Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is it racist?

BubbleGumBob

Free Style Baby!
Mar 10, 2007
Reading/Newbury
i remember this was in the news a year or so ago. some guy was working in Chinese/Indian restaurant and he was working in in the kitchen, doing some little job, and opportunity came up to be promoted and become a waiter, now the manger picked a less experienced and someone who had not been working there as long over this guy because he was of the race of the restaurant if that make sense, the guy the took the company to civil court. now is the company racist for wanting the waiters to be same race as the restaurant?

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Really ?

Chinese restaurant, Indian restaurant, or even takeaway. You get invited for dinner, you wont get the time to see the courts;)

JDO

Jon & Chris rock my socks
May 13, 2008
London
According to a legal definition of 'racism', I'd infer that yes, any decision with regards to employment which is discriminatory on the basis of race/religion is deemed as 'racist'

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Being a owner of several takeaways past and present, and been head waiter and manager for a couple restaurants, i find that complete carp.

End of day, someone gets promoted to a better level due to that persons qualification and capabilities to do so from the managements point of view in order and welfare of the business, to better the business.

i find that a load of f@cking boll0cks.

sorry , that was not aimed at anyone here:)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
It could be argued to be racist yes, but it can also be argued that somebody with a Chinese appearance (just using a Chinese restaurant as an example now) fits in better with the image a restaurant wants to present. So in that sense it can be argued that the Chinese kid is better qualified.

Stupid reason to take somebody to court.

Years ago, my friend wouldnt let me work in his familys chinese restaurant because I couldnt speak chinese.
I was going to learn chinese (Cantonese) just to spite him but it took longer than half a day so I gave up.

Really Its only public funded bodies that have the resources to waste avoiding discrimination.

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
Restaurants (in the UK) have special dispensation (in the equal opportunities act) to hire staff who are of a similar ethnic origin as the food that they serve. Something about a more authentic experience...nonetheless, true.

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
Years ago, my friend wouldnt let me work in his familys chinese restaurant because I couldnt speak chinese.
I was going to learn chinese (Cantonese) just to spite him but it took longer than half a day so I gave up.

Really Its only public funded bodies that have the resources to waste avoiding discrimination.

But if knowing chinese is a viital skill then why is it racist?

that's like hiring some one with out a drivers license to be a bus driver.

Infact a better example is at where I work (video games retailer). We cannot discriminate based on age so have to give all applicants the same chance, even those under 18, despite the fact they cannot legally sell age related products and thus cannot do the job.

So when I get a fifteen or sixteen year old come up to me clenching a handful of cv's and asks "do you have to be a certain age to work here?"

Although I have to reply "No, that'd be discrimination based on age."
I know full well they cannot do the job and so wont get it.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Well in that case then most restaurants I have worked in are sexist. They only really for the most part employ young, pretty girls to wait on tables.

But I dont hear anyone complain about that.

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
It could be argued to be racist yes, but it can also be argued that somebody with a Chinese appearance (just using a Chinese restaurant as an example now) fits in better with the image a restaurant wants to present. So in that sense it can be argued that the Chinese kid is better qualified.
Exactly...!!!

Walk into a posh chinese restaurant to find a bunch of Mexican waiters serving would seem a bit odd (dont get me wrong, i have nothing against Mexicans, just an example).