The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball - Skill or Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluelite

Nov 6, 2002
Waco, Texas
Visit site
When I first started playing it was in 5 man tournaments on wood fields with autocockers and automags. I used a Tippman prolite. Our team did well at the local tourneys we enterred but after about a year we all graduated and went seperate ways. I stopped playing for about 8 years and when I started up again with my brother last year we have been playing tourney's on sup-air fields. I would say the skills I used then and the skills I use now are the same but now they have to be notched up the the nth level. Firing lanes and walking the fields are the same regardless. An obstacle is an obstacle. I believe that Dynasty 2003 would win versus anyone 1994 regardless of the field because they would have figured it the same way they figure the fields they play now and then it would be up to their decision making during the game. Thanks to the way the game is played now, I believe the players are better decision-makers and realize and make the most of opportunities quicker then in years past. I also believe that the players are much better at using their available cover due to the fact that there isn't so much of it out there. Todays players are skilled at the basic level and are also faster and quicker on the uptake. Dynasty 2003, no doubt.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Yeah, Dynasty 2003 would lose the first few games, I think, due to unfamiliarity. Walking a woods field is different enough that it would throw them for a game or two. Then they would whip the tar out of the '94 teams.

Skill is required even in bass fishing. Speed forces the skills to be more refined... I think I am just repeating the point made re boxing by Robbo.

The more people are competing in an endeavor, the more refined the skill levels become. There are more teams and players now, ergo, the skill levels are greater, regardless of the setting. The skill sets have changed as bit, but the overall level of skill is higher now, due to the wider field of competitors.

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Originally posted by Red_Merkin
Nudge,
Players have swapped one set of skills for another set of skills. In my opinion, players today have much stronger skills than in the old days. It's hard to say what would happen if you 'time warped' a top team back to 1990, and dropped them into an old skool woodland game, but i believe that if you took a team from back then and put them onto an air ball field today, they would get smoked.
-and-
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
You gotta agree tha ring is a litle different though... I think everyone knows that Dynasty would murderize the classic All As/Ironmen/Aftershocks on concept fields, but would they win on an old style woods field d'ya think?
It's not just a matter of time passing, folks. It's a matter of being used to the surroundings. If you dropped a team from 94 into an arena, YES they'd be lost. Becasue they wouldn't know or understand how to play it. Same thing with dropping a team like Dynasty into the woods. They wouldn't get it, at first, but they'd pick it up.

What I think a lot of people are forgetting is that the "Classic" teams are still playing. All A's, Ironmen (whichever flavor you like), and so on. Except they were 10 years YONGER then.

All that's really happened in the last 10 years is the firepower upped, that's really about it. I know Robbo will jump on me but I really don't care. Paintball has not signifigantly changed in the last 10 years EXCEPT for firepower. We still play the same style of game, just in a new setting and with guns that shoot more paint faster and more efficiently. (Sit and shoot, and if you can move up, you move up.) Because of the firepower, techniques became more refined. Stances changed, methods of doing hte 'break', that all evolved.

But, for the most part, it's the same game. I've got footage from '94 World Cup in the woods aired on ESPN, I compare it to OLN's footage of World Cup '03, except for the windowdressing (clothing, air bunkers, flashy gear) it hasn't changed. Guys screaming positions, front guys crawling and moving, back guys throwin' the paint, dudes controlling angles by making the key bunkers, guys crashing into the front 45's, and teams controlling the angles on the field being the most important aspect to the game. The only diffrence is the wildcard of being able to crawl in the woods and use camo effectively. That's really it. Same game, one part stripped.

Well, that and the field was larger too, I mean it took a long time to sprint from one end to the other if you were fast. (I've got footage of Billy Gardner hauling ass from his 35 to the other flag, and the run takes him easily 30 seconds...)

My point is that if you took any team from "back in the day", got them up to speed wiht a modern gun, and gave them a week on an airball field, they'd still whup ass. Just like if you took a modern team, put them "Bakc in the day", gave them equipment the top teams used, and said "Sick 'em", they'd whup ass too. Teamwork, and the ability to work together, and the ability to pick a field apart for angles doesn't change because of technology.

