co2

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
I honestly wouldn't put much faith in anything you read on paintball.com. I don't think much of that site at all.

Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. A block of dry ice has a surface temperature of -109.3 degrees F (-78.5 degrees C). Dry ice also has the very nice feature of sublimation which means as it melts it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas rather than a liquid.

At normal pressures, carbon dioxide moves straight from solid to gas. Sometimes when you fire a gun shooting co2 you will see 'snow flakes' these are dry ice.

You see dry ice because this is liquid co2 from your tank at normal pressures (atmospheric). It is only at much higher pressures that you find liquid carbon dioxide. For example, a high pressure tank of carbon dioxide such as we use in paintball contains liquid carbon dioxide. The co2 in your tank is stored at approx 850psi and at this pressure the gas is constantly changing phase from liquid to gas. As you use up some of the gas in firing a shot, more of the liquid changes to gas to keep the pressure the same.

There is no problem in having liquid co2 in your tank. Indeed if you are to have a proper fill in your tank it must have liquid in it. There is no need to worry about getting 'dry ice' in your tank.

The only things to be careful about are overfilling, in which case the pressure can get to high and cause a rupture, and leaving the tank in the sun, in which case the pressure can get too high and cause a rupture... ;) (it should always blow the burst disk first though!)

Make you sure you weigh your tank carefully when filling it and keep your gun out of the sun whenever possible and you will be fine.

manike