Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Violent Crime Reduction Act - does it impact on Paintball?

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
I've seen lots of discussion about this by airsofters, but none in relation to paintball.

The UKPSF site states that paintball markers are considered air weapons in the eyes of the law.

I've copied details of the VCR from another site below. Questions it raises:

As of next Monday (1st October):

1. Will all paintball dealers need to be registered firearms dealers?

2. Is the mail order sale of paintball markers banned?

3. Are people under 18 now banned from owning or renting paintball markers?

Or am I getting worried about nothing? :p

On October 1st 2007, Sections 31, 32, 33 & 34 (air weapons), 36, 37, 38, 39 & 40 (realistic imitation firearms and imitation firearms), will come into force.

In respect of air weapons the Violent Crime Reduction Act only addresses the sale, transfer, acquisition and use of those air weapons which are not declared 'specially dangerous', i.e. those air rifles which have a muzzle energy not in excess of 12 ft. lbs. and those air pistols with a muzzle energy not in excess of 6 ft. lbs. (These are generally referred to as 'low-powered air weapons').

Sections 31, 32, 33 & 34:

If you wish to continue selling air weapons by way of trade or business, you must:

Be registered as a Registered Firearms Dealer (RFD) by October 1st. The process requires filling in an application form, available from your police headquarters, and paying £150 for a three year certification. The applicant will be interviewed by a Firearms Enquiry Officer and, having fulfilled the statutory requirements, he will be registered with his local constabulary. An RFD selling only air weapons will have a condition on his Certificate stating what he may sell.
The applicant's premises will be inspected for compliance with security requirements, which are laid down in the Home Office Guidance. For those RFDs selling air weapons only the requirements for security will comprise of 'reasonable precautions' for the safety of the air weapons. These will most likely be: a padlock and chain (or 'Securicord'), through trigger guards whilst the air weapons are on display and the premises are open to the public and, at night when the premises are closed, for the air weapons to locked away out of sight from the public.

From October 1st all air weapon sales and transfers by a Registered Firearms Dealer must be entered into a Statutory Firearms Register.

An RFD is obliged to keep a Statutory Firearms Register in which must be entered all sales, purchases and transfers of firearms, including air weapons.

The details which must be entered into the Register are:

The quantities and description of air weapons purchased or acquired with the names and addresses of the sellers or transferors and the dates of the several transactions.
The quantities and descriptions of air weapons sold or transferred with the names and addresses of the purchasers or transferees and the dates of the several transactions.

The description of air weapons is:

the class of air weapon (e.g. air rifle, air gun or air pistol);
the make, type or distinctive name of the air weapon;
the calibre;
the identification number or other distinguishing mark, if present;
the maker's name if known.

Where air weapons are sold, or transferred between RFDs the requirement for entry in the Register is: the quantity of air weapons, the class of air weapon (i.e. air rifle, air gun or air pistol), and the details of both dealers.

From October 1st RFDs will be required to enter the stock of air weapons held into the Register.

The Regulations state that certain 'component parts' and 'accessories' of air weapons will also have to be entered into the Register. Whilst there is no legal definition of a component part this will mean pressure bearing parts of air weapons such as the barrel, cylinder or reservoir and the piston. 'Accessory' will mean a sound moderator (silencer). Stocks of these items for sale and actual sales and transfers will have to be entered in to the Register.

From October 1st all air weapon sales to non RFDs will have to be in person, i.e. 'face to face'. (This means that mail order sales will be banned. Air weapons may continue to be advertised but the actual physical transfer from RFD to purchaser must be in person).

(Private sales of air weapons will not be banned neither will the possession of air weapons).

From October 1st all references in legislation to the age of seventeen in regard to air weapons will change to eighteen, including:

From October 1st it will be an offence for anybody under 18 to purchase or hire an air weapon or ammunition for an air weapon.

From October 1st it will be an offence to sell or let on hire an air weapon or ammunition for an air weapon to a person under the age of 18.

It will not be a requirement to be an RFD to sell air weapon ammunition or those parts of air weapons not listed as 'component parts' or 'accessories' which require entry into the Statutory Register.

It will not be a requirement to be an RFD to repair an air weapon with those parts not listed as 'component parts' or 'accessories' which require entry into the Statutory Register.

It will not be an offence to return a repaired air weapon by post, or other means, after repair.

Sections 36, 37, 38, 39 & 40:

Section 36 makes it an offence to:

Manufacture a realistic imitation firearm.

Modify an imitation firearm so it becomes a realistic imitation firearm.

Sell a realistic imitation firearm.

Bring a realistic imitation firearm in to Great Britain or cause one to be brought in to Great Britain.

A realistic imitation firearm is one which, for all intents and purposes, is indistinguishable from a real firearm. (A de-activated firearm is not a realistic imitation firearm, neither is an antique imitation). An imitation firearm that is not a realistic imitation firearm may be sold, manufactured, imported, etc. if it meets certain criteria, including principal colour, shape and size.
The principal colours are:

(a) bright red
(b) bright orange
(c) bright yellow
(d) bright green
(e) bright pink
(f) bright purple; and
(g) bright blue

The Act permits importation, sales, and transactions in imitation firearms manufactured in a transparent material.

Any imitation firearm that has dimensions which are less than 38 mm in height and 70 mm. in length will not be regarded as being realistic.

Further criteria apply to 'modern firearms'. It will not be an offence to sell, etc. an imitation firearm which could be identified as an imitation of a firearm which has; 'the design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870'

Section 37 of the Act allows for certain exemptions from the requirements of the Act (as do certain Regulations which allow for a defence).