-Tyger
(who knows he'll be accused of bashing tourney guys again becasue it makes 'yall feel better, but I'm not. Just taking the last 10 years of "progress" and putting it into persepective....)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Tyger
-and-
It's not just a matter of time passing, folks. It's a matter of being used to the surroundings. If you dropped a team from 94 into an arena, YES they'd be lost. Becasue they wouldn't know or understand how to play it. Same thing with dropping a team like Dynasty into the woods. They wouldn't get it, at first, but they'd pick it up.

What I think a lot of people are forgetting is that the "Classic" teams are still playing. All A's, Ironmen (whichever flavor you like), and so on. Except they were 10 years YONGER then.

All that's really happened in the last 10 years is the firepower upped, that's really about it. I know Robbo will jump on me but I really don't care. Paintball has not signifigantly changed in the last 10 years EXCEPT for firepower. We still play the same style of game, just in a new setting and with guns that shoot more paint faster and more efficiently. (Sit and shoot, and if you can move up, you move up.) Because of the firepower, techniques became more refined. Stances changed, methods of doing hte 'break', that all evolved.

But, for the most part, it's the same game. I've got footage from '94 World Cup in the woods aired on ESPN, I compare it to OLN's footage of World Cup '03, except for the windowdressing (clothing, air bunkers, flashy gear) it hasn't changed. Guys screaming positions, front guys crawling and moving, back guys throwin' the paint, dudes controlling angles by making the key bunkers, guys crashing into the front 45's, and teams controlling the angles on the field being the most important aspect to the game. The only diffrence is the wildcard of being able to crawl in the woods and use camo effectively. That's really it. Same game, one part stripped.

Well, that and the field was larger too, I mean it took a long time to sprint from one end to the other if you were fast. (I've got footage of Billy Gardner hauling ass from his 35 to the other flag, and the run takes him easily 30 seconds...)

My point is that if you took any team from "back in the day", got them up to speed wiht a modern gun, and gave them a week on an airball field, they'd still whup ass. Just like if you took a modern team, put them "Bakc in the day", gave them equipment the top teams used, and said "Sick 'em", they'd whup ass too. Teamwork, and the ability to work together, and the ability to pick a field apart for angles doesn't change because of technology.

-Tyger
(who knows he'll be accused of bashing tourney guys again becasue it makes 'yall feel better, but I'm not. Just taking the last 10 years of "progress" and putting it into persepective....)
Sorry Rob, but what you just wrote is complete and utter bull**** !

Cow Excriment?

Originally posted by Robbo
Sorry Rob, but what you just wrote is complete and utter bull**** !
Robbo, that is beneath you! Why do you say that?

For my 2cents I'd say that on top of the greater ROF, the game moves a great deal faster, what with the advent of flat sports fields rather than the roots and tree stumps that were (and indeed are still) on woodland fields players can afford flat out sprinting, knee/body slides etc.

Also the nature of a woodland bunker is significantly different from a sup'airball bunker; I'm specifically thinking of my own (not wholly succesful) evaluation of some woodland baricades and the bit in PUSH where Image are walking a woodland field. Now we just say "its a lay-down and is played like every other lay-down I have ever seen."

But then again, I've only been on the paintball scene 5 minutes, so I'm sure that Robbo has some more enlightening deconstructions:

Richard

P.s. Robbo, do you have to quote the entire post if all you're going to do is post a one line response?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Cow Excriment?

Originally posted by Richard Kirke (DUPS Rocket) UK
Robbo, that is beneath you! Why do you say that?

For my 2cents I'd say that on top of the greater ROF, the game moves a great deal faster, what with the advent of flat sports fields rather than the roots and tree stumps that were (and indeed are still) on woodland fields players can afford flat out sprinting, knee/body slides etc.

Also the nature of a woodland bunker is significantly different from a sup'airball bunker; I'm specifically thinking of my own (not wholly succesful) evaluation of some woodland baricades and the bit in PUSH where Image are walking a woodland field. Now we just say "its a lay-down and is played like every other lay-down I have ever seen."

But then again, I've only been on the paintball scene 5 minutes, so I'm sure that Robbo has some more enlightening deconstructions:

Richard

P.s. Robbo, do you have to quote the entire post if all you're going to do is post a one line response?

Richard, It's not beneath me, it would have been beneath me to answer it fully.
I just can't be arsed to get into it with Tyger regarding that asinine post, if you wanna, good luck to you, the man's a buffoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.