Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Elf and Safety

Jun 11, 2008
The health and safety profession is the target of government cuts and media bashing like never before.
Given that the aim of Health and Safety is to minimise risk to acceptable levels and protect health/well being why is it so vilified?

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
your reply might have contradicted H+S terms... it's a ****ing joke these days, when packets of nuts have to state that "this product may contain nuts" it seems a bit OTT to me.

BDN

May 24, 2008
NW England
There's too much hiding behind H & S, sometimes it's too much hard work, but more frequently, to avoid legal action. And that's come about I think from abusers of the legal system; convince a judge that, even though an action was so bleeding obviously dangerous & had a very chance of injury, the perpetrator was not to blame in any way despite numerous warning signs, fencing etc..
Seems personal responsibility isn't their responsibility any more, it's easier to blame someone else. And the legal system is perpetuating the problem by appearing to kill off common sense.

MattC

Head of The CPPS Mole Correction Facility.
Nov 11, 2008
You may want to actually read the 1974 Heath and Safety at Work Act. Its an incredibly simple and easy to read document that has saved countless number of lives since it was introduced.

There were 42 deaths in the construction industry in 09/10. 2585 serious injuries such as burns or amputations. Without that Act there would have been many, many more.

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
From my experience, people tend to be ignorant of their requirements of managing risk and such expose themselves and their workforce and the general public to significant risk that could result in a dangerous situation, or in some cases, tend to over apply risk management, preventing normal activities from being undertaken.

I've had binmen quote me, 'cant take that mate, Health & Safety', and seen electricians balancing one legged off a top of a step ladder to try and drill a hole they couldnt quite reach, so it's hard to find anywhere where Health & Safety law, associated regulations, code of practices, and recomendations are being correctly employed in a measured way using what is considered a 'reasonably practible' approach.

However, as BDN noted, a lot of it is about liability now, where people seem to be scared of falling into a 'no blame no claim' mentality and such use Health & Safety excuses to impose sometimes stupid rules.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
your reply might have contradicted H+S terms... it's a ****ing joke these days, when packets of nuts have to state that "this product may contain nuts" it seems a bit OTT to me.
To highlight Big Mac's post, i had these JUMBO PEANUTS the other day, and laughed when i saw the warning.

2011-05-27 12.49.49.jpg

ALLERGY ADVICE....contains peanuts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!