Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball - Skill or Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cow Excriment?

Then why did you post at all? "Better people think you a fool for saying nothing..." and all that.

Tyger posted his oppinions backed up with evidence, I can't see this as the actions of a buffoon . I disagreed with him, also giving reasons. This is how debate works.

I'm gonna stop now before I say something unwise or unfair, it is not my position to say anything more.

Richard

edited to correct some spelling

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Cow Excriment?

Originally posted by Richard Kirke (DUPS Rocket) UK
Then why did you post at all? "Better people think you a fool for saying nothing..." and all that.
Richard

Richard , you imply I am a fool ?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
No

I imply nothing. I do not know you well enough to make any such comment. From the evidence it is very unlikely that you would have got where you were if you were a fool.

Richard
Then what's with the unfinished quote you used?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Thread detour over

I have taken this over to PMs since this is not the point of this board.

We now return you to your normal program...
Nah, bollocks, this ain't goin to PM's you used a quote in this forum so that everybody could read in reference to me, explain yourself in this self same forum !!!
You insult me in public and wanna apologise in private, that ain't gonna happen !

As you wish

If you insist, I shall continue here, I just feel that it is using up space on this board that could be used far more usefully. Here is the PM I'm typing:

I have shifted to PM because while I am prepared to continue this conversation, I don't think anyone else is interested in this.

The quote as we both know concludes "than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I simply wished to use it to highlight the fact that your posting achieved nothing. It simply served to put down, insult and take up space.

I have been a fan of your articles ever since I first started reading them. You have been in paintball a long time and have earned a great deal of respect. This is why I felt that typing "That's Bull****" was beneath you; I expect a far more considered opinion from one of the leading names in this sport. It was the sort of post that (from anyone else) I would have not hesitated from reporting to the moderators. I did not want to make a big thing of it, but it is exactly the sort of post that turns newbies off this forum and paintball.

So I will apologise to you if you feel I have called you a fool, it was not my intention to do so, becasue it is patently not true. But I do not see why anyone should have to put up with that kind of insult on this board, it is usually friendly helpful and informative and this is why I have kept coming back.

So lets call an end to this please,

Peace

Richard

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Nothing's really beneath me, so I'll take a crack at it.

1. The sophistication of teamwork has grown immensely. Whereas once upon a time the honors went to whoever could hide well and shoot well at the same time, now, coordinating movement and firing, handing off suppression duties, and controling an opponent's perception of the field are needed as well. The list of team actions is longer than that, really, but I list those as examples of the advent of actual tactics in paintball.

2. New skills are being added all the time, as old skills fade from relevance. Crawling is less useful now than it once was (although there is still a time and place) while slides of different kinds are far more important to making moves.

3. Fitness is required to a greater extent now than nine years ago. Two weeks of getting accustomed to physical demands might help, but there would still be much catching up to do.

4. Reaction speed, I argue, is an acquired attribute. Snap shooting is far more advanced now than back in the day, and a few good snappers could establish dominance against old school teams and press that dominance to obtain control of the opponent's perception of the game. At that point, the snapper equiped team runs over the woodsmen.

5. Those classic teams that are still around aren't really ten years older than they were ten years ago. Well, the team is, but the players aren't. SC Ironmen keeps bringing in new talent (Bob was still the captain in '94). I'm not saying that replacing Bob made them more competitive, I am saying that Lessons learned have been passed down, not kept in the minds and muscles of the original players.

6. A fallacy: two games that look the same to an observer are equal.
Watch Cartel vs. Brass Eagle All Stars, then watch Naughty Dogs vs Lockout. The games are not all that different. Now put Naughty Dogs against BE All Stars and Cartel against Lockout, and learn the difference between Pro and Am. The difference between the '94 teams and the '03 teams is analogous. If someone doesn't like my choice of teams in the example, replace them with other teams of the same caliber.

7. A question to Mr Rubin: Can the accomplishments of the last ten years all be obtained in a week's time by a team fresh from the time machine? Ten years of developement are all external to the player? No disrespect intended, but I don't agree. Persuade me.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
The use of your quote and the subsequent explanation for its use are not consistent as you well know....
I am foolish in many aspects of my life, but paintball ain't one of them.

Tyger has repeatedly talked crap over the years with regard to relative skill merits between tourney ballers and rec ballers.
It is a well-trodden debate by both myself and others who have tried to get Tyger to admit the truth.

He sees the truth but blinds himself in a vain effort to justify his position in this sport of ours.
Richard, I just can't be bothered with him anymore and my one liner was in response to HIM mentioning me in his post.
He knew I was gonna come back at him, he baited me to, but I wasn’t going to get into yet another waste of my time explaining some basic principles of paintball to a man that just doesn’t want to listen.
That is why I did the one liner.
Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.