Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The Chemical Breakdown of Paint??

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Yeah, I set up a massive tarpooling over the fence in the back garden once - after going through about 300 balls I realised that they were penetrating the tarpooling and it's now full of holes! I had a multicoloured fence after that which never fully washed away, the only way to sort that out of course, was to just spray the whole fence with paint so it was uniform!

..mmmm.....what about cookie dough lumps in it!!:p

Because the paint never dries, does that mean 50 feet under the ground of recreational paintball sites there is a huge paint suppository??? Kinda like oil?? It just drips through the soil to the vast expance beneath.....only to be unearthed years later by the 'Zap drilling company' to recycle it!! It would bring a whole new meaning to the term 'seconds' paint!! :D

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by AJermstad
Because the paint never dries, does that mean 50 feet under the ground of recreational paintball sites there is a huge paint suppository??? Kinda like oil?? It just drips through the soil to the vast exance beneath.....only to be unearthed years later by the 'Zap drilling company' to recycle it!! It would bring a whole new meaning to the term 'seconds' paint!! :D
In theory it is biodegradable, which means it breaks down naturally over time. Of course, exactly how long that takes is anyone's guess ;)

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
a little online research has turned up this info , Direct from the RP Scherer website
Food dyes (pigments), the same as those in orange soda, candies, ice cream, bubblegum, mints, etc., and polyethylene glycol (not to be confused with antifreeze). The liquid fill in a paintball is non-toxic and non-caustic, water-soluble and made of biodegradable or naturally-occurring ingredients. When a paintball hits a target, the thin gelatin skin splits open as it is designed to do, and the liquid inside makes a "paint" mark on the target.

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Oh yeah, forgot about the bio degradeable aspect. But still, it'd be pretty awesome if after years of paintball plastering the trees absorbed the paint and started sprouting genetically modified bright orange, pink, green and white leaves!! :D

Originally posted by Tom Tom
Its (apperently) a vegatable based dye, which is hydroscopic??? so it absorbs water (well the whole ball does but that is why uts easy to wash out)

Non toxic but tastes like $hit.
Not far off-its hygroscopic, a substance tending to absorb moisture from the air.

Thats why paint goes dodgy if you leave the box open all day or don't rotate your pots,

JJ

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
A quick email to Nelson paintball revealed this : " Thanks for asking - generally what you are looking for is something that
everyone keeps secret, "trade secret" type of thing because fills are important part of the paintball and no one wants the competition to know what they are doing.

So I am sorry that I am unable to assist you with your request."

Not very forthcoming....