Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

That is soooo gay

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Or is it? Just an interesting thought, and would like to share it with the collective genius of the box: with the increasing acceptance and normalisation of homosexuality, is the gay identity slowly being marginalised? By which I mean, as the oppressive discourse of heterosexual normativity (which is productive of a gay identity by its very nature) subsides under waves of political and cultural movements, is being gay now as much of an identity as being ginger (ie, slightly stigmatised, but no big deal)? Thoughts?

Mod translation

Is being gay ok?

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Or is it? Just an interesting thought, and would like to share it with the collective genius of the box: with the increasing acceptance and normalisation of homosexuality, is the gay identity slowly being marginalised? By which I mean, as the oppressive discourse of heterosexual normativity (which is productive of a gay identity by its very nature) subsides under waves of political and cultural movements, is being gay now as much of an identity as being ginger (ie, slightly stigmatised, but no big deal)? Thoughts?

Yep

/thread

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
I'm glad you agree, but I was hoping for ruminations on the implications for the liberation of other oppressed groups, implications for identity politics, etc.

Mod Translation

I'm trying to start a row

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Mod Translation

I'm trying to start a row
:rolleyes:;)

I just thought it'd be interesting topic to discuss after all the "What's the meaning of life/the universe/god" threads in here, as it's pertinent, current, and might actually have some interesting conclusions. Yeah, I was a bit miffed that it was dismissed so casually, but I was trying to revive the thread rather than start a row with Bon, whose acerbic humour always cracks me up.

Anyway, since social equality doesn't seem to fire anyone's imaginations I'll crawl back into my box and continue interfering with myself.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
with Bon, whose acerbic humour always cracks me up.

Thankyou :D

Lets go make out in your box then?

And, although I see what you were trying to start, I think the times have past when a good arguement/discussion like that could exist.

The evidence, everywhere, just walk into a hospital, youll probably find more colored doctors there than white ones.

I think the social sigmas today only realy exist on people who bring it on themselfs... eg Chavs and the likes.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
The problem with this type of thread is that because of the current rulings and regulations concerning prejudicial treatment no one really feels able to say what they think without some **** jumping on the equality bandwagon.

Gays, or queers as I prefer to call them, occasionally fags, and the whole subject of homosexuality has been done a few times now, and the same old arguments keep popping up. Its boring.

Think up something else, and if someone comes up with something paintball related for the Brain Box, they won't get any kind of a bonus prize.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
The problem with this type of thread is that because of the current rulings and regulations concerning prejudicial treatment no one really feels able to say what they think without some **** jumping on the equality bandwagon.
That's exactly what I'm interested in, why people take offense to it in the first place, why we live in a heterosexually normative society, why the categories exist in the first place! The trend I was trying to point out was one where these socially constructed categories begin to disappear into the mist and we're just people living together. At what point did who you have sex with become a matter of such importance, and why is it now becoming less of an issue? I mean, there is SO much to think about here I just find it hard to believe people think it's a non-issue. I'm not trying to liberate the gays here (I'll leave the politics to them), I'm trying to identify social trends and their causes(sorry, I hadn't intended to rant there). Buuuuuuut, like I said, my passion doesn't seem to be shared so I'll drop it.

Think up something else, and if someone comes up with something paintball related for the Brain Box, they won't get any kind of a bonus prize.
I will take that as a personal challenge :p There're a lot of people on here with technical knowledge of paintball markers/paint manufacture/etc whose opinions I'd like to hear, so maybe some technical questions would be a nice change from some of the more philosophical threads in the "box"

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com

Mod translation

Is being gay ok?

Being gay is the product of a genetic mal-expression, that is what it is, like a hair-lip or club-foot or whatever quirk of nature you wanna think of.

The social and political machinations that seem to accompany the recipients of this mal-expressed gene have more to do with ill-conceived notions of perspective and rights.

Gay people do not deserve to be discriminated against and should enjoy all the rights and privileges the rest of us have, period !

PS Dev, I know I amy well be in danger of being classified as a pot calling a kettle black here but did you sit on a dictionary and it rammed up yer ass?