Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Training in the 21st Century

jeevusmaximus

Jan 12, 2002
people like you deserve sponsors!
i wish i could get on a team with the same views and dedication as you
You may think I deserve it but to be honest, we have only played a 3-man. Once. Of course it would be really really nice to be sponsored but at our level, I doubt it will happen. I don't think paintball companies would bother sponsoring us just because of what I plan to do. I need to go out and do it and be succesful before we have a chance.

jeremy7

Nov 24, 2002
Ohio, USA
Visit site
Originally posted by jeevusmaximus
You may think I deserve it but to be honest, we have only played a 3-man. Once. Of course it would be really really nice to be sponsored but at our level, I doubt it will happen. I don't think paintball companies would bother sponsoring us just because of what I plan to do. I need to go out and do it and be succesful before we have a chance.
atleast you're on the right path and know what you need to do

Davo at work

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Is the secret ever going to get out?

Whilst I appreciate all the points posted about this area and also appreciate that most teams in the UK neither have the inclination or committment to do the necessary things to become a top team the questions still applies: What specifically do you suggest we all do Robbo? How do we change?

We all know that we need to shake the UK and Euro scene up to stay in touching distance with the Yanks but you still have not disclosed any specifics as how you propose this transition is achieved. We know you have picked Sergie's brains on several occaisions and that Nexus will embrace thses new techniques for next year and bloody good luck to you by the way! but not one article that you have writen about the inpending revolution has given people pointers as to how to facilitate this?

We know that the technical side and fitness side of the game is all important but how do we develop this to the stage the Ruskies are at?

Also are these alterations to our paintball lifestyle purely geared up for X Ball as the common man will not be playing this games for at least 2-3 years in my opinion, I know many of the improvements could/should be used to enhance our normal tourney ball but again WHAT SPECIFICALLY and HOW?

Surely as an ambassador to the sport as a whole your new team 'secret' training regime should be laid out for all to see for the long term greater good of UK ballin! BTW Robbo can you lend us some paint :D :D

Simon Malone

Nov 30, 2001
Hook, Hants
www.nspl.co.uk
Davo, anyone else who is interested

I've been doing my research, and stretching the old brain and here's what I came up with.

I drew up one of those old school spider diagram things, with paintball in the middle. Then with all the diffrent components that make up a game around the outside. I ended up with about thirty diffrent areas, ranging from gun technique, attitude, walking fields, etc. Now with the help of my team we need to develop a list of drills that covers each of the points mentioned in that diagram.

Come practice we perform each one of the drills mixed in with a few small games at the end. To give it that professional touch we hire a coach to make sure we do all the exercises correctly and efficiently;)

Give it two years and we'll see how well Unreal are performing then, top flight Am A i'm hoping:D

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Is the secret ever going to get out?

Originally posted by Davo at work
Whilst I appreciate all the points posted about this area and also appreciate that most teams in the UK neither have the inclination or committment to do the necessary things to become a top team the questions still applies: What specifically do you suggest we all do Robbo? How do we change?

We all know that we need to shake the UK and Euro scene up to stay in touching distance with the Yanks but you still have not disclosed any specifics as how you propose this transition is achieved. We know you have picked Sergie's brains on several occaisions and that Nexus will embrace thses new techniques for next year and bloody good luck to you by the way! but not one article that you have writen about the inpending revolution has given people pointers as to how to facilitate this?
We know that the technical side and fitness side of the game is all important but how do we develop this to the stage the Ruskies are at?
Also are these alterations to our paintball lifestyle purely geared up for X Ball as the common man will not be playing this games for at least 2-3 years in my opinion, I know many of the improvements could/should be used to enhance our normal tourney ball but again WHAT SPECIFICALLY and HOW?
Surely as an ambassador to the sport as a whole your new team 'secret' training regime should be laid out for all to see for the long term greater good of UK ballin! BTW Robbo can you lend us some paint :D :D

Dave, you raised some good points, I'll try to answer some of them. It's true, the majority of teams, and here I'm talking about Euro teams, have no real aspirations to get to the top. They may well go thru the motions of saying they do and do a bit of training here and there but as we all know, none of it ever comes to much.
There are however some serious teams out there.

Tournament Paintball is now undergoing an evolutionary phase catalysed in part, by the advent of X-Ball.
X-Ball has refocused attention onto the top teams and made people realise, or should have done, that to inhabit the upper levels of this game, changes, drastic changes have to be made to team development and organisation.
I have said this many times before, even before X-Ball.
But, even now we have so called top teams just going thru the motions.
No longer can any aspiring team play local tourneys, they are a waste if time and expense, it is an opportunity missed, an opportunity to train has just been thrown away.
Resources in Europe in terms of quality players and finances is at a premium, a premium that makes it imperative that every last opportunity is taken to train.
The Yanks are playing every week, the Russkies three or four times a week, the rest of us have to make do on what we can afford in terms of time and money.
Which all makes it so important we focus our attention on the training ground.
Now comes two problems, firstly, we have to get a team roster that will respond to the new regime of requirements and has depth in terms of talent resource; basically they have to be young, fit and very good players.
This is not an absolute because teams do need an element of experience.
Secondly, the team has to manage resources, i.e. finance and available training time.
Get this management wrong and u might as well go play ping-pong.
The teams who make this transition to the new era will have a strong youth base, a strong financial backing and a sophisticated training regime.

