The Home Of European Paintball

Sweetspotting is the key

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Here we go, sweetspotting.

The key to any successful breakout HAS to be sweetspotting. Agreed? Ok, so your point players need to be FAAAAST but if there aint any cover then they're only gonna run into a hailstorm of paint. We've been learning how to sweet and it's bloody hard to get right but when you do, you will dominate the game. I know we aint the most experienced but at least it's some advice, always better than none that's what I say.

Get your point players to sweet spot whilst sending you mid players into their primarys, this way your mid guys can key up and hold the lanes that your point has to run through, sometimes making for a slightly delayed but longer breakout in the end.

If the back tape bunkers are too far for the slower support guys to make after sweeting, don't get 'em to sweet. If you, lose your corner support guys off the break this opens up a whole load of trouble.

If the fields' a bit weird without much cover to run to, stick three players in one bunker, why not? This way as one of the guys runs on to a clear bunker there's still a guy firing a lane over his head providing cover whilst the third player covers the other side. This also looks real cool.

DON'T STOP FIRING!! The more cover you can provide, the easier it is for your point guys to move up.

Pre-agree lanes to cover. This way, once your players are in their bunkers they know without asking where the cover is coming from, and going to.

Learn to fire as you move. If you can maintain a constant rof as you walk, or run into a bunker with some degree of accuracy you have a distinct advantage over the opposition. This also scares the hell out of 'em.

Don't chicken out. When sweetspotting, it can get a bit scary when you see three guys looking at you and firing, if you run away, they win. Stand your ground and you'll be surprised how well it works, they may not be firing in your direction.

That'll do. It aint much but like I say, we aint masters yet, but we will be. If anyone else has braekout tips please post 'em up. :D

cjohns

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2001
Griffin, GA, USA
Nice

AL-- Great breakdown of a proper breakout. I saw you guys at the Diablo Cup break out on the Diablo field and all I can say is that it was the sweetest looking thing I have seen in Paintball today (besides bad ass mugs). Textbook sweetspotting guys!!!!! We ran some new drills at a practice this weekend and I think everyone is in for a big surprise next season from Corrosion. Anyways, I think you have summed it up.;)

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Cheers!!

Thanks for the compliments CJohn, we've been working on our breaks for ages, one day we'll shoot someone doing it:D
Gotta admit, returning comps an' all, you guys look good playing (I only managed to catch snippets of your games) it's nice to see teams creating style with their game. Like Rocky Cagnoni says "If you don't win, at least look good" that is pretty much our philosophy. Next season though is ours, it's trophy time!!!

See you next season man, good luck. :cool:

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
No no no no

Not if you do it right and with some serious speed and knife edge play. You need to have your next moves planned before you get in there, that way you're in control. You don't do it if you dont think it'll work eg. If the back centre standup is an easy bunker to get to from the breakout point BUT the bunker you really want to take is too far for anyone to take from the break without getting lit up you get your point guy who should take the hot bunker to get in the back with you, this way he survives the initial rain. Next you keep your sweeting lines going and cover the point guy, who should be crouched low in front of you either ready to run on your command OR blind shooting their supprt, this means you have close contact and control over this player. When you're both happy he can make it THEN and only then do you send that fool running, he should have enough air support to ease him into the bunker. How's that? This sounds long but it all happens within a matter of seconds, if you're no good you can't do it. If you can't shoot straight, you won't do it. If your point guys is 18 stone and super slow, you won't do it. It's all about forward thinking.

I'm outta breath now. ;)