Certain bodies will be permitted to purchase realistic imitation firearms from sellers for specific activities, which will include:

Use at theatrical performances, and in rehearsals, use in television production, use in film production and use in the organisation and holding of historical re-enactments.

Further defences will apply for the activity of airsoft 'skirmishing', where the organisers are in possession of public liability insurance.

It will be an offence for a person under the age of 18 to purchase an imitation firearm and it will be an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of 18.

The possession of realistic imitation firearms and imitation firearms will not be affected by the VCR Act.

It will be an offence to import or manufacture an imitation firearm which does not conform to specifications which will be set out by the Authorities in the Regulations.

The Home Office will publish specifications for blank-firing imitation firearms which will make it a requirement for the blank firer to have certain inclusions/restrictions within the fabric of the imitation in order to prevent them from being readily converted into live firing firearms. These specifications will be able to be verified through a testing procedure which will be conducted by the Proof Authorities. The importer/seller of the blank firer will be required to satisfy themselves that the imitation firearm meets the specification laid down.

Similar provisions for realistic imitation firearms, and imitation firearms, will apply to Northern Ireland.

Ion_Paintball

Beam me up Scottie
Mar 13, 2007
Sheffield
If you are on about the new regulation that have come in and are effecting airsoft it basically is meaning that to buy or sell an airsoft marker either from the shops or on forums etc you need to be registered to a club and have a ID card of sum form...

To my knowledge this does not effect paintball yet as the problems occurs becuase of the realism of airsoft markers however it could nin the future. but it isnt going to put a stop to the sport....

please correct me if i am wrong

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
According to the content of the act, it's any air weapon, realistic or not.

Interested to know if anyone in the industry has actual concrete info about this, rather than guessing.

Bedlam

Gone crazy, back soon...
those air rifles which have a muzzle energy not in excess of 12 ft. lbs. and those air pistols with a muzzle energy not in excess of 6 ft. lbs.
A realistic imitation firearm is one which, for all intents and purposes, is indistinguishable from a real firearm.
This should have no bearing on paintball, for the above reasons. First off, our markers are below the 12 ft lbs and as long as they are not an imitation or realistic imitation, you are free to sell/transfer/buy it.

The Airsoft and scenario paintballers may have a problem, as all their marker are fairly close to being realistic imitations. But if all you have is a brightly coloured tourney marker, you're safe.........just don't use it to hold up your local post office.....:p

:cool:

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
This should have no bearing on paintball, for the above reasons. First off, our markers are below the 12 ft lbs and as long as they are not an imitation or realistic imitation, you are free to sell/transfer/buy it.

The Airsoft and scenario paintballers may have a problem, as all their marker are fairly close to being realistic imitations. But if all you have is a brightly coloured tourney marker, you're safe.........just don't use it to hold up your local post office.....:p

:cool:
Sorry, but I don't think you're correct. If you read it again...

In respect of air weapons the Violent Crime Reduction Act only addresses the sale, transfer, acquisition and use of those air weapons which are not declared 'specially dangerous', i.e. those air rifles which have a muzzle energy not in excess of 12 ft. lbs. and those air pistols with a muzzle energy not in excess of 6 ft. lbs. (These are generally referred to as 'low-powered air weapons'
So this act is specifically targeted at sub 12ft/lb air weapons (air weapons over 12ft/lb are already covered by firearm legislation), so that includes paintball markers.

Sections 31,32,33,34 apply to ALL air weapons, not just realistic ones. So the restrictions on sale and ownership do seem to apply to us. It's only sections 36-40 which apply to realistic air weapons.

DANIEL

Jun 25, 2002
At the top.
Visit site
we should get this on the packaging or engraved on the gun.

this is not a air weapon, it is just a toy.

that should do it. I might use a marker pen on mine. :D

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Apparently not.

http://www.ukpsf.com/paintballlaw.asp

The Firearms Act places paintball markers in the Air Weapons section. Air weapons do not need a licence if they fall within the following criteria, outside this criteria a licence is required. (This is a brief summary of the main points)

For a paintball marker to be classed as an "Air Weapon" and therefore not require a licence it must not be fired above 12 ft/lbs for a “rifle” type and 6 ft/lbs for a “pistol” type. Nearly all paintball markers come under the “rifle” type, only markers like the “splatmaster” come into the “pistol” category. If a marker fires above these limits they will then come under the Firearms Act and require a licence or be classed as a prohibited weapon. The recent amendment included carbon dioxide as an approved propellant previously only compressed air was allowed. Paintball markers must also only fire approved paintballs. Paintball markers must not be fully automatic i.e. when pulling the trigger once, two or more paintballs must not be discharged.

To stay within the law a paintball marker must not be fired above 330fps when using an average weight paintball, this equates to 12 ft/lbs. All tournament markers are restricted to a maximum velocity of 300fps, which equates to 9.9ft/lbs and site markers should be used at between 250-280fps to be safe for customers. This equates to 7ft/lbs-8.7ft/lbs.

i thought they were classed as toys?
They were classed as toys. I *think* the UKPSF are quite rightly 'playing it safe' with their advice.

This act appears to be trying to clarify a grey area in order to restrict low power air weapons which could visually be mistaken for firearms.

If I sold realistic paintball markers (Ben Tippmanns etc), Id be a little worried.

However the fact that they mention (exempt) airsoft skirmishing specifically, but dont mention paintball, makes me think they dont consider any paintball gun to be affected by these regulations.