Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Domestic Pro League hits tha UK

Originally posted by HERMITT
If we are going to have a discussion about this as a possible improvement to UK ball can we leave the television debate at the door. This is a dead end goal that will only divert from what we need to address in the sport in general.

TV in europe will come to us when it wants to, maybe people should just realise that we might never get on the box as a mainstream sport and look at the real problems.
OK, cool...benefits of this Pro league to my mind are:

1. The ability to actually watch better players and teams go at it. Watch and learn...spending time watching everything good players do for a day and learning from it is more valuable than playing a tourney yourself.

2. The ability to get in amongst them yourself if you work hard all season. Then you get to play against superior players for an entire season. Huge learning curve.

3. If you cannot use entry into tha Pro league as a leverage for more sponsorship then you are not very imaginative.

How dat?

IanC

Jan 24, 2003
Searching for the pro-tour....:S
Originally posted by HERMITT
If we are going to have a discussion about this as a possible improvement to UK ball can we leave the television debate at the door. This is a dead end goal that will only divert from what we need to address in the sport in general.

TV in europe will come to us when it wants to, maybe people should just realise that we might never get on the box as a mainstream sport and look at the real problems.
Or perhaps TV in europe will come to us when we provide them with a sport worth watching, well run, in a clean,professional enviroment! But before this we need to at least provide a format that will get the local papers in, with reportes informed enough to write a sensible article.

And the lessons learned in running a slicker, more professional sport will filter down, just like the technological advances filter down from high end to budget markers!!!!

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Hermitt,
You guys are all debating different things. The virtues of the proposed pro league is it's unifying potential. It could serve as a way to pull the different domestics under a single national umbrella and give focus to all the efforts of the lower ranked teams across the spectrum of UK PB.
If you want it to somehow serve you directly I think you ask too much--right now.
If you think lower ranked teams in the UK need to modify their games one of the better ways to do that is to learn it watching better teams play the way you want to learn how to. With new blood, so to speak, cycling thru the Pro division on a yearly basis it gives opportunity to teams coming up and also begins the process of spreading the level of play and competency throughout UK paintball. Think of it like yeast in bread dough. It can't and won't all happen yesterday but it will happen if this idea works out.

At least that's how I see it.

EDIT ADDED: beaten to the punch by the Maestro--again.

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Hermitt,

If you think lower ranked teams in the UK need to modify their games one of the better ways to do that is to learn it watching better teams play the way you want to learn how to. With new blood, so to speak, cycling thru the Pro division on a yearly basis it gives opportunity to teams coming up and also begins the process of spreading the level of play and competency throughout UK paintball. Think of it like yeast in bread dough. It can't and won't all happen yesterday but it will happen if this idea works out.

At least that's how I see it.
No, thass how I see it, you just repeated me with mo' words.

Goddam plagarist. :p

If there was a league for the Am's and novices, don't you think this could lead to teams sandbagging just so they could be top of their division?

The idea here is for teams to work towards a goal of competing against the best. It gives teams who train hard some reward for their efforts if they do well. Therefore it is an incentive. How many teams do you think will just play this format because it is fun? Where will this get them and how far will it get the teams who play against them? The best things don't come easy, they need to be worked on.

I think the idea behing keeping this format at the top is because at the end of the day it will keep the time wasters out and improve the quality of the teams at the top which should eventually improve the chances against other non UK teams. This is what it will do for UK ball.

For people who don't play and understand paintball, this will be much more exciting to watch for them as opposed to watching novice teams. Therefore this will generate excitement and enthusiasm rather than boredom. Ultimately it is a generation of interest in the non paintball community that will push the development of paintball in this country.... not the players that are already playing.

1. Buy a dvd, then spend the time you would have spent watching the tour training.

2.Travel to millenium events and play pro. If you qualify as pro in the millenium then in theory the extra costs should be dampened by the sponsorship you would have.

3.Use the european wide exposure from playing the above to gain even more leverage.

I may be being a tad simplistic, but i dont believe that people will travel all that far just to watch the pros slog it out. The team training schedule should mean that any spare time you get would probably be spent sleeping:D

I like the concept, but i dont think that the pros are the key to the future of our success. We need to build from the bottom up. And for Piper i dont mean give them free stuff!!!

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
No, thass how I see it, you just repeated me with mo' words.

Goddam plagarist. :p
I cop to the more words but that plagarism charge is just way harsh, dude. Besides, I think you used your black powers to reorder the posts just to make me look bad. :rolleyes:

Hermitt--you do need a broader base of regular players of every sort, not just Newbie Mills that cycle peeps thru 'em but that's another issue and one the pro league can't really address directly.

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
Hermitt, Looking down my nose, sorry pal your wrong.

Teams can get sponsorship but they have to earn it, I played for 5 years before I saw one box of free paint, and teams now want it all for next to nothing or free. How is that good for the sport? How does that help the sport grow? If companies give everything away for free then we make little or no money, then when it all stops players refuse to play as they now have to start paying for it.

Can you phone FIFA today and say that your local football team want to play in the Premier league and they have been training all the off season, so come on let us in! They would just laugh and say no. So why should this Pro league be any different?

Hermitt

I think I may have spotted a flaw in your 3-point plan. With the MS Pro section being locked at the end of this year then you are going to have to try (and suceed) right now. If you are good enough to make the cut in the MS then I am thinking you are probably already on my list of teams being invited to join the Pro-Tour.

And quite astutely Baco hit all the nails on the head (must be his over-sized hammer, the cheating sod!);)

Finally, as for building from the bottom up then you need to hold out for our next big idea, Pro-Tour is just the beginning!