Paintball will disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
This is one of my posts that I almost regret putting up. As I probably said already I was being a bit over-dramatic and too pessimistic.

I think there are several good points in the responses about other sports or activities that have continued despite being much unsafer.

But it is true that some local municipalities have tried and perhaps succeeded in restricting paintball. In some cases some good lobbying, due to the fact that paintball has become so big, has succeeded in turning around these cases.

I still hold to my original theory that a spate of eye injuries in any given locality could bring paintball to the chopping block. I have been on a campaign here in Sweden to improve safety because in some places it has been gross. Íf you want, check out my suggested safety check-list in the "speak your brains" area.

WE MUST CONSTANTLY BE VIGILANT CONCERNING SAFETY! I know this tends towards alarmism but imagine what it would be like at Campaign or Toulouse if one of the judges got her/his eyes knocked out in front of the crowd. All it takes is just one split-second mistake, someone testing their marker, while one of the many judges has their mask off. We know that judges have their masks off way too much on the fields, between the games, while there are unsafe markers. Right? Dare to be "uncool" enough to point out that such behavior is unacceptable. In the interest of keeping our sport.

Lazertag? I was proven wrong. Can't replace paintball for all of the reasons many have named here. Just wanted to pursue the idea a little.

I wouldn't mind at all if a moderator pulled this whole thread off. I would much rather concentrate on safety and better rules against cheating and unsportsmanlike conduct. Please respond to that thread!

Cheers,

Steve

ices

Banned
Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
You seem to be taking this safety issue with us ballers a bit too seriously.

Pball is a risky sport, as you know but what sport isnt?

Take examples of Football (soccer), American football etc they all have risks, these risks were there since they were invented.

Have they stopped players from physical contact due to this?
Nah.

Safety is always an issue.
In cricket the ball comes at you at 80+mph, that is dangerous, even with body-clad protection you get injured.

Again have they banned this?
No.
Regulation on an international scale will close issues on balling that politicians may want to take advantage of.

Personally, laser-tag sucks and so does any future form of it.
I dont want to be stung by an electric shockin by your so-called future crap-lasertag, I prefer the excitement of getting hit by something REAL, and not an invisible red line.

Ps: TJ, who be calling euros wussies :)

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
Just a thought

Could the fact that paintball markers are classed as air rifles by law have something to do with the sports commision (or whoever decides if something is a sport) not wanting it to be recognised as a sport?

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by ||Ices||
You seem to be taking this safety issue with us ballers a bit too seriously.

Pball is a risky sport, as you know but what sport isnt?
said already I was being a bit over-dramatic and too pessimistic.
I still hold to my original theory that a spate of eye injuries in any given locality could bring paintball to the chopping block.
Risk is fine. No problem with that.

Can't take safety too seriously. I'm not talking about hopping up and down in a frenzy. Just reminding those to whom it applies what the consequences of unsafeness could be. Remember an eye, once lost, is forever lost. Paintball banned in any given municipality might be banned forever.

I have decided to add a new rule to the rules suggestions in the thread called "Enforcing the rules...":

* The same penalty points shall be applied to any judging paintball team, concerning any safety infraction, that would apply to a playing team, e.g. removing masks in a goggles-on area, etc.

* Professional or otherwise independent judges shall be fined €50 or $50 (as appropriate) for any safety violation listed in the rules, e.g. removing masks in a goggles-on area, etc.

This shows how seriously I take safety.

Already said several times in this thread (read my last post) that I agree that lasertag sucks. Probably always will.

Steve

John Molloy

Jedi Master
Jan 9, 2002
Manchester
ukjaguars.com
Depends what you use laser tag for, as a sport it sucks big time, as an LRP aid it works ok.
As for safety anyone who takes their mask off in a game DESERVES to injure themselves cos they are mind meltingly F***ing stupid but such idiocy would cause bad publicity and might get the sport banned. I agree that maybe on thespot fines or bans from legs of tournies may be the way to go (fines would prove difficult to enforce without a governing body)

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by pestilence
You cant ban a spot 'cos some nutter abuses a paintball marker, otherwise you gotta bana shed load of similar sports.
Baseballs well stuffed if you're wrong, and golf and indeed any sport that has something you can take a swing with.

Don't here of that many incidents involving paintball guns inthe media though, here's hoping it stays that way.

Just gotta post on this thread

anyone who takes their mask off in a game DESERVES to injure themselves cos they are mind meltingly F***ing stupid but such idiocy would cause bad publicity and might get the sport banned
Um... some prat (and I use this word carefully) taking off his mask is not the only conditions under which a paintball mask comes off during a game, last saturday I had my hands over somebody's eyes while he retrieved his mask. He was Ok, and becuase I knew to responds firmly and immediately was in very little danger... but accidents do happen.

Laser Tag, why do you guys seem to think its jsut for "Kids and their parents"? There are loads of Live Role Players (or LRP as John said). These guys are like scenario 'ballers only more so! they make their own kit, based on the guns form Aliens or whatever, they add speakers and stobe lights and all sorts of stuff to them...

But as a sport it would suck! IMHO mostly becuase as Hotpoint put it there is risk (N.B. not many people are goign to willingly attach electrodes to their testicals, I know I wouldn't!) or at least percieved risk. You get over the fear of being hit, but its always there. There is a satisfaction with paintballs, they hit things, you can see them go etc.

The Lazer-tag like thing that is being proposed is fake paintball, it will be a (poor) immitation of the true sport of kings (well knaves maybe ;) ) bunkers that vibrate just like real painballs... why not use real paintballs!

You know it make sense!

See all you 2002ers at 6E

Richard

Meyer

If paintball does disapear, it will be because it is replaced by an even better sport, and is that really bad? That sport won't be laser tag, because its simply too easy.
It takes little skill to point a laser at someone, thers no drop, no spin, no wind, just point and click, but paintball requires real skill to be good at. Anyone can learn to play tight, and only stick out the gun, but it takes real talent to do that, and aim with respect to drop, spin, weather, distance, and incoming paint.
Paintball wont disapear unless it is replaced by something even better (perhaps this lazerball stuff because its much cleaner), but that is years, even decades away, if it even happens. And if it doesm its because its a better sport, so why not play it instead?

John_Wilson

Will mark for money!
May 22, 2002
Visit site
I reckon, its not that paintball is dangerous ( because it really isn't if you are wise) but the fact you have a little tube of metal the allows a projectile to be fired at someone, when they are hit they "die" I think someone mentioned this earlier ( sorry forgot your name) maybe instead of having a dead box have a eliminated box? i dunno you get the point, this is mre likely to help paintball become less military based in the public view.

thats my bit any way,

Status
Not open for further replies.