Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ugh guys what can I expect at a team practise?!

Peter

Jun 24, 2002
Bristol, UK and Kent, UK
Visit site
Ok guys bizarre post this one rather than bladder on here's the run down:

Last Thursday went to Adventure Paintball (near the airport in Bristol) with a couple of mates from uni for a social mess about game.

Had a load of fun and did ok at it not great I thought.

Well Malcolm from team TRIBE was one of the marshall's there and called me over at the end of the say and told me how he liked how I'd played and thought the game out and asked if I wanted to go along to one of TRIBE's practise sessions and see what the team think of me...

Okay in short - what the bloody hell am I to expect - it was my first time playing on Thursday! Going back to Bristol July 20th so at the moment I'm rapidly reading up about techniques and skills before getting there but I've got no chance to go again so it's gonna be all or nothing - the only practise I've got at the moment is Time Crisis 2 on my PS2.

Any ideas, comments appreciated and if you're on team TRIBE go easy on me if you see me!

Peter

Jun 24, 2002
Bristol, UK and Kent, UK
Visit site
Another couple of questions:
  • How long before you guys bought your own markers?
  • Is it worth buying a cheap marker to start with or just hold on and get a better marker?
  • What advantages do electro-pneumatics have are they necessary?

I know that I'll think of more questions soon.

Any guys out there gonna reply see it's been read a couple of times

I was in the same position as you mate.
Read a few things like technique etc..Try and watch the push dvd/video or download the push_hi.mov from kazaa..just search for push.
Just ask them what should I do, what am I doing right/wrong/not doing at all.I've played like 3 times now and I feel I am already starting to develop.
Stay tight, tuck urself in knees feet elbows hopper etc and tight so you can stay in the game longer.My friend came to academy the other day and he got shot out every ruond because he was leaning out to much or too long.
Just try and enjoy urself as well.
Work ur fitness a little too, go for a run and do some squats.
and for ur questions as well..

-I bought an impulse before I played.(i played with a pump when i was 14 about 3 times)

-I bought an expensive marker so it was an incentive to get me to play..plus id probably buy a cheap one and then wanna buy an expensive one 3 months later.thats up to u tho.

-electros are easy to shoot fast but that doesnt make up for accuracy as some people would have you believe.try guns before u buy coz i may have gone for a cocker if i had tried one instead of an imp..but i love my imp.

Peter

Jun 24, 2002
Bristol, UK and Kent, UK
Visit site
Cheers Skullicious - I'll try and get this Push vid it's just I've got the joys of a dial connection the sticky villages out in Kent at the moment - back to Bristol soon.

Just looking over a couple of game vids of the american sup' air guys at the moment seeing the shapes and moves they take looks fairly intense - I can see me being a frontman being the 5'5" midget I am and the fact that I can leg it like a whippet - scary thought though gonna be shot to **** straight away!

Interesting to hear someone else got called up too - I really wasn't expecting it. I hadn't played amazingly well in terms of shooting lots of people to deaths I'd been a bit more adventurous (stupid?) then some of the other players on the team then the guy starts chatting to me at the end and saying some cool stuff about me - made it a thouroughly good day just wanna get back and try out now and show 'em I'm a good guy for the team!

If ur gonna be front player what u wanna try and do is visualise what is going on up in front and figure out blind spots or blind alleys.I'm getting the idea about these and they do work.It will take practice I think and your failure will be rewarded with a lot of paint:D They will shoot until you stop moving as I learned the other day.
Never quote me on any of this though coz I'm a newbie too;)

If you play online games it is a good idea how to learn how to use blind spots, especially on a lan.Theory wise obviously:p

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
I'm sort of assuming here that tribe know you don't have your own kit - if you aren't sure then let them know you haven't (yet!). They are likely to know you are a newby so the most important thing is to show them you can listen & learn, nobody likes a newby that knows it all. Be prepared to try anything, it's unlikely that they will ask you to do anything ridiculously stupid at a first tryout. Watch everyone else, & don't be afraid to ask questions. The format of the day will most likely be a couple of games to loosen up, then some drills like 3 on 1, breaking, snapshooting etc, then a couple more games for fun & to wind down at the end of the day. Again, if you don't understand, ASK. Everyone slips into the "lingo" without thinking about it, and it can be very confusing when people start talking about T-bags, witches hats, wingnuts etc if you haven't played sup'air for example.
On the marker front, just make sure you are completely addicted before you splash out what could be up to a grand on equipment. Try every different marker you can lay your hands on, most players will be more than willing to show you just how sweet their Angel/Impulse/Cocker/Matrix etc shoots. Same goes for goggles etc - everyone is different in what they like. If the team are still interested in you after the tryout they will help you make your mind up on what you want and advise you if you decide to buy second hand.
If you can afford it, then a second hand electro or cocker is a better bet than a new starter level marker as you'll be able to hold your own at a tourny better, and there are limits to how much you can upgrade most of them.

Peter

Jun 24, 2002
Bristol, UK and Kent, UK
Visit site
Well the guy who asked me along knows that I haven't got my own kit - he knows that I'd only played the once at his field!

I'd be suprised if the rest of the team even know coz he just asked me there and then on the fly and told me to get in touch when i wanted to jpin a practise session.

Thanks for the help Liz - appreciated.

(by the way what's there to do in Kent? - I'm in Staplehurst - near Maidstone at the moment)

freddie

Apr 28, 2002
Visit site
new team & practices

more or less agree with liz
BUT be aware of team polices & politics
sometimes this can dictate what kit you get
buying a marker,
again this is dictated by,
where you play on the field,
what role you play,(within the team)
what kind of trigger action YOU feel comfortable with