And now we come to what I think you were wanting; it's one thing having the resources, it's quite another using them properly.
If you want to aim for the top then you need to concentrate on the basic elements of the game, for many years (over 10 in fact) I have advocated in the magazine the reductionist approach to training.
Basically, you have to identify, separate and refine the elements of the game.
Training days should be filled with the refining of these elements with tournaments and some training days being used as an exercise in integration of these trained techniques.
Try to look at the game as a series of elements; sprinting, snap shooting, diving, shooting, sliding, staying tight and so on.
Each of these has to be refined and the only way you can attain this degree of concentration is to practice them time and time again in isolation.
Playing hick tourneys is just a waste of frikkin time and money, so forget it.

The distinction that has now fallen across tournament paintball may be a harsh one and it is this, no longer are the top guys playing because they like to play, the focus of attention is on continued and concerted improvement and if you enjoy it, great, if you don't then leave.
We are now talking about becoming professional both in our attitude and approach but without getting paid.
We have to assume the role of pros before the final piece of the professional jig saw falls into place and we start to get paid as pros.
I’m not sure if this answers all of your questions but I hope it answers some.

Robbo

Davo at work

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Thanks

Cheers Robbo, that certainly gives us some new ideas to work with and hopefully it will see us move forward this/next season I would say that I think it can be achieved but with limited resources it will just take that bit longer thats all!! I just hope that we are kept up to date with any new ideas from the likes of yourselves who will have a greater opportunity to 'suck it and see'.

Cheers

brian

BUNKER MONKEY
Aug 16, 2001
SoBored
Visit site
Training

Robbo,this is just my opinion but sometimes when other players come up to me after losing a game we should have won and say"hard luck mate,just remember its about fun first",i,m thinking "b@$!!*t,i,ve come here to win first and have fun second",because if people say this to me that means their training program (or lack of) isn,t working and its down to their attitude which is letting them down before they even walk on the field(training field or tourney).When i,ve spent £££,s on paint,kit,travel i would like to see results and have a laff on the way to those said results,some people should train their teams attitude as well as their shooting(not saying the,ve got a bad attitude just the wrong one!),point is training your attitude a little can help lots,even when it comes to stuff like getting sponsors and suchlike,some of my sponsors dont even know what p.balling is but with the right attitude aimed at them,they came up with the dollar....remember,im, not having a go at anyone but training can incorporate mind as well as body...sorry if this sounds a bit tough but some times you have to be.....happy hunting....p.s have shot against nexus,they where lucky?!?:D

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Hey Brian, if you look at my post, the last paragraph or so includes me making mentoin of the fact that a team's attitude has to changeto be more professional as well as everything else.
So I think we are in agreement on that one :)
As for Nexus being lucky, nah luck don't come into it, the only time it does is when we are unlucky :)
Robbo

brian

BUNKER MONKEY
Aug 16, 2001
SoBored
Visit site
phew!

No worries,do nexus have training days?are they kept for the team only or do you have days where other teams can turn up and try their luck/skill/etc or is it by invite only?as the stuff about training in your post could surely (in a small way) help others who come to watch/play in their games,as i,d come to watch nexus train because A.They are bloody good and B.think of it as spreading the knowledge and helping the euro teams to step up their game a bit,it sounds a bit corny i know but when i started p.balling,the preds and nwc etc were the teams i looked up to as well as trying to adopt/pinch certain moves,and nowadays in europe the teams i watch are teams of the same calibre(nexus,r.legion,ton tons etc) hoping in vain that what they do can be emulated by us small timers...thanks for your time....brian....hope you are not unlucky in the future...good hunting

:cool:

your mom

wears army boots
haven't read every post here yet, but:
hiring a coach seems wierd there, simon malone, i'm not questioning ur commitment to improvement, but players should coach each other.(i guess by hiring you mean u pay the guy)
i have to say that unless u guys are doing 'revolutionary' things in ur training, which must be conducted in a secret underground base, you should share it with the amateur players and teams on the forums.

and how about instead of crappy tournies nobody cares about, robbo, you organize a day at the local field where all the local amateur teams can come and be coached by the 'pros' i think this would show people what it really takes to be pro player and teach them their weaknesses and how to train better too. if you want people to consider paintball a sport, and paintballer as atheletes, then you could set this up as a way of giving the joes shmoes a chance to see what it takes.

all you guys seem to do so far is b:eek: tch about how lazy the brit pballers are, but ur not helping r u?

u guys can say that it's easy to train, but some people have no idea what to do, i know people on teams in the states that have been palying for a month! they barely know how to care for their marker, let alone train like a pro!

if you really what the situation to improve, adn this is for ALL u guys out there, you should do as i have proposed, and have big training days. maybe in conjunction with a mag(sponsor, perhaps)
and tour the country giving training days at the local fields.
could be a good way to help the brits beat russia and athe US, recruit new players, and expand the sport.